Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

6 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The deal was that the last season of the Wire suffered from being truncated.  Also, we switched from the cops, their lives, their targets, and the legal system to the media.  So we were given a whole new cast of characters with a whole other agenda, none of whom we knew.  So we never got enough to time to know them, invest in them, etc.

Every season introduced a new storyline though. S1 was the projects, S2 the docks, S3 City Hall, S4 the scool system, S5 the newspaper. 

New characters were always being introduced. I personally like S5. It just happens to be the weakest season, but certainly not bad. I particularly liked Michael's arc.

I loved the finale too, especially

Bubbles coming up the stairs to be with his family, and McNulty's "wake."

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Okay, shame that it's not as good, but I'm glad it's not a complete drop in quality. All this show needs is a good ending to tie it together, I'm hoping the final episode at least will do the trick for me.

While the last season as a whole was pretty weak compared to the other seasons (although I did love McNulty doing McNulty things...he's probably my favorite TV cop in history), I thought the ending was pretty perfect.  It wasn't the best TV ending ever (that would be The Shield, which is the most satisfying TV ending I've ever seen), but it just did a great job of wrapping up every single story line while at the same time continuing the message of the series that the system is broken and wouldn't change.  The finale of The Wire was great, even if the final season as a whole was not.

Speaking of The Wire, I'm not sure I've ever gone from absolutely hating an actor to loving them like the guy (Frankie Faison) who played Burrell compared to his Banshee character, Sugar Bates.  Clearly the same guy, but I loathed Burrell and love Bates.  Probably the only other character I've hated that much was Rawls, but I can't recall seeing him in anything else where I actually liked him.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

.  So we were given a whole new cast of characters with a whole other agenda, none of whom we knew.  .

I don't think that was the problem with the last season - the storyline with the newspapers was actually the only one in that season that worked for me. Nothing they showed with Mcnulty and the cops worked for me, that was easily the weakes part for me. Plus, as Nictarion said, every season we had a new set of characters. 

The best season of the wire, to me, is a toss up between season 4, 2 and season 1. I'd probably put season 1 over the other two - but 4 & 2 are pretty close to me. 

4 hours ago, briantw said:

Probably the only other character I've hated that much was Rawls, but I can't recall seeing him in anything else where I actually liked him.

I never got too far into Gotham, just past halfway in the first season I think, but John Doman was very good in that as Carmine Falcone. Probably made the mob boss more likeable than Rawls.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

The best season of the wire, to me, is a toss up between season 4, 2 and season 1. I'd probably put season 1 over the other two - but 4 & 2 are pretty close to me. 

For me season 3 is the best. I find Avon and Stringer and their relationship to be among the most interesting parts of the show. I know people worship season four but I think the show suffered a little bit with out those two. 

58 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

For me season 3 is the best. I find Avon and Stringer and their relationship to be among the most interesting parts of the show. I know people worship season four but I think the show suffered a little bit with out those two. 

Middle Ground is by far my favorite episode. 

The rooftop scene is just perfect. 

Agreed. Season 3 was my favorite. It was the conclusion of the Barksdale/Bell arc is why. I enjoyed the politics as well, but that was just the cherry on top. 

I think season 2 gets badly underrated too because of the port stuff. It was kind of right when Stringer Bell was running things, which was really cool, and he was working with Prop Joe and stuff. It was all too short and yeah perhaps the port stuff stepped on it a bit too much. Bell was my favorite character, so I'm biased.

Season 4 was definitely a great season. Problem was I was nostalgic for the Barksdale crew. It was just a different show after. Not that it wasn't still a great show, but it was a bit like I had already watched the ending I was most interested in. Some of Omar's best stuff was in season 4, however.

My problem with season 4, such as it was, was that while that the schoolkid stuff was excellent on its own, perhaps the most powerful stuff in the series, including it in the same show as the police work led to the latter being sidelined and simplified. I read once that Simon had originally intended there to be a spinoff focusing on the school, which HBO didn't go for, and if that's true it's a shame.

11 hours ago, briantw said:

While the last season as a whole was pretty weak compared to the other seasons (although I did love McNulty doing McNulty things...he's probably my favorite TV cop in history), I thought the ending was pretty perfect.  It wasn't the best TV ending ever (that would be The Shield, which is the most satisfying TV ending I've ever seen), but it just did a great job of wrapping up every single story line while at the same time continuing the message of the series that the system is broken and wouldn't change.  The finale of The Wire was great, even if the final season as a whole was not.

Good to hear, that sounds exactly like the kind of ending I was hoping for.

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Speaking of The Wire, I'm not sure I've ever gone from absolutely hating an actor to loving them like the guy (Frankie Faison) who played Burrell compared to his Banshee character, Sugar Bates.  Clearly the same guy, but I loathed Burrell and love Bates.  Probably the only other character I've hated that much was Rawls, but I can't recall seeing him in anything else where I actually liked him.

I dunno, I hated Rawls in the first two seasons but he somehow grew on me in season 3 and now I really enjoy him, even though he's as big a dick as he was before. He's just so good at being a dick, you know? He was great in the COMSTAT scenes in S3.

Burrell and Royce are probably the characters I dislike the most though. Oh, and Clay Davis, funny though he might be.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are pretty much equal to me right now, but I'm expecting 4 to land on top when I finish it. Two is my least favorite but still really good.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Middle Ground is by far my favorite episode. 

The rooftop scene is just perfect. 

I don't think it's my favorite episode but yeah that scene is perfection. I'll probably like it even more when I (inevitably) rewatch it.

1 minute ago, Raja said:

The Wire's biggest contribution to society was this man

I kept hearing about how that was his catchphrase from the show and I kept wondering when he'd finally say it and what made it so special. Absolutely did not disappoint, I must have replayed it 10 times in a row.

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Agreed. Season 3 was my favorite. It was the conclusion of the Barksdale/Bell arc is why. 

Season 4 was definitely a great season. Problem was I was nostalgic for the Barksdale crew..

Exactly which is why even though I feel like the show lost a little spark without them in it I wouldn't change a thing to the conclusion of season 3 which is pretty much perfect television.

It was season 2 that I've consistently admired the most.  An American Tragedy on the screen. The epitaph of the U.S. century. Truly astounding.  I've just returned from some time in PA's coal country and that season could have been made there just as easily.

Those who say that all the other season introduced new characters so this shouldn't have been an issue with Season 5 -- but the new characters were interspersed with other characters we already know, since season 1.  We also lose characters we knew and were invested in, in every season. But season 5 is just about all new ones, and the old characters are not doing well.  The saving grace though -- man, David Simon & Co. are such good writers -- was Bubble's redemption.  He had conquered his demons so far as to be able to be back in the family house at the family dinner.  But o lordessa, the fate of some of the others -- one just cried for Dukie.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I never got too far into Gotham, just past halfway in the first season I think, but John Doman was very good in that as Carmine Falcone. Probably made the mob boss more likeable than Rawls.

I lost interest in Gotham during the course of the first season, but I wouldn't exactly consider Falcone likable.  He's a bad guy on that show.  Frankie Faison, on the other hand, is a likable guy on Banshee.  

I watched the film Dope the other night. 3 high school kids in Inglewood, CA who love 90s hip hop culture get caught up in drugs. It was entertaining. Having been a teen in the 90s, I loved all of the cultural references.

Archived