HBO's Westworld- Enter the maze [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It also kind of makes him appear less sinister. 

It really did. And I'm worried that the more video game-y the park is, the less compelling it will become. If Ford is the only one that really has a sinister agenda, that makes the conflicts a lot less interesting to me. 

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

It really did. And I'm worried that the more video game-y the park is, the less compelling it will become. If Ford is the only one that really has a sinister agenda, that makes the conflicts a lot less interesting to me. 

I laughed when Logan grabbed the other guy's gun and said "Upgrade!". Every RPG gamer's main purpose:P

36 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I laughed when Logan grabbed the other guy's gun and said "Upgrade!". Every RPG gamer's main purpose:P

That bit was hilarious, and I think the show is better off for embracing that side of itself. I just want to make sure that it has an overall deeper plot than just "everyone's favorite theme park is ruined by the creator going mad scientist." Which is why I wonder if the MiB's foundation, Logan and William's family/business, and the Delos corporate board are going to all be coming into conflict with each other and if that will be one of the main overarching plotlines of the show.

10 hours ago, Astromech said:

I had to check whether Armistice always had the snake tattoo. I thought maybe it was added later for Ford's new storyline. Nope always there.

When she appeared first I thought it was a burn scar, didn't realise it was a tattoo until she reappeared.

And MiB really became more relatable in this episode.

Mechanics of the park also got a bit more clear. Storylines definitely happen in something approaching real time, with some resetting continuously. Families are monitored to try and keep them away from the gory stuff.

I think Delores has a clone body that Bernard talks to which can channel her when she's asleep. I can't think how else the talks can work without her being whisked away impossibly stealthily, or with quite a bit of deliberate misdirection from the writers.

Hopkins smashed it out of the park, no one does it quite like him. (just realised, that pun was unintentional.)

Can't wait for Wyatt to appear, he said he has the voice of god talking to him, which is presumably Arnold. Do they have the tech to fully upload a persons memories, could Arnold proper be in Wyatt's head?

1 hour ago, Fez said:

That bit was hilarious, and I think the show is better off for embracing that side of itself. I just want to make sure that it has an overall deeper plot than just "everyone's favorite theme park is ruined by the creator going mad scientist." Which is why I wonder if the MiB's foundation, Logan and William's family/business, and the Delos corporate board are going to all be coming into conflict with each other and if that will be one of the main overarching plotlines of the show.

I don't know about Westworld turning into a corporate intrigue show, that is much less interesting that robots gaining consciousness, even if it's old hat.  This last episode seemed to cement that Hopkins is indeed batshit insane in the long tradition of mad scientists out to play god, but I'm okay w/that.  

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't know about Westworld turning into a corporate intrigue show, that is much less interesting that robots gaining consciousness, even if it's old hat.  This last episode seemed to cement that Hopkins is indeed batshit insane in the long tradition of mad scientists out to play god, but I'm okay w/that.  

I dont see why both corporate intrigue and AI gaining consciousness themes couldnt unfold in the same overall story. I dont see one ruining the story of the other in a either, or, plot. They can be tandem developments.

Also i'm not sure I view Ford as batshit insane mad scientist. We havent been shown his entire motivations yet. If I had to pick a side between the corporate characters or Ford so far, I support Ford overwhelmingly over the pencil necks.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I think Delores has a clone body that Bernard talks to which can channel her when she's asleep. I can't think how else the talks can work without her being whisked away impossibly stealthily, or with quite a bit of deliberate misdirection from the writers.

Come to think of it,absolutely none of the other hosts have worn clothes when being questioned. We even witnessed Ford losing his shit over seeing a tech talk to one clothed the other week. So Bernards conversations are either very secretive or they are so virtual interface.

Fell asleep watching the new episode, so will have to backtrack on half the episode.

I'm starting to think MiB is after some Arnold based tech and that Arnold hid it within the game. Why Ford isn't interested in this yet is up in the air.

Yeah, I've dialed back to thinking odds are all of this is taking place in a single timeframe, we're not seeing the past since I think that Hemsworth has discussed both man in black and delores being off her loop, so unless HE is a robot and so doesn't age...then both these things are happening in the now, no?  I'm still not 100% on Bernard not being a robot.....

I agree, MiB definitely knows...but how did he find out....about whatever crazy code Arnold embedded in the system(s).

I'm enjoying the further adventures of McPoyle and Prince Caspian. I also really liked the pairing of Maeve and Hector and I hope they will have some further interaction as we go along.

And I gotta say, they have managed to put together a pretty impressive cast.

I also think I'm just going to shut of any attempts to theorize and just enjoy the ride instead.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, I've dialed back to thinking odds are all of this is taking place in a single timeframe, we're not seeing the past since I think that Hemsworth has discussed both man in black and delores being off her loop, so unless HE is a robot and so doesn't age...then both these things are happening in the now, no?  I'm still not 100% on Bernard not being a robot.....

I agree, MiB definitely knows...but how did he find out....about whatever crazy code Arnold embedded in the system(s).

Arnold may have reached out to MiB as a corporate ally. I'm thinking Ford is capable of anything and I'm not so sure Arnold's "accident" was that much of an accident.

I wonder if Arnold's consciousness/code is hidden within the hosts who are becoming aware? I think he buried something in them and left it to evolve over the decades.

Ford's conversation with Theresa was excellent. He's just trolling us with the "everyone is a host" hints at this point. That and he seems very possessive/protective of Bernard. And he can freeze his hosts without any obvious gesture?

I did notice that the show was being very cagey in that they didn't report who Delores was with due to some technical issue. Seemed deliberately cloudy to me like they were hiding something.

Poor old Teddy. I like how MiB has some sympathy for him. Is the MiB's wish to have a truly deadly version of Westworld? He seemed to be hinting at that or at least bemoaning how risk-free it was. Like others have said - if a human's consciousness could be placed in a host - there'd be immortality. Something I imagine the owner of a foundation that appears to save lives would like. That would be a fun turn of events if all the killing he's doing is to gain immortality. I suspect the board might be more interested in Westworld as R&D for immortality than as a gameworld. Still not sure what Ford's ultimate hope/plan is though.

Logan is growing on me but that might have been largely due to the "upgrade" comment. I'm pleased they are showing he's more a gamer not thinking about consequences in an imaginary world rather than evil. I'd be fascinated to see how he'd respond to realising some of the hosts are "aware".

I went all this episode thinking that the actor who played Logan also played Hector! I was sure I was on to some plot twist where one of the guests also had a replica host!

Just now found out that they're two different guys, lol!

I think they look very much alike, same build, same hair, very similar facial features, so I find it weird that it appears there is no meaning in the similarity, but since Logan is heading for Hector's storyline...that whole theory is a dead end.  

I love the snake tattoo woman.  I hope we see more of her.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I watched the original movie and it was good, but mostly for it's concept and the fact it was so ahead of its time because in reality it's actually really dated and a bit naff now but gods bless it for bringing us this amazing tv show 

You forgot Yul Brynner :(

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I think many of these conversations are non linear. I'm not sure the conversations are happening chronologically with what we see.  

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm starting to think MiB is after some Arnold based tech and that Arnold hid it within the game. Why Ford isn't interested in this yet is up in the air.

I think Ford is very much interested in it. From his speech we know Arnold was the much more misanthropic of the two, he was pessimistic about people, whereas Ford was more hopeful. Ford has clearly come to be more disdainful of people, he sums up Bernard's child loss fairly succinctly, and is chillingly brutal in destroying Theresa's recalled villa. I think he has decided to finish Arnolds work.

Archived