Sign in to follow this  
Kandrax

Yoren's death.

The evidence seems circumstantial at best.

But some people may just want another reason to hate Rorge. I am not one of them. I hated that character plenty.

10 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Do you think that Rorge killed Yoren?

Does it matter who dealt Yoren’s death blow? I would think that the pertinent question is why the men/solders’ are looking to retrieve King Bob’s bastard son that was quietly in service to Tobho Mott for so many years.

What was it ole Yoren told Arya early in book two:

A Clash of Kings - Arya I     "Here's something you don't know. It wasn't supposed to happen like it did. I was set to leave, wagons bought and loaded, and a man comes with a boy for me, and a purse of coin, and a message, never mind who it's from. Lord Eddard's to take the black, he says to me, wait, he'll be going with you. Why d'you think I was there? Only something went queer."/

I think narratively it would only matter if Arya suspected it--that she had released Yoren's killer. That could have been accomplished by having Arya recognize the axe. That woulda been another brick in the wall for sure. 

13 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Do you think that Rorge killed Yoren?

Here is a theory

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Yoren/Theories

a big problem is this: given the POV structure, how would we find out?  Yoren is dead, Rorge is dead, Amory Lorch is dead, Biter is dead, and I don't think anybody else is going to be talking about it.  This isn't real life.  If it ain't written, it never happened.

6 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Maybe, but it doesn't matter. Yoren died to advance Arya's story  

This.   With questions like this one, it is useful to ask: What is the author trying to accomplish, and is there any point in a hidden agenda?  In this case, there really isn't.  Yoren's death is simply a means of moving the story forward.  If the identity of his killer was going to matter, it already would have.

Literal stuff is interesting, but I have a couple of thoughts on a figurative interpretation, for what it's worth.

I think everyone who comes out of the dungeon at the Red Keep is the embodiment of some past person from Targaryen history. I include in this Ilyn Payne, Rennifer Longwaters and Rugen.

Tentatively, I believe that Jaqen H'ghar, Rorge and Biter are symbolic representatives of Aegor Rivers, known as Bittersteel. I've just started to piece this together so I admit that evidence is a bit thin. H'ghar and Rorge sound like variations on Aegor. Biter sounds like Bitter. Back in the day, Bittersteel was supposed to be sent to the Wall to take the black, but he escaped. We know that Rorge and Biter will eventually be killed by Brienne and Gendry. Brienne is a representative of Ser Duncan the Tall, who championed Aegon V against Blackfyre enemies. Gendry might represent House Baratheon, represented by the Laughing Storm in the Trial of Seven in The Hedge Knight novella. So it seems possible that GRRM would use a parallel to show descendants of Ser Duncan and Lyonel Baratheon teaming up again to take down reincarnations of Bittersteel.

Now someone just has to defeat Jaqen.

But what would "Bittersteel" (or his symbolic descendants) have against Yoren? I'm not sure at all, so maybe this doesn't provide support for the OP. I see parallels between Yoren and Qhorin - the rhyming names, the Night's Watch, the (apparent) respect for House Stark, the secret smuggling of Stark kids. There is a character in Jon's arc called The Norrey, head of a mountain clan -- I don't know if GRRM is playing around with Yoren and Norrey as a parallel. Maybe we will know more if we see the character appear again. I have a suspicion that (through wordplay) The Norrey is the embodiment of The North, or maybe an echo of Thorren Stark (which might be the same thing as the embodiment of The North). When we see the next Dunk & Egg stories, maybe we will learn whether Bittersteel had a motive to want to "murder" the North.

Edit: I forgot to mention that Yoren is a real advocate for street kids from Flea Bottom. He reminds Arya that the boys in the wagon train don't have fathers and punishes her for beating up Hot Pie. This sympathy for Flea Bottom orphans could be a parallel to one of the characters who protects Dunk - he was also an orphan from Flea Bottom.

As for the axe, I would say that the Craster murder might be worth examining as a parallel. I realize that Craster has his throat slashed and Jeor Mormont is stabbed in the belly - neither man dies from a blow with an axe. But Mormont had just given Craster an axe and it is picked up by his murderers and reappears in the scene where the direwolf kills and eats some of the mutineers.

Another memorable axe is in the scene where Asha reveals to Theon that she is not Esgred, demonstrating that an axe is her husband and a dirk is her suckling babe. Because the throwing of the axe seems to be the "wedding ceremony," I wonder whether there is a symbolic wedding between Jeor and Craster, as well as between Arya and the Rorge / Biter / Jaqen three-headed group.

Edited by Seams

Now the real question is did Yoren get all of his charges killed by not just opening the damn gate. Was Amory enough of an SOB to kill everyone within the walls? Of course he was, because he tried to when Yoren wouldn't let  him in. Now would he have if Yoren had opened the gate? Probably not. Best case he goes in, says f*** it and leaves. Worst case he goes in, takes everyone prisoner until they get to Harrenhal, at which point Yoren talks to Tywin and Tywin lets him proceed to the wall.