Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:14 PM, Ramsay Blow said:

^^^ What did you think of Outcast and Animal Kingdom? I watched the debut episode of Outcast and a few episodes of AK. Was gonna finish Outcast out but kind of thought I would get bored over time with it, did that happen with you?

I thought Outcast was excellent...  really well done, and creepy as fuck....

Animal Kingdom, much less so... it was OK for a TNT show... it has potential but its not there yet.... mainly I watched it because I had nothing else going on Tuesday nights at ten

Watched The Lobster last night. I thought it was pretty good. Very Kafkaesque, especially The Castle, but also I guess Metamorphosis too. One quibble would be that in such an ambiguous film perhaps the ending itself could have been a little bit less ambiguous?

Why the two star reviews on Netflix though? Do people need literally everything spelled out to them before they can understand a film? Or I should say, before they can enjoy a film?

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Watched The Lobster last night. I thought it was pretty good. Very Kafkaesque, especially The Castle, but also I guess Metamorphosis too. One quibble would be that in such an ambiguous film perhaps the ending itself could have been a little bit less ambiguous?

Why the two star reviews on Netflix though? Do people need literally everything spelled out to them before they can understand a film? Or I should say, before they can enjoy a film?

Its a difficult movie to watch for some people. It doesn't follow a standard hollywood formula and I can imagine a lot of people not 'getting it'. The humour is unusual and quite dry and almost unnoticable to some. I wouldn't recommend to most people, even though I basically loved it. 

Watched Gone Girl. All the twists started becoming pretty obvious as soon as she was robbed, and the last 20 minutes or so were deeply unsatisfying to watch, but otherwise I liked it. (what a fucking fruitloop, by the way)

Also saw Heart of a Lion, about a neo-Nazi who starts dating a woman with a black kid. The acting from the main guy, his brother and the kid was really good, and it had some hilarious moments and some touching ones, but the plot was completely shit at points. Like the wife (and her black ex-husband) just letting the main dude's unrepentant Nazi brother move into her house with the kid while she was away.

Just rewatched the Road Warrior. The film can't hold a candle to Fury Road, but it's still damn good. The action was great, I like the worldbuilding and Mad Mel did a very good job acting the shit out of everything. The best thing about the movie though, is its pacing. At 95 minutes, it's very brief and there is never a dull moment in there. I wish we could have shorter movies again. Nowadays everything seems to be going on longer and longer. 

9 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its a difficult movie to watch for some people. It doesn't follow a standard hollywood formula and I can imagine a lot of people not 'getting it'. The humour is unusual and quite dry and almost unnoticable to some. I wouldn't recommend to most people, even though I basically loved it. 

I remember seeing that director's first film (Dogtooth). Oh, if I could just get the time and money I wasted on that piece of shit back I'd be a happy man. I have yet to see the Lobster (I had a chance last year during a film festival but I went to Hsiao-Hsien Hou's The Assassin instead); mainly because of that disappointing first feature. A shame really, because the plot is quite interesting. 

8 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Watched Gone Girl. All the twists started becoming pretty obvious as soon as she was robbed, and the last 20 minutes or so were deeply unsatisfying to watch, but otherwise I liked it. (what a fucking fruitloop, by the way)

I read that book, hated it quite intensely, and still watched the movie.  The movie might have been a bit better, mostly because it was over so much sooner.  I liked the movie Dark Places much more, but I doubt I'll ever read another of her books.

I binged Stranger Things on Sunday, it was great.  Those kids did an amazing job, but I think the casting director deserves just as many props there.

On August 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I thought Outcast was excellent...  really well done, and creepy as fuck....

Animal Kingdom, much less so... it was OK for a TNT show... it has potential but its not there yet.... mainly I watched it because I had nothing else going on Tuesday nights at ten

Cool. I'll finish Outcast sooner or later as I do love most things horror. Give Animal Kingdom the movie a chance if you haven't already.

I watched Wild Tales the other day and it definitely lived up to its title. The last wedding tale was pure fucking insanity, in a good way. I highly recommend it.

On 8/15/2016 at 1:40 PM, Mark Antony said:

Ep 4 of Vice Principals had probably the funniest/best acid trip I've seen on tv/movies. 

It was really funny, but I'm already losing interest in the show. It's just not that funny outside of a few moments.

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It was really funny, but I'm already losing interest in the show. It's just not that funny outside of a few moments.

I'd recommend sticking around for Ep 5, it's been my favourite of the bunch 

I'm midway through my rewatch of Lost and I just started season 4. I had forgotten how big of a stylistic shift season 4 is compared to the prior seasons. I'm also surprised by how much I enjoyed the previous seasons, even the beginning episodes of season 3 which I have been... intensely critical of from time to time. This is a show that really benefits from being able to binge watch. The slow parts feel less slow, the plot fakeouts feel less artificial, and the developments feel actually fairly natural at times. Even though I know where it's going (ugh, season 6) I'm really enjoying the rewatch so far. Despite how it ended, Lost still remains a largely great show and a very important one for the changing TV landscape.

I watched Green Room which was fucking amazing. I think I liked it even more than Blue Ruin, but I don't know if that's fair to say right now.

I also watched North By Northwest for the first time and, I know I'm going to get shit for this, but it was boring. Actually, that's not fair, the first part of the movie was pretty good, some paranoia, some humor, but once it turns into a romance, I just lost interest. It doesn't help that Cary Grant and his character in the movie, Thornhill, just did not interest me in the slightest and his chemistry with the 'love interest' felt nonexistent. Blech overall.

Watched the Get Down. A very good show. Has the potential for brilliance if they keep can keep it up going forward. The pilot was very beautiful, but I think I actually liked the later episodes more, especially the final ones. It definitely didn't turn into a rom com, as someone mentioned above. The romance is actually one of the show's weakest parts so far, and they wisely didn't put the focus on it. Lots of the characters are very focused on their quests and artistic pursuits, and this is what really makes the show work. There isn't a lot of time wasting episodes either, so far.

It's a bit of a mess too, in that it hops genres, but so far it's kept together and I've enjoyed watching. Very good at showing art being produced, and even the barriers that can get between artists and their creation.

Jimmy Smits has a fantastic part in it as well, which is reason enough to watch a show for me, but they have a lot going for them. Lots of great casting for the young people in it.

Watched Mr. Robot. Fantastic episode. Some pretty big reveals.

On 17/08/2016 at 4:06 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The first part reminded me really really clealy of The Castle by Kafka, i.e. it's at times so bleak and futile that you feel totally floored by how miserable an existence that must be, but on the other hand some events are so outlandlish and outrageously awful that it has you screaming with laughter. It's a great balance between the two. I loved that aspect of it.

I have caught up with Another Period. There is just one episode left to go (sadly, I'll have to wait untill next week like everyone else). It's still really funny imo, I like the characters immensely and the cast is great. Sitcoms aren't usually my thing, because I tire of them pretty quickly, but this is still going strong. I wonder how many people are watching it, because I don't hear anyone talking about it. It would be a shame if it were cancelled because no one is watching it.

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Yes, South Park is coming back on the 14th :) I hope that this new season will be as great as the previous one :)

7 hours ago, Durckad said:

I also watched North By Northwest for the first time and, I know I'm going to get shit for this, but it was boring. Actually, that's not fair, the first part of the movie was pretty good, some paranoia, some humor, but once it turns into a romance, I just lost interest. It doesn't help that Cary Grant and his character in the movie, Thornhill, just did not interest me in the slightest and his chemistry with the 'love interest' felt nonexistent. Blech overall.

Not at all, you pretty much described how I felt about the movie. If I had to draft a list of the most overrated movies of all times, there would be a really good chance that I'd put this one on it. I was particularly disappointed by it because I had seen Vertigo a few weeks before and that movie was as good as advertised. 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I have caught up with Another Period. There is just one episode left to go (sadly, I'll have to wait untill next week like everyone else). It's still really funny imo, I like the characters immensely and the cast is great. Sitcoms aren't usually my thing, because I tire of them pretty quickly, but this is still going strong. I wonder how many people are watching it, because I don't hear anyone talking about it. It would be a shame if it were cancelled because no one is watching it.

I'm watching it, I think it's great. I think being on Comedy Central might hurt it a bit. Maybe it's just me, but it's been awhile since I felt like one of their new shows was "must watch" material, the way I feel a lot of HBO, FX, AMC, NetFlix, etc, etc shows are. But they've been quietly building a nice roster of shows like Another Period, Drunk History, Broad City, and Amy Schumer that are changing my mind about that. The fact that a lot of them have women in lead roles and in the writing room doesn't hurt, either.

Doing a rewatch of Spartacus, as I never ended up finishing the final season back when it originally aired.  I really like the first two seasons of the show.  Everything with Batiatus and his scheming is fantastic.  The show loses a bit of steam heading into season three (technically season two, but I could Gods of the Arena as the second season since that's the way the show aired).  It's still entertaining, though.  And that's really what the show was meant to be...pure entertainment. 

6 hours ago, matt b said:

I'm watching it, I think it's great. I think being on Comedy Central might hurt it a bit. Maybe it's just me, but it's been awhile since I felt like one of their new shows was "must watch" material, the way I feel a lot of HBO, FX, AMC, NetFlix, etc, etc shows are. But they've been quietly building a nice roster of shows like Another Period, Drunk History, Broad City, and Amy Schumer that are changing my mind about that. The fact that a lot of them have women in lead roles and in the writing room doesn't hurt, either.

I like Another Period, in small doses. Most of the time, though, I feel like they're trying too hard.

The only other Comedy Central show I watch is Review, and it's definitely must see for me. Direct line to my funny bone.

Watched Sausage Party. If you've seen the trailers, you already know whether or not you'll like this one. It's super raunchy, highly offensive, and loaded with food puns. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some of the jokes were lame, but many were hilarious, and the story (an allegory about religion) was smarter than I expected. Definitely don't take the kids.

I've been watching The Get Down, it's pretty good although also uneven and occasionally kinda corny. The Hip-Hop bits are the best part, the romance storyline is pretty boring though and surprisingly enough, I'm really interested in seeing where they will go with Jaden's character. I also really liked how they portrayed Grandmaster Flash and Kool Herc as they were some wise, old Kung-Fu Masters.

Archived