WHEEL OF TIME tv show: Go on,tug my braid!

AncalagonTheBlack

1 minute ago, fionwe1987 said:

All five being ta'veren wouldn't be an issue. But the Dragon Reborn being a woman who can weild saidar makes no sense at all. Since any female channeler has no risk of going mad, she wouldn't be seen as the threat the Dragon Reborn is.

Well yes but in a press release about a series that a lot of the people aren't going to know about you don't go into plot specifics about gender based forms of magic.  That would be literally fucking stupid.  Hence the generic possible 5 heroes! stuff.  It's really basic.

18 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Well yes but in a press release about a series that a lot of the people aren't going to know about you don't go into plot specifics about gender based forms of magic.  That would be literally fucking stupid.  Hence the generic possible 5 heroes! stuff.  It's really basic.

Of course. If this is just in the press release, no one cares. We were discussing the possibility of the show actually saying that. That's a different kettle of fish.

1 hour ago, fionwe1987 said:

I seriously doubt the actual story will have any room for a possible female character being the Dragon Reborn. Instead, I suspect, the idea is to just promote how female-driven the show is, and hide that the main protagonist is male, to differentiate WoT from LotR and other fantasy stories.

I really doubt they'll be silly enough to play with something this fundamental. And they don't need to anyway. Egwene and Nynaeve have plenty to do, and are major protagonists in their own right, without them being maybe Dragon Reborns as a headfake.

As you point out below the DR has to be male, because of the danger he poses. So I don't know they would be vague, and include Nynaeve and Egwene in this vagueness when they pretty much have to establish early one that the DR is a man (I hope they include the Dragonmount prologue).

Also, the book was never really mysterious about this, I don't know why the show has to be. Is allowing the audience to wonder for a time who is the DR better than giving the audience the main clues early on (like Tam's fever talk), and letting them journey with the character as he struggles to understand his place in all of this, and accept his fate?

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

As you point out below the DR has to be male, because of the danger he poses. So I don't know they would be vague, and include Nynaeve and Egwene in this vagueness when they pretty much have to establish early one that the DR is a man (I hope they include the Dragonmount prologue).

Again, I'm not saying the show will be vague and include Nyn and Eg. I'm saying this press release is vague to promote a certain aspect of the show.

Also, the book was never really mysterious about this, I don't know why the show has to be. Is allowing the audience to wonder for a time who is the DR better than giving the audience the main clues early on (like Tam's fever talk), and letting them journey with the character as he struggles to understand his place in all of this, and accept his fate?

The book actually is mysterious. I figured Rand was the Dragon Reborn right away, but plenty of people I know have been shocked when Moiraine reveals it, in the end of the book. 

7 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Again, I'm not saying the show will be vague and include Nyn and Eg. I'm saying this press release is vague to promote a certain aspect of the show.

Yeah, after posting that I thought more on it, and I see where I went wrong. As you say, a press release designed to attract a larger audience, and maybe confuse a percentage of book readers (whatever percentage I represent :P)

8 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

The book actually is mysterious. I figured Rand was the Dragon Reborn right away, but plenty of people I know have been shocked when Moiraine reveals it, in the end of the book. 

Really? With Rand being the main POV, you would think more people would figure out that's where it was headed. Maybe some people missed the part where Rand accidentally channels on the Caemlyn road to defend himself and Mat, and then gets sick because of it.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Yeah, after posting that I thought more on it, and I see where I went wrong. As you say, a press release designed to attract a larger audience, and maybe confuse a percentage of book readers (whatever percentage I represent :P)

Really? With Rand being the main POV, you would think more people would figure out that's where it was headed. Maybe some people missed the part where Rand accidentally channels on the Caemlyn road to defend himself and Mat, and then gets sick because of it.

Yeah a lot of people miss that. For me, his being the main, and first, PoV, his being the only character with a romantic plot, that very soon presents the tension of his girlfriend becoming an Aes Sedai, the fact that he was adopted... it made me think he was the Dragon Reborn right away. So I didn't miss the clues to his channeling, but I know plenty of people who did, somehow.

Yeah I was going off the fact that some other "recently announced/production is just getting started"  shows like Y, Foundation, Watchmen , His Dark Materials, The Witcher, Star Wars live action series, all seem to line up for a 2019 release. But I suppose some or most of those shows are a little bit further along than this one and also that this one may be a very extensive production in all kinds of ways.

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

maybe longer. The props dept will need a long time to create all the dresses described in the book, not to mention ensuring Mat's coats have that special 'slept in' look.

I don't think they will be that hard in terms of dresses and such,  Just borrow some from a Jane Austen adaptation or American Revolution show etc.

17 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Yeah I was going off the fact that some other "recently announced/production is just getting started"  shows like Y, Foundation, Watchmen , His Dark Materials, The Witcher, Star Wars live action series, all seem to line up for a 2019 release. But I suppose some or most of those shows are a little bit further along than this one and also that this one may be a very extensive production in all kinds of ways.

Y started shooting last month, Watchmen started shooting in July (IIRC), with a pilot already in the bag, and His Dark Materials started shooting at the end of June (although they oddly didn't announce that until last month). Star Wars and The Witcher both start shooting next week. So even assuming six-month shoots and extensive post, they'll all be ready for second-half 2019 launches. Star Wars I think people were expecting in 2020, but Disney really want it for their streaming service, so will throw everything they can at it to get it ready in time.

Foundation I don't think will launch in 2019. No showrunner, no writers, only a pilot script I believe at present and no casting or directors. That will be a 2020 launch.

Same with WoT. They're at now the stage The Witcher was around 4 months ago, so unless they've been secretly casting and hiring people in the background simultaneously with scripting, I can't see it being possible to launch before early 2020.

A shame the days of Lost (which went about 7 weeks from being greenlit to being on air) are behind us. The production timelines of TV shows are getting more like movies, which is a problem if you want them to air once a year like clockwork.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Y started shooting last month, Watchmen started shooting in July (IIRC), with a pilot already in the bag, and His Dark Materials started shooting at the end of June (although they oddly didn't announce that until last month). Star Wars and The Witcher both start shooting next week. So even assuming six-month shoots and extensive post, they'll all be ready for second-half 2019 launches. Star Wars I think people were expecting in 2020, but Disney really want it for their streaming service, so will throw everything they can at it to get it ready in time.

Foundation I don't think will launch in 2019. No showrunner, no writers, only a pilot script I believe at present and no casting or directors. That will be a 2020 launch.

Foundation does have showrunners actually, was announced in August.

From Deadline:

The series order completes an year-long journey for the project. Last June,  Deadline revealed that Skydance had made a deal with the Asimov estate and has tapped Goyer and Friedman to crack the code on a sprawling series based on the books that informed Star Wars and many other sci-fi films and TV series.

The package was taken out last spring and, in a competitive situation, it went to Apple, which put it in development for straight-to-series consideration.

Goyer and Friedman serve as executive producers and showrunners. Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross also executive produce, along with Asimov’s daughter, Robyn Asimov.

I'm just hopeful that it will release next year, I obviously don't know if that will be the case. As you say , no casting/directors announced yet. Then again if that happens in the next two months or so it could still release next year. They do have the writers/showrunners, hopefully stuff going on at a good pace behind the screen.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Foundation does have showrunners actually, was announced in August.

From Deadline:

I'm just hopeful that it will release next year, I obviously don't know if that will be the case. As you say , no casting/directors announced yet. Then again if that happens in the next two months or so it could still release next year. They do have the writers/showrunners, hopefully stuff going on at a good pace behind the screen.

I'd be surprised if Goyer was really a showrunner and hadn't just attached his name to the project for prestige purposes, since he still makes much more money from working in movies. However, DC seems to have dropped him for now, so maybe he will be more hands on. That does seem to make Black Company less likely to happen though, as he was the prime mover on that project.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

The production timelines of TV shows are getting more like movies, which is a problem if you want them to air once a year like clockwork.

That does seem likely, if Game of Thrones and Westworld are any harbingers of the future of high-budget, speculative fiction series. It's telling that Game of Thrones had to abandon the "annual new season" for its final season, because of all the time needed for extensive CGI and post-production work.  It won't being any different for Lord of the Rings, the Witcher, Foundation, or any other such series with similar requirements. It might even get worse if they start abandoning a lot of location shooting for CGI-enhanced sets, like what The Terror did in its first season for all the ice scenes (which was two years from greenlight to series premiere). 

I wonder if that will lead to a push for a shorter number of seasons per series. If doing a five-season series now takes you ten or more years, that might make show-runners and actors antsy about committing to a very long full run. 

I'm not so sure things will play out like that.

Amazon and Netflix will be pushing their creators hard to get that regular output that they pay tremendous sums for.

HBO may just be a bit different in this respect.

The fact that Amazon has multiple big budget genre projects tells me they actually expect them to take awhile to get a season done, so they will doubtless be rotating. I expect you're going to have to start expecting 15-18 months between seasons for things with high VFX budgets.

14 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I'm not so sure things will play out like that.

Amazon and Netflix will be pushing their creators hard to get that regular output that they pay tremendous sums for.

HBO may just be a bit different in this respect.

I disagree entirely. Amazon and Netflix don't release to televisions, and are not beholden to television timetables.

They don't have to fit to a 30 or 60 minute time frame.

They don't have to allow time for adverts.

They don't have to release an episode a week for the season run.

They have less need than anyone to stick to television conventions, such as annual seasons.

2 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

They have less need than anyone to stick to television conventions, such as annual seasons.

Hmm, I don’t know. They don’t have to stick to annual seasons because it’s a television convention but they do need regular new content, it’s pretty much what drives their subscription model. I doubt they’re too keen on stretching the timelines much beyond that.

Archived