Rick and Morty Season 3

DaveSumm

I gotta say I really disliked this episode I thought this was a good story but not a good Rick and Morty episode. Rick and Morty is a comedy with some tragic moments, but this episode was just a straight up tragedy, and it just didn't jive with how I enjoy the series.

It also doesn't really mesh with the characters as we know them. This is the first time we've seen Rick do anything truly fucked up to Morty before he's just done petty things, this is easily the kind of torment you could devise for your worst enemy so to see Rick do it to Morty kinda wrecks all the little moments we had where Rick shows he cares. I get why people like it though, it's a brilliant fucked up story and if you changed the characters and told me it was some anime short I would like it, but it didn't work for me as a Rick and Morty episode.

It would have worked better if Rick did it to Jerry. 

This season has largely been one fuck you to the other characters all along. The level of vitriol across the family has been pretty ugly. Also, apparently Beth has been relegated to doing fuckall. 

But as far as Rick doing horrible things to Morty - he literally did that earlier this season when he basically wiped out an entire civilization just so that Morty could have his dreams lost. That isn't what Rick would have done previously, but that's what he's doing a lot now. Morty is more and more selfish, Rick is more and more petulant and downright nasty. 

Another one I realized - Rick absolutely just killed a Morty. He knew what he was doing, he knew that it wasn't resetting anything but instead was killing a legitimate alternate reality version of Morty, and he just went and killed him. And he didn't do it to show Morty anything - he did it because he wanted to prove to himself it worked, and if it didn't he would have just, well, killed Morty. 

Yeesh.

Rick doesn’t seem to really care about Mortys that are not “his”. 

He must’ve got hundreds killed when he transported the Citadel into the prison. 

Edit: I did like the fact that even though Rick claimed repeatedly “I don’t do time travel” he still has the box full of time travel stuff on his shelf. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Another one I realized - Rick absolutely just killed a Morty. He knew what he was doing, he knew that it wasn't resetting anything but instead was killing a legitimate alternate reality version of Morty, and he just went and killed him. And he didn't do it to show Morty anything - he did it because he wanted to prove to himself it worked, and if it didn't he would have just, well, killed Morty. 

Yeesh.

Seems on brand, no? 

I liked the last few episodes. I need to go back and watch the first five though, and IIRC, the first two are not that good and the next three were awesome.

Same old story, Ricks killing Mortys to quote a previous episode. 

Maybe it was not C-137 Rick and Morty though. The other Ricks mocked C-137 Rick for caring about his Morty before.

Rick is a mass murderer who kills for non-self defense reasons all the time as he can make himself invincible to most things as we have seen before. Hell Morty enjoys kills a lot too. Now purgenol free.

17 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

Maybe it was not C-137 Rick and Morty though. The other Ricks mocked C-137 Rick for caring about his Morty before.

I was tempted to write the same thing at least twice.

The thing about R&M is that we're not even sure we're alays watching the same characters... Thus allowing the writers to do whatever they want without giving a fuck about consistency, since they can always claim that they have in fact been consistent all along.

What are the opinions about this latest episode? It's certainly less mean-spirited than the one before, but I'd say it is by far the most pedestrian outing we have had in this second half. It's still good, but it doesn't reach the same heights as the earlier ones.

Spoiler

As an episode it was just a little bit too much tailspinning. I feel like they could have made better use of the premise if they had foregrounded Rick's relationship with Beth more. That was by far the best element of this episode, but it never coalesced in anything deeper.

On 5/26/2020 at 12:25 AM, Veltigar said:

What are the opinions about this latest episode? It's certainly less mean-spirited than the one before, but I'd say it is by far the most pedestrian outing we have had in this second half. It's still good, but it doesn't reach the same heights as the earlier ones.

Hide contents

As an episode it was just a little bit too much tailspinning. I feel like they could have made better use of the premise if they had foregrounded Rick's relationship with Beth more. That was by far the best element of this episode, but it never coalesced in anything deeper.

It was my least favourite episode for a while. It felt like a big retread of many of the tropes that Rick and Morty use and reminded me that the show is slowly running out of gas.

Ive never really liked any of the episodes revolving around Rick and Beths relationship, it tried too hard to be significant but never hits the mark. Last season went out with a whimper by concentrating too much on that.

Then the whole premise of this episode was pretty flat. Jerry going on and having his own bit felt like something I’d seen plenty of times before too.

I just came away thinking that there is maybe only a limited amount of juice you can squeeze out of this fruit and there’s nothing really left in there.

23 hours ago, briantw said:

There have been a lot of great lines this season, but I think my favorite has been:

"Why is lesbian part of her job title?"
"Oh, now you're progressive."

"Young, dumb, and orbiting the sun." 

Not a big fan of the season finale. definitely the least funny episode of the second half of season 4. Lot's of spoilers in this one, but let me just say I didn't like the place we were left at the end of the episode.

14 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Rick needs to get back into fighting shape.

Hide contents

He’s got his ass kicked twice in the last two episodes.

Once by a Zeus, and once by Bird Person. 

Spoiler

*phoenix person :P

Archived