HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I didn't understand until now why someone brought up The Sixth Sense. I just read the wikipedia summary. (In my defense Camile does sometimes see dead people.) The only thing that I remembered about that movie was the twist. And that I rented it from Blockbuster. 

The scene with Keene in the hotel was so tense. I wasn't sure what'd be worse Richard seeing her with another man (and suspect) or seeing her scars. Did he see the words carved into her legs? it wasn't clear to me.

I don't think he did, he was so messed up from what he walked in on that I don't think he saw the scars at all.

Actually, gonna back track again and say the cheerleader killed the sister and punished her by pulling her teeth out, since she bit her. Thinking she did it in her own Adora way, to get all the sympathy and attention to her and John. Sort of a mini Adora move.

Can't wait for the finale next week to see Camille blow that house of horrors up.

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Actually, gonna back track again and say the cheerleader killed the sister and punished her by pulling her teeth out, since she bit her. Thinking she did it in her own Adora way, to get all the sympathy and attention to her and John. Sort of a mini Adora move.

Can't wait for the finale next week to see Camille blow that house of horrors up.

Yeah this would make a lot more sense to me. Adora is a monster but not that kinda monster. I was also thinking maybe Nat killed Anne and then someone (Ashley? Amma? Adora?) found out and killed Nat and then did the teeth thing to make it look like a serial killer. And then painted her nails for some reason that I'm sure will become clear either in the finale or on a re-watch. 

On 8/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I knew this episode was going to make me uncomfortable. The John Keene scene was easier to stomach on the series than in the books though, to be honest, but still hard going. 

The book was worse!? Yeesh. Knowing the cops were gonna come in at any moment added to the uncomfortableness too. 

I should’ve known it was Munchausen by proxy, makes total sense. The fucking weirdo dad definitely knows too. I kinda wish I didn’t watch the previews for next week:

Spoiler

As they show the dad gripping the knife like he’s finally gonna confront Adora at the end of the episode, but show them eating some weird, Hannibal-type dinner next episode. I’m sure it’s gonna be tense as hell though so it sucks we have to wait a week.

40 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

The book was worse!? Yeesh. Knowing the cops were gonna come in at any moment added to the uncomfortableness too. 

I should’ve known it was Munchausen by proxy, makes total sense. The fucking weirdo dad definitely knows too. I kinda wish I didn’t watch the previews for next week:

Hide contents

As they show the dad gripping the knife like he’s finally gonna confront Adora at the end of the episode, but show them eating some weird, Hannibal-type dinner next episode. I’m sure it’s gonna be tense as hell though so it sucks we have to wait a week.

FOr some reason the show was able to capture it as a tender, albeit flawed moment. Compassionate and kinda beautiful but in the books all I could think was NO NO NO NO HES 18 HES NO 

I'm still trying to fit these puzzle pieces together... I have to admit, that I'm just not getting it...

Spoiler

I get that Adora is poisoning Amma as she did Miriam... But who killed the two girls?... probably not John... but is there a connection to Adora?... and what was with the shack in the woods?... the woman in white?... I am clueless...lol

23 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

The father character Alan is such a strange one, Can't get a grip on him at all. 

I don't think Richard saw the scars. 

Me either.  IIRC, he didn't have much of a role in the book.  Kind of an object Adora just kept around for appearance. 

FWIW, I've gotta reread the book.  I don't remember that scene with John Keene and Camille AT ALL.  Maybe I blocked it out?? 

And @Martini Sigil:  You're SUPPOSED to be clueless at this point.  That's what makes it so much fun! 

Next week is going to have one helluva payoff. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The painting of the nails strikes me as something Adora would do...

Right? I mean they even alluded to a similar time this happened. At Miriams funeral Camille freaks out because she had make up on, lipstick if I remember, and Camille said she would never wear that, just like the brother said about the nail polish.

I have to admit that this show has been way better than I expected. Actually not entirely sure what I expected because it was all new to me but the fact that the killer is secondary to the rest of the story shows how well this was done. 

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Hide contents

I got the same exact vibe from that scene, Hannibal!

I was so confused about how this show ending was deviating from the book. Then I realized I was recalling the end to a different book by this author, Dark Places. And for the life of me I can’t recall the end to this book, which is awesome as I’m now excited to see WTF is going to happen in the show. 

6 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

Me either.  IIRC, he didn't have much of a role in the book.  Kind of an object Adora just kept around for appearance. 

FWIW, I've gotta reread the book.  I don't remember that scene with John Keene and Camille AT ALL.  Maybe I blocked it out?? 

And @Martini Sigil:  You're SUPPOSED to be clueless at this point.  That's what makes it so much fun! 

Next week is going to have one helluva payoff. 

Yeah in the show they have at least given him a tiny bit more character - in the book he’s just...there. Very strange man. 

I really hated reading the scene in the books made me so uncomfortable 

On 8/21/2018 at 12:50 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

The father character Alan is such a strange one, Can't get a grip on him at all. 

I don't think Richard saw the scars. 

He seems like someone whose love for another has made him a weak non entity. It seems he knew he's been cuckolded by the sheriff and knew about the poisonings yet does nothing. He also clearly isn't getting any. But he doesn't stand up for himself. I think if any of the murders had a sexual element he'd be a suspect

1 minute ago, red snow said:

He seems like someone whose love for another has made him a weak non entity. It seems he knew he's been cuckolded by the sheriff and knew about the poisonings yet does nothing. He also clearly isn't getting any. But he doesn't stand up for himself. I think if any of the murders had a sexual element he'd be a suspect

Kind of disturbing in and of himself to just be a nothing character. All he does is drink and listen to music. 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Shows how many lives Adora has negatively impacted. She's such an insidious, pernicious horrible character. Like a nasty weed. 

Shows how much you can get away with you are loaded and the entire town's economy is dependent on you.

I think it was a nice touch to show this monster was created though as it sounds like she was the victim of abuse from her mother. Unless this is just another lie she created for attention?

Speaking of attention that's something the cheerleader shares with her. An interesting parallel.

Just now, red snow said:

Shows how much you can get away with you are loaded and the entire town's economy is dependent on you.

I think it was a nice touch to show this monster was created though as it sounds like she was the victim of abuse from her mother. Unless this is just another lie she created for attention?

Speaking of attention that's something the cheerleader shares with her. An interesting parallel.

Yeah, money & beauty and playing the victim. She either has people fooled or they just simply can't challenge her. 

I think her mother was cruel and cold to her, so she learnt her parental cues from her - especially as she had a child at 17 to try to get her mother to love and respect her more and her child ends up...not being the perfect little play toy, but..you know..a baby, that cries and is difficult. Because...baby. 

And yeah, in that small town, the need for attention must be strong for a few people. 

Archived