Stuck in my ways and fine with it!

BigFatCoward

On 8/14/2018 at 3:39 PM, The EnglishBear said:

shoe shopping is a special kind of hell.

This so much. I had a pair of sandals I wore for years everywhere. They were the most comfortable thing. Pity I cannot find anything even remotely similar anywhere, have been looking for a few years.

Hmm.  I actually think shoes are one of the easier clothing items to shop for online.  I'm pretty brand loyal when it comes to shoes so I can just go to zappos or amazon and pick out a new pair in the same size as the old pair.  Dress shoes are a little trickier 'cause I don't necessarily have a go-to brand there, but in general my casual sneakers tend to be Adidas, my athletic shoes Nike, cowboy boots Ariat, and hiking boots Merrell.  When one wears out, I check the tag to remind me of my size in that brand and then pick out a new pair.  

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I only wear 1 pair at a time if that helps. And I wear them to death. 

My total footwear collection. 1 pair for work, 1 pair of smart, 1 pair of gym, 1 pair (unboxed) walking around trainers, 1 pair walking boots. 

Same with jeans. I buy one pair every few years and wear them everyday until they are beyond acceptable. 

I also have a roast chicken sandwich everyday at work. Jesus I'm dull. 

Nah. This all seems correct to me.

Edit: And to expand just a little bit. Two pairs of jeans. One black and one blue. With 3 shirts of black and 2 each of red and green, all long sleeved.

Exciting? No. Does it make getting dressed every day simple? Better believe it does.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Nah. This all seems correct to me.

Edit: And to expand just a little bit. Two pairs of jeans. One black and one blue. With 3 shirts of black and 2 each of red and green, all long sleeved.

Exciting? No. Does it make getting dressed every day simple? Better believe it does.

I have a pretty similar system.  I've got a handful of pocket t's, a handful of button downs, and a handful of polo's in a variety of colors but all solid and I've got 3 pairs of jeans on rotation, one blue, one khaki-ish, and one black.  I don't have to dress up for work so I grab one shirt, one pair of jeans and I'm done.  The S.O. and I leave for work at the same time but she gets up to get ready a solid 45 min before I do.  I'm showered, dressed, and out the door in about 15 min, sometimes less.  

9 hours ago, S John said:

I have a pretty similar system.  I've got a handful of pocket t's, a handful of button downs, and a handful of polo's in a variety of colors but all solid and I've got 3 pairs of jeans on rotation, one blue, one khaki-ish, and one black.  I don't have to dress up for work so I grab one shirt, one pair of jeans and I'm done.  The S.O. and I leave for work at the same time but she gets up to get ready a solid 45 min before I do.  I'm showered, dressed, and out the door in about 15 min, sometimes less.  

Thats how long it took me to get for my wedding. 

This thread made me think about the shoes I own.

Basically, I live in sport shoes and flip-flops and my collection reflects that. I own one pair of shoes, one pair of shoes I wear on dress occasions in summer (can't describe them any better than that, sorry) and a ton of sport shoes - a pair for running, two pairs for every day wear in warmer part of the year, two pairs for every day wear in colder part of the year, a pair of old running shoes, a pair for indoor football, a pair for basketball, a pair for crossfit... On top of that, I have one shoes/boots for when it's really cold and 4-5 pairs of flip-flops for when it's really hot.

Never made a list like that until now... seeing it written down makes me think it might be time to clean out my shoe closet. :leaving:

At present I have 2 pairs of DM (have owned 4) one pair of trainers, one pair of flip flops and one pair of tennis shoes?? I don’t play tennis but they’re little white shoes but not quite trainers. And I will wear them to death and then replace with exactly the same thing 

17 hours ago, S John said:

Hmm.  I actually think shoes are one of the easier clothing items to shop for online.

Nah. I won't buy a pair of shoes until I have tried them on. How am I supposed to know how they fit? Also the sizes are different with any brand, so although my size is generally 36, I might sometimes have to buy a pair bigger or smaller.

Same for clothing, I want to try it on before I buy it.

I am the person who wishes they had the sense to buy five of anything that they really like and use a lot, but am just too mean. I did a few years ago buy two of the same blouse (in the same colour) and was so grateful I did. It was what I like and in colours I could see wouldn't come around again. Shoes would be a good thing to get multiple pairs of but as they are expensive (its hard to get ones I can tolerate and they cost megabucks) I can never bring myself to. Plus with shoes I can never know if they'll be comfortable till I've been wearing them for about a month. I am very suspicious of shoes.

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

At present I have 2 pairs of DM (have owned 4) one pair of trainers, one pair of flip flops and one pair of tennis shoes?? I don’t play tennis but they’re little white shoes but not quite trainers. And I will wear them to death and then replace with exactly the same thing 

Daps, you mean?

I went to a mall today and spent over an hour in just one store. I just let the girl working there take care of me (by the way what’s the correct job description of someone who works in a clothing store? Clerk? Sales assistant? Surely not “clothing store employee”?) and I left with four pair of jeans, four t-shirts, one pair of shoes and one hoodie. That’s great because now I won’t have to go shopping for another year or so. 

As for the “stuck in my ways” thing, I think I’m too easily swayed by new cool stuff and other people’s influences to be like that. If someone told me my shoes were ugly I’d probably go shopping for new ones. 

Shoe shopping is better than shopping for trousers because one does not need a changing booth...

I have never bought 5 of the same (other than socks and maybe underwear but that's usually more 2-3). But I bought several times 2, or maybe even 3 of the same jeans, trousers, shirts in different colors at once to last me for some time.

On 8/14/2018 at 1:32 PM, Which Tyler said:

I only possess 5 pairs of shoes total - including wellies.
Only two years (aged 40) I was forced to throw out my old school rugby shirt as it had gotten too holey even for DIY/Painting. I'm still allowed the Uni one, it just... doesn't fit quite as well as it used to.

I still have a couple of T shirts I bought in 1996, admittedly two I kept but hardly ever wore, one with a Gary Larson cartoon on it and another one celebrating the Seattle Super Sonics' win of the Western Conference (really ugly, I was too cheap to get the official one but wanted some souvenir). I have another one that is about 25 years old but I also wear it very rarely because it is some kind of souvenir from Greece (it has the first few verses of the Odyssey and Penelope at her loom on it). The only "good suit" I own I bought in summer 2004 when my little sister graduated from HS. A year or two ago I got rid of a dressing gown/bathrobe I must have had since I was a teenager, probably almost 30 years.

Leather shoes keep very long if one has a few and treats them well. Same for leather jackets and quality wool sweaters or coats.

2 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I went to a mall today and spent over an hour in just one store. I just let the girl working there take care of me (by the way what’s the correct job description of someone who works in a clothing store? Clerk? Sales assistant? Surely not “clothing store employee”?) and I left with four pair of jeans, four t-shirts, one pair of shoes and one hoodie. That’s great because now I won’t have to go shopping for another year or so. 

As for the “stuck in my ways” thing, I think I’m too easily swayed by new cool stuff and other people’s influences to be like that. If someone told me my shoes were ugly I’d probably go shopping for new ones. 

Depends on the kind of clothing store. The kind you describe where you have someone assisting you and recommending purchases sounds almost like a personal shopper. Or at least a store where she works on commission. Might also be called a Sales advisor. A more generic high street chain (H&M, GAP, Topshop etc.) it’s usually sales assistant, retail operative or something along those lines. Speaking from personal experience anyway.

I wish I could buy things in bulk but my size fluctuates so much I really just can’t justify shelling out a lot of money at one time because give it a month and the clothes will be too big/too small. 

Shoes though, I get set in my ways. 1 dressy shoe, usually in something that works with pretty much any outfit (so no reds or colour really). 1 pair of Casual plimsol/tennis shoe type thing in either black or grey, depends what’s in stock. 1 pair of shoes for work, black, leather, sturdy. 1 pair of walking boots for bad weather and dog walking. 1 pair of business/formal shoe, usually heels, Black. It sounds a bit excessive listed like that :uhoh:

I've always thought of myself as someone who doesn't have loads of shoes but apparently I'm wrong about that. I've got 3 pairs of trainers (newish pair, less new pair and old knackered pair), 3 pairs of work/formal shoes (black/brown/tan), a pair of walking boots, 2 pairs of running shoes, 3 pairs of rugby boots and a pair of astros. :lol:

2 hours ago, Jo498 said:

Shoe shopping is better than shopping for trousers because one does not need a changing booth...

But you need to try them on in a room full of people. I need time to decide whether I like something, I always feel rushed when I'm shoe shopping.

Archived