Sign in to follow this  
SpaceChampion

Better Call Saul -- Season 4 Better Get Emmy

Can anyone explain how the Chicken Bomb works out, I mean, chemically ? And what's the point for Nacho to tear the sofas and break one or two objects if the whole place is gonna burn anyway ?

Whether we'll learn about Gus's background with the Madrigal boss in BCS or in another show, it'll be interesting.

5 minutes ago, Ser Glendon Fireball said:

Can anyone explain how the Chicken Bomb works out, I mean, chemically ?

Ice on a frozen chicken will turn to steam almost instantly, and will throw oil up into the air as it tries to escape.  I believe this action allow can sometimes push oil past its flash point, but I'm not sure. In any case, the idea is that the oil ignites and then the gas from the stove does the rest of the work. 

It is true that a well-maintained deep fat fryer (a we know those at Pollos Hermanos are) has its burner element sufficiently isolated that it can't blow up into a big fire like you see every Thanksgiving when someone tries to deep fry a frozen turkey using a propane fryer.

And what's the point for Nacho to tear the sofas and break one or two objects if the whole place is gonna burn anyway ?

To leave evidence that it was hoodlums wrecking the place and having fun burning it down while they were at it,  rather than a targeted, deliberate arson.

Whether we'll learn about Gus's background with the Madrigal boss in BCS or in another show, it'll be interesting.

I admit, I was really interested in what happened in Santiago!

I thought the sniper fire was going to be from the cousins, which would have made more sense that the cartel had someone watching Jimmy to make sure he gets back.

Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy, but that is nothing new, LOL. 

If Lalo had been running things all along instead of Hector the Salamanca family would probably have survived BB.  

Posted (edited)

Good episode. Scared for Kim. Damn you, Jimmy.

I've been so worried for Nacho's father, and now add Kim to the list for the same reason.

I liked that the Jimmy, Kim, Mike, and Nacho stories have converged. The acting, direction, cinematography, and score as always were beautifully done.

(Vince Gilligan directed this episode.)

One thing stood out as not worth the ick factor and a no-no according to most survival guides, including the Army Field Manual, Jimmy's alternate beverage:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

(Water Procurement, Chapter 6. Also in there is a solar water still diagram.)

As soon as I saw him use the water to clean his shoe, I knew he'd be sorry. This show always gives you things to look out for, and returns to them nicely.

Edited by Le Cygne

26 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Good episode. Scared for Kim. Damn you, Jimmy.

I've been so worried for Nacho's father, and now add Kim to the list for the same reason.

I liked that the Jimmy, Kim, Mike, and Nacho stories have converged. The acting, direction, cinematography, and score as always were beautifully done.

(Vince Gilligan directed this episode.)

One thing stood out as not worth the ick factor and a no-no according to most survival guides, including the Army Field Manual, Jimmy's alternate beverage:

https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-05-70.pdf

(Also in there is a solar water still diagram.)

As soon as I saw him use the water to clean his shoe, I knew he'd be sorry. This show always gives you things to look out for, and returns to them nicely.

I so worry this is heading the same way as Adriana La Cerva.

Imagine if it gets to the point Saul has to choose between his life and Kim's.

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think he'd choose her. I think he pretty much did, by trying to draw the man's fire. Mike told him about the people he loved. And it was after he talked about Kim that Jimmy did this.

12 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I still don't see that.  If Kim was killed because of Jimmy, we would never have seen Saul in BB, because Jimmy would have completely gone off the deep end.  But, Mike's speech may cause him to do something really nasty to get Kim to leave him, that is possible.  It is possible she will eventually have to 'disappear' to stay safe.  I also think if it came down to it, Jimmy would chose Kim to live over himself. 

This episode was the best in the series yet. Reminded me a lot of Pine Barrens. 

I agree with Cas Stark that I don't imagine Jimmy/Saul not going completely off to the deep end if Kim was killed. Most likely she just left him.

I would say if anything Saul will push Kim away and divorce her to "save" her from him. There is no way she dies and we get the Saul we got in BB. 

Now, Kim. What on earth was she thinking going to see him knowing full well who he is and how cartels act. She isn't that dumb. 

57 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I would say if anything Saul will push Kim away and divorce her to "save" her from him. There is no way she dies and we get the Saul we got in BB. 

Now, Kim. What on earth was she thinking going to see him knowing full well who he is and how cartels act. She isn't that dumb. 

Yeah, it was extremely stupid, because spousal privilege may keep Jimmy's secrets safe but it doesn't extend to Lalo Salamanca....I guess they can formally add her to his legal team, but then, presumably her law firm will be like ?WTF? are you defending a cartel boss.....and again, presumably when the 7 million in cash turns up at the court house police will be clear that this guy isn't who they thought he was and they will see that Kim Wexler visited him....so the show kind of created a knot where the only way out for Kim is that she must disappear.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Simple, she thought the man she loves could possibly be dead, or kidnapped, or whatever other horrible possibilities were running through her head. She was desperate. 

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Simple, she thought the man she loves could possibly be dead, or kidnapped, or whatever other horrible possibilities were running through her head. She was desperate. 

Yes, it was obvious that Kim was terrified.

14 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

So who were the guys trying to take the money? Maybe I missed it.

I think just random criminals who were tipped off by someone in the cartel who saw the Salamanca twins take out a shit ton of cash. For a second I thought the guy who made the call was that cartel guy from Breaking Bad who 

Gets taken out by the federales after Hank gets shot due to Gus's machinations.  

But I doubt it, I think he was just some random guy. 

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

I think just random criminals who were tipped off by someone in the cartel who saw the Salamanca twins take out a shit ton of cash. For a second I thought the guy who made the call was that cartel guy from Breaking Bad who 

Hide contents

Gets taken out by the federales after Hank gets shot due to Gus's machinations.  

But I doubt it, I think he was just some random guy. 

Juan Bolsa has no reason to move against the Salamancas.

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

Juan Bolsa has no reason to move against the Salamancas.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. but then they could always give him a reason if they wanted. I don't think it was him though. 

I thought it was not the best plot move to have the cousins drop off the money and not at least stick around to see that Jimmy gets out of the desert.  The cartel may be arrogant, but it seems unlikely that they wouldn't have anyone at all to keep an eye on things until Jimmy brings the $ to the court house. 

12 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I thought it was not the best plot move to have the cousins drop off the money and not at least stick around to see that Jimmy gets out of the desert.  The cartel may be arrogant, but it seems unlikely that they wouldn't have anyone at all to keep an eye on things until Jimmy brings the $ to the court house. 

I'd have thought stealing from the cartel is one of the stupidest things anyone could do.  Lalo and the cousins are the last people I'd want to offend.

Posted (edited)

Hmmm, looking ahead at episode titles:

Episode 9: Bad Choice Road

Jimmy tries to return to business as usual; Kim takes stock of her life.

Episode 10: Something Unforgivable

Jimmy and Kim make a sideways move that takes a serious turn; Nacho gets closer to the cartel.

I note there was an episode called Something Stupid (included a sequence with a cover of the Frank and Nancy Sinatra song by that name) in season 4.

Edited by Le Cygne