Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

^^^

Loved Justified.

Watching my usual- Thrones, Penny Dread, Outlander...

Google Fiber JUST got AMC, so I've set the DVR and will watch everything available to download so I can be caught up.

I Just finished the latest season of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries and caught up on Wynonna Earp, which I thought I would hate, and don't at all.

Trying to make use of HBO On-Demand before I cancel my service in two week, I decided to watch some terrible fantasy tonight with a double feature of Van Helsing and The Brothers Grimm.  I'm only halfway through the latter, but it's just as bad as I remember - although it is funny watching Cersei and the High Sparrow chew up some scenery together in an 11 year old movie.

10 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Trying to make use of HBO On-Demand before I cancel my service in two week, I decided to watch some terrible fantasy tonight with a double feature of Van Helsing and The Brothers Grimm.  I'm only halfway through the latter, but it's just as bad as I remember - although it is funny watching Cersei and the High Sparrow chew up some scenery together in an 11 year old movie.

You should have done a triple feature with Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters! That would have been flat out awful.

Grimm would have been the highlight though.

On ‎13‎-‎6‎-‎2016 at 6:10 PM, SkynJay said:

Knowing it would be hard to beat this I have finally done what everyone in the world says I should have done years ago, started The Wire.  Eight episodes in and yes, I think everyone was right.  Ill ride this one for the next few months.

Coincidentally I have just started The Wire as well, and am also 8 episodes in. It's looking it'll be worth the €50 I spend on the Complete Series box set. This is probably going to be one of my favorites.

On 6/13/2016 at 0:10 PM, SkynJay said:

I have finished a five month binge on Justified.  A couple episodes a week.  I loved it, one of the best series I have watched top to bottom.  The first season had a great debut then floundered for a while but one they started focusing on the Crowder clan it all came together so nicely. And for season six to bring in a perfect cast and end so damn well; bravo.  Mary Steenburgan and Sam Elliott were amazing, and Duffy calling 911 was perhaps the best scene in the whole series.

Knowing it would be hard to beat this I have finally done what everyone in the world says I should have done years ago, started The Wire.  Eight episodes in and yes, I think everyone was right.  Ill ride this one for the next few months.

7 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Coincidentally I have just started The Wire as well, and am also 8 episodes in. It's looking it'll be worth the €50 I spend on the Complete Series box set. This is probably going to be one of my favorites.

Justified was awesome. I felt every character they brought on it was extremely interesting even if some were total scumbags and totally unlikable.

The Wire IMO the best tv show of all time and one of my favorites. 

I watch the series at least once a year. Gotta do so again in the near future. 

On 6/15/2016 at 0:55 PM, Harakiri said:

The Wire IMO the best tv show of all time and one of my favorites. 

I watch the series at least once a year. Gotta do so again in the near future. 

I've been doing a Wire rewatch myself, and it's definitely one of the best ever. Don't think I could do it every year though, it's so depressing.

8 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Rome is now available to stream on HBO NOW.They also released a new trailer

Oh man,how i miss this show.:(

The first season of Rome was as good as anything they ever did. Shame they had to rush everything into the second season.

6 hours ago, Kindly Old Man said:

I've been doing a Wire rewatch myself, and is definitely one of the best ever. Don't think I could do it every year though, it's so depressing.

Yea it really is. It's just so bleak and you feel helpless towards the later seasons when Marlo and his crew come to the forefront. 

Watched Embrace of the Serpent, a Colombian/Amazonian film about two separate explorers in different times searching the Amazon for a mysterious plant while guided by a shaman. Very good. Bit of an Apocalypse Now vibe to it, though perhaps less intense (not that it's not intense at times) but what's really interesting is that it really takes care to consider the native perspective and portray said Shaman as a real, conflicted, developing character rather than taking a rather patronising, paternalistic view and making him a 'magical Indian' type. Well worth a watch.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah it really is. Rome might not be the best thing HBOs ever put out but it's probably my favorite. 

The second season had great moments, but HBO kind of screwed them and made them rush and condense two seasons into one. 

I haven't watched the entire series in a while, I actually started to watch it again because of this thread haha.

16 hours ago, Harakiri said:

The second season had great moments, but HBO kind of screwed them and made them rush and condense two seasons into one. 

I haven't watched the entire series in a while, I actually started to watch it again because of this thread haha.

Yeah, the Rome decision is one of my least favourite tv exec moves of all time. All things considered they did okay in season 2, but the arcs just accelerated too quickly and you lost a lot of developmental moments. Still great, but also very 'what might have been' in comparison with S1. Shame, too, that Purefoy probably paid the biggest price; his character suddenly developed in chunks relative to, say, Caesar S1. He did well with it, but it was herky-jerky. 

7 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Yeah, the Rome decision is one of my least favourite tv exec moves of all time. All things considered they did okay in season 2, but the arcs just accelerated too quickly and you lost a lot of developmental moments. Still great, but also very 'what might have been' in comparison with S1. Shame, too, that Purefoy probably paid the biggest price; his character suddenly developed in chunks relative to, say, Caesar S1. He did well with it, but it was herky-jerky. 

I probably prefer one part of it to S1 though, simply cause of how it actually showed what Vorenus and Pullo should have been.  Season 1 used them in ridiculous ways. Season 2 was still ridiculous, but it was mitigated.

Also: Watching Orange is the New Black: Piper is still a bitch, and the least interesting bitch in the prison at that. Nancy 2.0...except Nancy started out more fun.

13 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Eh, I really didn't enjoy S2 that much, but that's probably because I consider S1 one of the 10 best single seasons on T.V. ever.

Has anyone else been watching O.J.: Made in America? I found it to be incredibly fascinating, and as someone who was in first grade when the trial happened, it really helped explain every aspect of the trial and the surrounding events that led up to it. 

19 hours ago, Harakiri said:

Just catching up on this thread and I feel the same about ROME. I remember back in the day the agony of waiting for the season two DVD sets to go on sale for a decent price.(What broke ass college kids had to do back in the dark ages before high speed Internet and streaming video.) Season two was good, but unfortunately rushed like so many have mentioned, and because of that it did pale in comparison to the brilliance of season one. 

And on the subject of mishandled HBO series, I also feel like Deadwood didn't get a proper wrap-up.

Me, I just wrapped up Brooklyn Nine-Nine S3 & Banshee S4. Keeping up with current episodes of GoT (naturally) and Silicon Valley (Why is TJ Miller not the most powerful man in Hollywood?!?) and starting up OITB S4 tonight!

Archived