Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

I saw Now You See Me 2 and it managed to be more ridiculous than the first one. Such a great cast, but the script was just riddled with cliches, character choices that were baffling, and overall logic gaps. 

20 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Just got back from seeing Hell or Highwater. Really, really good movie. Not terribly familiar with the director (David MacKenzie), think the only other thing I've seen by him was Young Adam, which was just ok. This was right up my alley though. Crime drama with a western feel. Apparently from the same writer as Sicario. I'm making seeing that a priority soon I swear. I've seen comparisons of HoHW to No Country for Old Men, and that's apt. Little more dark humor in this one though. I was suprised I laughed quite a few times, in what is a pretty bleak and serious movie. Great performances all around. Jeff Bridges basically played Rooster Coburn 2.0, and Ben Foster was as good as always. Chris Pine was the one that suprised me though. Never thought much of him before this, but he was good. Best movie I've seen in a while.

I was on the fence about this one based on the trailer, but I think I may try to get to the theater to see it tomorrow. And I'd lower expectations for Sicario. It's an okay film, but not a great one. 

I've got a couple of days at home so I'm finally getting around to watching Utopia.

(Thank goodness for Channel 4 sticking pretty much every show they've ever aired on All 4.)

It's very British. And pretty gory. It's actually very refreshing. And it's looks amazing in terms of the framing of shots and the colouring.

ETA: couple of bits of shit science in it though. That makes me sad. There's no need. It's just lazy.

I'm trying to watch the first episode of Outlander's second season. I'm really struggling with it. In particular 

Spoiler

I find that I'm completely uninterested in Frank and Claire's reunion. I don't give a crap about the romance plot of this series, never have really. I just want her to get her ass back to 18th century Scotland to travel around and experience some swashbuckling adventures while (futely) trying to change the course of history. And without either cows or that fucking annoying voice-over. Those elements should be dropped from the show alltogether. 

So a couple of questions to everyone who has finished season two:

Spoiler

Does it take a lot of time before she goes back to 18th century Scotland? 
Do you think this second season was better than season one?
Are their cows/a lot of voice-over?

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I've got a couple of days at home so I'm finally getting around to watching Utopia.

(Thank goodness for Channel 4 sticking pretty much every show they've ever aired on All 4.)

It's very British. And pretty gory. It's actually very refreshing. And it's looks amazing in terms of the framing of shots and the colouring.

ETA: couple of bits of shit science in it though. That makes me sad. There's no need. It's just lazy.

I'm sad they cancelled it. The second season was a pretty big stepdown (apart from 02X01, which was great), but it was still a very unique viewing experience. It deserved more time. 

Unexpectedly not home alone...have now watched a couple of episodes of Danish 'drama' Dicte. I feel there must be some sub-genre of crime drama that exists in Denmark which I just do not get. On the one hand this show is gritty and quite dark in its subject matter. On the other hand, why does literally every character keep bringing up sex and dating in every conversation? Even when two characters are discussing an investigation they just veer off and start talking about dating instead - what kind of bullshit is this? It's like a fucking soap opera. And it's done in a real 'girly' flimsy way. It's bloody awful and it's ruining the show for me. Finally, everyone is so bloody unprofessional - people act with no regard for patient confidentiality or protecting sources. Maybe they learned some lessons from Homeland?

Has anyone else watched this? I'll give the third episode a go but if it's still riddled with the same shitty, cliched crap about dating and sex then I doubt I'll reach the end of that episode.

On 9/5/2016 at 3:23 PM, Veltigar said:

I'm sad they cancelled it. The second season was a pretty big stepdown (apart from 02X01, which was great), but it was still a very unique viewing experience. It deserved more time. 

A great movie that took me a long time for me to get around to watching, because I didn't think I could handle watching 2 hours in a car.. but it turns out I could!

Rewatched the first episode of Hannibal last night. This is the 3rd time I've attempted to get into the show. It being on Netflix now gives me more incentive, but that first episode is pretty horrible in terms of writing. It jumps all over the place, has logic jumps and expects you to care about characters that are barely more than cartoons. The main 'autistic' detective is a laughable cliche of a character, possibly the least believable actor for the role. 

If it wasn't for Mads and his nice suits I would have just given up, but I will keep trying. 

On another note, watched the first episode of Halt and Catch Fire, which I found very enjoyable, it helps that Scoot McNairy is one of those actors I just love watching. 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

A great movie that took me a long time for me to get around to watching, because I didn't think I could handle watching 2 hours in a car.. but it turns out I could!

Wrong person to quote ;) 

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

If it wasn't for Mads and his nice suits I would have just given up, but I will keep trying. 

It takes a while to free itself from its TV-procedural shackles, but when it does, it is glorious :) 

1 minute ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

How long are we talking? That first episode was pretty painful.. even if it did hint at something better than a nice looking CSI / Dexter.

From episode 7 onwards, IIRC, it really starts to fade away. In season two the procedural aspects are almost completely absent :) 

Nearly forgot - I watched Kill Your Friends last week and it was frankly a bit of a let down. The story followed reasonably closely to the events in the book but it just felt muted. The book is pretty punchy and shocking. The protagonist is fucking horrible but it's really difficult to 'look away'. I just found him a bit obvious and predictable in the film. Nicholas Hoult is believeable in the role but I think he could do better if he was given more to work with. The book is screamingly funny and dark but the film just feels watered down and washed out.

I have seen comparisons made with American Psycho but it's not really as simple as that. The only things the books have in common is that the protagonist is a sociopath and that there is some, I don't know, contemporary social commentary included but they are not 'the same story' so to speak. The only other thing they have in common is that the book contains much more graphic awfulness than the film.

I don't know. I just expected more. Has anyone else read the book/seen the film?

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched Goon which was surprisingly fucking awesome. Much better than I was expecting. 

Second best hockey movie after Slapshot imo. I wasn't expecting to like it so much either. It has a lot of heart. Take out the annoying Jay Baruchel character it would have been just about perfect. 

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Second best hockey movie after Slapshot imo. I wasn't expecting to like it so much either. It has a lot of heart. Take out the annoying Jay Baruchel character it would have been just about perfect. 

Goon is my absolute go-to movie when someone asks for a unappreciated movie. Everything about it screams awful, from the cover to the main star. But its a touching, yet hilarious sports movie that warmed my cockles!

I'm now 3 episodes into Hannibal and I cannot say its getting better, if anything it has got worse. The writing is lousy, full of utterly illogical moments and coincidences that would be unforgivable in an episode of Revenge or Bold and Beautiful. 

I  see the huge logic gaps and thinly drawn cartoonish characters, and I am struggling. I'm going to try and get through the whole season in the hope that Mads will save the show.

Archived