Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

I'm watching the Spectacular Now at the moment. I'm bored as shit really, when will stuff start happening. Everyone in this looks way to old to be in high school. I wonder how long it will take before they go over into tearjerker territory. I'm 90% sure they are going to have an alcohol induced car crash. Hope it will be better at that point. 

32 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I'm watching the Spectacular Now at the moment. I'm bored as shit really, when will stuff start happening. Everyone in this looks way to old to be in high school. I wonder how long it will take before they go over into tearjerker territory. I'm 90% sure they are going to have an alcohol induced car crash. Hope it will be better at that point. 

i found that film pretty boring tbh as much as i quite like the two lead actors and i love lil romance films 

17 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

i found that film pretty boring tbh as much as i quite like the two lead actors and i love lil romance films 

I just finished it. What a pretentious piece of crap this was. Truly a vapid waste of film and more importantly my time. This is definitely the worst (as well as most overrated) romantic comedy I have seen since the dreadful Say Anything. The plot is utterly predictable. The protagonists are fucking losers and their romance is Twilight levels of awful. Everyone in this looks way to old to be in high school and no one really acts like an actual person would. It tries so hard to be edgy and real, but the only thing it does is scream first world problems. I want to fucking slap the shit out of all these people. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I just finished it. What a pretentious piece of crap this was. Truly a vapid waste of film and more importantly my time. This is definitely the worst (as well as most overrated) romantic comedy I have seen since the dreadful Say Anything. The plot is utterly predictable. The protagonists are fucking losers and their romance is Twilight levels of awful. Everyone in this looks way to old to be in high school and no one really acts like an actual person would. It tries so hard to be edgy and real, but the only thing it does is scream first world problems. I want to fucking slap the shit out of all these people. 

not gonna feature on any of your top ten lists then? :lol: 

I don't see what's wrong with a new Watership Down, it's a great book and the old film was my childhood favourite. Is it such a horrible thing that a whole bunch of kids from the newer generation might be exposed to it.

6 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

I watched the movie "The Wailing" yesterday. A Korean supernatural thriller from director/writer Hong-jin Na that's getting rave reviews(100% on rottentomatoes). It was long as hell but very good. It was all pretty straight forward, until the end where things get pretty crazy and kind of complicated. I had to youtube an interpretation of what the hell just happened. It didn't help that I watched over 2 days either but there was some stuff I missed and some lore that I just didn't understand. The main character was annoying as hell sometimes but overall it's very well done. A rewatch is definitely in order at some point.

Also, anyone ever see "The Chaser" or "The Yellow Sea" by Na? This guy has me very intrigued with his other stuff.

Seen both, enjoyed both. Chaser was great while Yellow Sea was 'merely' pretty good, tad too long and meandering for me (I'm pretty sure Chaser is under twenty minutes shorter but it felt a lot tighter) but still an enjoyable film with a few more humorous and absurdist moments to it while remaining pretty sombre for the most part when compared to Chaser which is pretty straight faced and grounded.

Though Chaser does have what I'm pretty sure is the most realistic chase scene in film.

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Say Anything is brilliant. 

On September 8, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Veltigar said:

Oh boy, wait until you reach the final episode of S1 :P If you have read the novels, you know what is coming, but for me (who did not, so I had no clue what I was in for) that ending was absolute shite. 

Reveal hidden contents

Fucking cows, I'm still sour about it.

That's why I'm torn about starting season 2

On episode 14, and holy crap it's bad. It can't decide what it wants to be...first Claire and Jenny go all Last of the Mohicans, including the obligatory hand gesture above a track and finding fresh dung, then it's a torture/murder moral melodrama, now it's a farcical roadshow. Just, wow. 

Edit: my god, now they're onto intellectual property!

14 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

not gonna feature on any of your top ten lists then? :lol: 

Definitely not :P Although, if I ever get to work for the CIA this would probably be a good movie for the top ten best films to illegally torture prisoners with.

12 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

I don't see what's wrong with a new Watership Down, it's a great book and the old film was my childhood favourite. Is it such a horrible thing that a whole bunch of kids from the newer generation might be exposed to it.

... The newer generation could just watch the old film. Problem solved. Aside from an excellent film, you also have a great book, an excellent series and you can all just rewatch/reread them. What could yet another version bring to the table that is new and exciting creatively (the exception being if it's a live-action version with the cast dressed like bunnies to act out the story). Especially because you know what is going to happen. They'll make it completely save and bland, so that overprotective parents won't complain about the content, because heaven forbid children are exposed to something artistically daring.

12 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Say Anything is brilliant. 

It's shite. The only good thing about it is the song Peter Gabriel contributed. For the rest it is cringey, awkward and the ending is godawful. Sure, let's both ruin our life. 

Spoiler

She by dragging around that fucking deadbeat to London and he by trying to hitch his wagen to hers. The whole relationship around which the movie is constructed is toxic as shit, but the movie does not recognize that. At least the graduate had that great ending where both lovers realized what a mess they had made.

3 hours ago, James Arryn said:

You will have to refresh my memory on this one :P Is it the shameless rip-off of the Pieta pose? 

3 hours ago, James Arryn said:

On episode 14, and holy crap it's bad. It can't decide what it wants to be...first Claire and Jenny go all Last of the Mohicans, including the obligatory hand gesture above a track and finding fresh dung, then it's a torture/murder moral melodrama, now it's a farcical roadshow. Just, wow. 

You can now see why I can't decide whether I should watch season two or not:P 

7 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I really didn't like the back half of season one (and have no intention of watching season two). By the end I was just watching for the cinematography.

Whew, I've watched like 30 episodes of Fringe this week because I saw that Netflix is dropping it today. I just looked up an episode on IMDB and clicked the Amazon link to see if they had possibly picked it up, and thankfully they have! So, I guess I can slow down a little bit...

Out of morbid curiosity (and because it was free to watch on NowTV) I watched last year's Fantastic Four film. It's a bit of a frustrating film because it the initial set-up could have made for a half-decent film but it seems to spend about an hour and a bit on the origin story then rushes through a fairly perfunctory finale. It was watchable but never really did anything memorable or interesting. I remember one review from when it came out describing it as feeling like 'a 90 minute prologue for a different and probably superior film that will never get made' and that's quite an apt description.

Just watched Cafe Society, which was pleasant enough. It's set in 1930s LA & NYC. Steve Carrell is good, but in an underwritten part, as a fast dealing, successful Hollywood agent. Jesse Eisenberg plays his nephew come out to Hollywood. Kristen Stewart (who is surprisingly bearable) is the girl they are both gunning for. It's light on substance, but like I wrote, pleasant enough.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

Whew, I've watched like 30 episodes of Fringe this week because I saw that Netflix is dropping it today. I just looked up an episode on IMDB and clicked the Amazon link to see if they had possibly picked it up, and thankfully they have! So, I guess I can slow down a little bit...

Fuuuuuuuuck.  Fringe dropped from Amazon Prime last night too :angry:  I had made it through s04e17.  Frustrating. 

On September 11, 2016 at 0:37 AM, RedEyedGhost said:

I really didn't like the back half of season one (and have no intention of watching season two). By the end I was just watching for the cinematography.

...and to Velt;

So, finally finished S1 of Outlander. Menzies' performance continues to be the main reason to watch, but yeah...the show itself is sagging. I wonder if they have too many contributing writers, or just excessive narrative ideas, but the flips are getting in the way. Murtagh offering metaphysical advice on Jaime's depression was out of nowhere, and I don't get Randall's entire motivation in the extended rape scene; some of his actions seem designed solely to fuck up Jaime and Claire long-term, but wasn't he going to kill him when he was done?

And the awkward over kissing scene at the beach was like out of a HS production, and again jarring against the whole rape/catharsis thing. The confession to the priest had a role in the books because of carry-over in France, but here they staged that in Scotland and then left, so I'm wondering why they bothered with it. And I wonder if Jaime's mom's admirers are going to keep popping out of the woodwork w/e the plot needs impetus.

12 hours ago, The Lone Rider said:

Saw Michael Mann's Collateral. Why did I only do this just now ? All this time I kept thinking Tom Cruise's only good performance was Magnolia  

Easily his two best, imo. 

Good movie overall too. I put it slightly behind Last of the Mohicans and Heat, but there's no shame in that.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Easily his two best, imo. 

Good movie overall too. I put it slightly behind Last of the Mohicans and Heat, but there's no shame in that.

Yeah. Heat might be my all time favorite heist film. Also, another one of Cruise's memorable performances was that producer role in tropic thunder. 

Heat might also have been one of the last movies were Pacino and De Niro gave a damn 

Archived