Dany???

5 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

No, that's a fan theory.  It isn't from Martin.

It's not a fan theory, GRRM confirmed this:

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Revanshe: So she won't be able to do it again?

George_RR_Martin: Probably not.

Source (X)

Finally, GOT has turned in to that soap opera with season 6.

Its just likemy areas local films. Recently a extremely well written film failed at the box office, where as a guy with no shirt, girl with sexy dress and some extremely unrealistic stuff was the box office topper.

People like shit. The do not care about reason.

I do..

GoT failed terribly with that last scene.

4 hours ago, Drasanil said:

This all seemed like a really bad plan. The first time she unburnt herself she came out with dragons and got very the dregs of Drogo's horde to follow her, the outcasts and wierdos who either didn't want to be in a real horde or whom where not welcome in one. The kind of people who would be willing to throw in their lot with obvious sorcery. 

This time? She burnt all the Khal's alive and walked out unscathed, why don't superstitious Dothraki who really hate witches kill her for you know... obviously being a witch. She's got no dragons, she burnt down an important religious landmark all while stomping all over Dothraki tradition. 

It'd be like walking into 14th century Vatican randomly burning things while proclaiming your love for Satan and expecting to come out of it as Pope. 

I expect Rodrigo Borgia could have got away with it.

6 hours ago, Morky_Pep said:

I'm all for giving Dany agency, and not having her constantly be saved by her dragon. But the problem with this scene is that it was completely idiotic. Lets look past all these "repetitive" comments and realize this was basically the exact same scene from Season 1. How did this plan make any sense at all? What if the lanterns were up on the sides of the shelter and not in the middle ? What if she was tied up and not let freely walk around? How does this plan make ANY sense. She could have died so easily.

I struggle to see how anyone can watch this and think Dany looked good from that scene. She looked like an idiot lol. 

And also, having Drogon swoop in to save her wouldn't be repetitive if you know, they actually used the Pit scene from the book. They made THAT scene all about deus ex drogon and not about Dany's strength and power. So they had to make THIS scene idiotic. I don't give the writers a pass. If the scene doesn't work than come up with something better. How can anyone think this was a believable scene ?

The rest of the episode was mediocre to great. I loved the Jon and Sansa scenes. It gave me hope for the show, until the end.

This seems to be the received wisdom of the day, but I'm going to challenge it. I've loved Dany's Bad-Ass Bitch attitude as she told the khals they were small-time losers, and her face as they discussed gang-raping her. The expressions showed how she now knows her own strength - not dependent on dragons, and how she's grown from the scared, confused child who survived the burning pyre in S1. That's great character development which would have been lost in some dragon ex machina stunt. I actually give credit to D&D there!

8 hours ago, Risto said:

As I said on the other thread, a bit too much "The Ninth Gate" for my taste... 

Yes, that is exactly what it reminded me of also. Glad I'm not the only one.

Also, if this isn't a dead give-away that Dany is a kind of Biblical destroyer figure, I don't know what is?

5 hours ago, Drasanil said:

This all seemed like a really bad plan. The first time she unburnt herself she came out with dragons and got very the dregs of Drogo's horde to follow her, the outcasts and wierdos who either didn't want to be in a real horde or whom where not welcome in one. The kind of people who would be willing to throw in their lot with obvious sorcery. 

This time? She burnt all the Khal's alive and walked out unscathed, why don't superstitious Dothraki who really hate witches kill her for you know... obviously being a witch. She's got no dragons, she burnt down an important religious landmark all while stomping all over Dothraki tradition. 

It'd be like walking into 14th century Vatican randomly burning things while proclaiming your love for Satan and expecting to come out of it as Pope. 

They didn't kill her because they're afraid of her. She walked into the Dosh Khaleen temple, burned it to the ground and walked out unharmed. In the minds of the Dothraki, what could they possibly do to defeat such power? Also, the Dothraki follow powerful leaders. If the Khals allowed themselves to be killed by a girl, they're obviously not powerful. And if  she managed to defeat the other Khals, she's obviously worthy of their respect.

I'm the first to jump on D&D's throats but that scene made sense in that universe's logic. First, she was not in mortal danger as evidenced by Drogon not showing up. On the contrary, she planned this all along, how else can a short, skinny girl "more pale than milk" convince the whole of the Dothraki nation of her strength? Dragon deux machina was one way and the other was a completely premeditated coup using her fireproofness. Secondly, Dany being heat resistant/fireproof is a pretty consistent feature of GOT from the pilot episode, an impressive feat considering how much retconning/teleporting/nonsensical shit that happens elsewhere. And it's also smart of her to use her ability sparingly. Finally, Dany did it herself, without the dragons' help, a very important character turning point. In the books, her last chapter in ADWD has her reaching out for "fire and blood". It's a very important turning point for her after her struggles in Meereen - if you were to insert that in the show I suppose it would fit somewhere between S5 finale and S6 pilot or somewhere during her journey to Vaes Dothrak. I profess I don't know how she'd win them over in the books but if they won't respect her after finding her with Drogon, then burning down their temple would be a good guess.

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Apparently.  I'm sad this was supposed to be a triumphant moment for her.

It's a recurring theme in the Show.

Burning Mirri alive (as per the books).  Burning Kraznys alive (as per the books, but that was an act of war).  Burning a Meereenese nobleman alive, and then burning a group of Khals alive (the fact that the door was locked shows this was her intention from the outset, regardless of how they would react to her).  The latter aren't in the books.

Despite Barristan warning her that "your father burned men in wildfire and laughed at their screams" her burnings seem to be portrayed as triumphant, badass moments.

7 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I mean, the scene was obviously a deliberate callback to the s1 finale, so by definition it had to be repetitive, at least visually...right? 

Plotwise, I'm not a fan of the same old beats, but we knew we were in for something repetitive one way or another when she went freaking backwards to the Dothraki Sea. 

Was that scene the second fire she must light--the one for death? 

44 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It's a recurring theme in the Show.

Burning Mirri alive (as per the books).  Burning Kraznys alive (as per the books, but that was an act of war).  Burning a Meereenese nobleman alive, and then burning a group of Khals alive (the fact that the door was locked shows this was her intention from the outset, regardless of how they would react to her).  The latter aren't in the books.

Despite Barristan warning her that "your father burned men in wildfire and laughed at their screams" her burnings seem to be portrayed as triumphant, badass moments.

It's a theme in the books, missed by many readers bored by ADWD. Many viewers and readers alike complain that her plot drags because she's not hot-footing it to Westeros and is supposedly hanging around pointlessly in Essos. Worse, some say her return to Vaes Dothrak just takes her storyline back to square one. Very wrong. 

What we're reading/seeing is a very well-crafted gradual transformation of her character. She starts off wide-eyed and idealistic, arriving at Slavers Bay on a crusade to change the world, an exodus to set the captives free. We see her struggling with the dirty world of politics and rulership as her ideals are compromised and eroded. She IS slowly slowly slowly turning into her father.

I predict that after all Tyrion's good work hammering out a deal at Meereen, she's going to return and not give a shit about those who call her Mysha, to the great consternation of Missandera who will die attempting to betray her.  By the time she arrives on Westeros her Fire will be every much a threat to the continent as the Ice of the WWs.

That's the way she's going folks, better get used to it!

49 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

It's a theme in the books, missed by many readers bored by ADWD. Many viewers and readers alike complain that her plot drags because she's not hot-footing it to Westeros and is supposedly hanging around pointlessly in Essos. Worse, some say her return to Vaes Dothrak just takes her storyline back to square one. Very wrong. 

What we're reading/seeing is a very well-crafted gradual transformation of her character. She starts off wide-eyed and idealistic, arriving at Slavers Bay on a crusade to change the world, an exodus to set the captives free. We see her struggling with the dirty world of politics and rulership as her ideals are compromised and eroded. She IS slowly slowly slowly turning into her father.

I predict that after all Tyrion's good work hammering out a deal at Meereen, she's going to return and not give a shit about those who call her Mysha, to the great consternation of Missandera who will die attempting to betray her.  By the time she arrives on Westeros her Fire will be every much a threat to the continent as the Ice of the WWs.

That's the way she's going folks, better get used to it!

Always thought that Danny will be a semi-villain figure, before she would turn good in the end, but it is possible that she won't fight the Others, but will be as a big threat to the world as the Others. As you said, she started as idealistic, but she is getting more evil.

Her father was apparently a nice guy during his childhood, and a good king at the beginning. Then he turned mad and got obsessed with burning people alive. 

57 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

I predict that after all Tyrion's good work hammering out a deal at Meereen, she's going to return and not give a shit about those who call her Mysha,

I quite certain this will be the case. It was hinted at last season, when she said they can live in her new world or die in their old one. The Masters obviously don't want her new world so, according to her line of thought, the only option for them is to die. 

But that doesn't necessarily mean she'll turn into her father. She might conquer Westeros the same way her ancestor did. Aegon I had a similar mentality: kneel and live in his new world, or die.  

7 hours ago, Drasanil said:

I think you will see at least one of the dragons join in by the morning. Further, they won't consider her as just a "witch" because she is a Dothraki through marriage. 

10 hours ago, Morky_Pep said:

And also, having Drogon swoop in to save her wouldn't be repetitive if you know, they actually used the Pit scene from the book. They made THAT scene all about deus ex drogon and not about Dany's strength and power. So they had to make THIS scene idiotic. I don't give the writers a pass. If the scene doesn't work than come up with something better. How can anyone think this was a believable scene ?

The rest of the episode was mediocre to great. I loved the Jon and Sansa scenes. It gave me hope for the show, until the end.

Thank you thank you thank you! This is my biggest gripe with how they used Drogon last season. In the book, Dany "tames" Drogon like a badass, whipping him and getting him to heel. In the show, she closes her eyes and he suddenly magically swoops in to save the day. There was no power in Dany. She was not in control of the situation and did not actively participate until she decided to do that Never-Ending-Story fly away.

If they had stuck with the book version of the Pit, they could have used Drogon to magically "save the day" in this episode and it would not have seemed like a re-hash.

That said, some people are actually liking the fact that it was a call back to season one. I personally prefer shows that are unpredictable and keep me on my toes. I don't want to know what's around the corner and I certainly don't want to see a near scene-by-scene repeat of a previous season. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. 

Archived