Football: Four Amigos

AncalagonTheBlack

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Just not convinced that at the moment our best team involves him being in it rather than Rashford and Martial both, flanking Lingard behind Lukaku.

Rashford has been particularly bad of late as well unfortunately. His game has been reduced to running around a lot and not passing to anyone or trying and failing miserably.  I'd rather have Mata in there because, other than Pogba, he is our only other attacker who consistently looks comfortable in possession and able to link up play and manoeuvre the ball in tight spaces. 

50 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Nah. A Watford.

I think Liverpool might be more apt. We fluffed what, three or four 1v1s and then concede a soft goal so instead of Leicester being on the end of a thrashing, we end up dropping two points. Sounds very Liverpool. 

43 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Or a Burnley.

Why Burnley, of all teams? They literally haven't let a narrow lead slip at the death all season, unless you count that crazy Leeds game in the League Cup, where they had to take the lead late first.

44 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Rashford has been particularly bad of late as well unfortunately. His game has been reduced to running around a lot and not passing to anyone or trying and failing miserably.  I'd rather have Mata in there because, other than Pogba, he is our only other attacker who consistently looks comfortable in possession and able to link up play and manoeuvre the ball in tight spaces. 

This is really why we need Griezmann. We've got one player who can work possession, one guy who can do movement (or two, with Lingard), one who can finish consistently in Martial, but we really could do with all that in one player.

12 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

No, because he didn’t dive. Long stuck out a leg and it caught him. I’m the first to point out his faults, including earlier, when I touched on his reckless challenge. But he definitely didn’t dive today.

The first time or the second time?

First time he was £21m, which is reasonable for younger defender who has won the Portuguese league and played in European competition. 

The second time we paid £32m, which wasn’t too bad for a 28 year old centre back who had won the Champions League and Europa League (during his first spell at Chelsea) and had great success domestically during his two years at PSG.

I think it was PSG that really overpaid for him when they bought him off us for £50m, despite the fact he was surplus to requirements under Jose Mourinho. 

Take that into account and we’ve spent less than £5m on him. Given his success at the club, that’s good business.

Somehow I thought you paid more to bring him back in from Paris.

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

We really shit the bed in this game. Two points dropped due to pathetic finishing. Leicester should have been dead and buried. Also hate that we just dropped deep and chose to cling on against 10 men.

Yes, and no. You could'Ve/should've won that game, but on the other hand, Arsenal and Liverpool drew. Chelsea didn't win either. Only Tottenham managed to win. So nothing really changed with regards to the table. Unless you thought there was some chance to still catch City, that is. And pointwise United is actually playing a pretty good season, just that pretty good is not gonna be enough this year.

12 hours ago, Mexal said:

No. Alli is the best, most perfect representation of English football and the media will do nothing but blow sunshine up his ass while spending all of their energy ripping into Ozil.

Alli is a good player, but he's looking a bit lost-in-showbiz recently. Wild tackles, diving, over-elaborating with the ball, all the hallmarks of someone who believes his own publicity. Pocchetino needs to have a word.

Despite a rash tackle that easily could have been red and question marks over a dive (I didn’t think it was), Alli actually played well yesterday. The best I’ve seen him in a while, probably since the Real Madrid game. 

He might be one of those players that, when he’s fired up, he’s brilliant, but may often breeze through other games. In the CL, he’s looked a lot better than he has in his league performances, and yesterday against Burnley, their fans boo’d him and sang songs about him all game long, which seemed to make him player better.

It’s the diving and the rash challenges that confuse me most. You don’t often see a player that can hit players tackles like he hit KDB and the Gent (or Genk? Not sure) player last season, then go down at the slightest of touches from an opposition player.

You didn’t see Roy Keane hitting someone a hard tackle then going over easily when they hit him one back. Nor did you see Bale crunching a player after going down easily. Alli is a rare case where he tries to be a hard man but is also a known diver.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Yes, and no. You could'Ve/should've won that game, but on the other hand, Arsenal and Liverpool drew. Chelsea didn't win either. Only Tottenham managed to win. So nothing really changed with regards to the table. Unless you thought there was some chance to still catch City, that is. And pointwise United is actually playing a pretty good season, just that pretty good is not gonna be enough this year.

We shit the bed not because I think we can still catch City but because we missed four 1v1s and then dropped into a defensive shell which invited pressure from a side down to 10 men. Others dropping points as well is neither here nor there. The tactics are far more grating than the poor finishing since we've done pretty well in front of goal this season. However the cowardly tactics have resulted in us unnecessarily giving up control and conceding in a fair few games - this has not been too costly for us so far because, aside from the Leicester and Basel games, we managed to take our chances earlier on in the game.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

I think the wild tackles and diving have always been there, as have the kicks and stamps and stuff like that, but, yeah, his form on the ball has certainly taken a (more realistic) dive this season.

You might be right, but the tackle last night - flying in like Superman, two-footed, then getting up and being irritated because the ref booked you - is for me pretty typical of what a young player does when they've got the idea that it's their job to win the match all by themselves. Same with 'going over easily' (as English commentators will describe it) and trying to dribble past the entire defence.

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Why Burnley, of all teams? They literally haven't let a narrow lead slip at the death all season, unless you count that crazy Leeds game in the League Cup, where they had to take the lead late first.

Just thinking back to the last 3 Arsenal games where Arsenal won the game in stoppage time.

Brighton have an £18m bid accepted by Celtic for Moussa Dembele, according to Sky Sports News. Brighton really could do with someone who can start scoring for them. Though, I thought if he were to leave Celtic it would be for a bigger club and a bigger fee. Could end up a huge bargain for Brighton, if it goes through.

Anyways, happy Christmas, all - have a good one!

Archived