Star Trek Discovery #3 [Spoilers] - It's A Wonderful Spock!

SpaceChampion

3 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The first episode was better than anything last year, I liked the bit with the roll call on the bridge in particular and the engineer on the stranded ship.

I'm not sure about the set-up for the story arc yet, but I liked all the other bits of the episode.

I also watched the Short Treks despite Netflix's best efforts to hide them. I liked all of them. In Runaway I liked the interactions between Tilly and the 'runaway', although the ending was a bit rushed. Calypso was excellent, although it does raise a lot of questions about what happened before the story. I think Michael Chabon has written some great novels, and this was well-written as well which is a good omen for the Picard series. The story focusing on Saru gave some good background to the character (and there was a nice nod in the first episode when Saru is discussing siblings with Michael). Escape Artist was a fun comedy episode.

3 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm not sure about the set-up for the story arc yet, but I liked all the other bits of the episode.

I also watched the Short Treks despite Netflix's best efforts to hide them. I liked all of them. In Runaway I liked the interactions between Tilly and the 'runaway', although the ending was a bit rushed. Calypso was excellent, although it does raise a lot of questions about what happened before the story. I think Michael Chabon has written some great novels, and this was well-written as well which is a good omen for the Picard series. The story focusing on Saru gave some good background to the character (and there was a nice nod in the first episode when Saru is discussing siblings with Michael). Escape Artist was a fun comedy episode.

I loved everything about the Short Treks, I would love to see more of them from around Trek in general. Runaway ended right as I was getting into it. Chabon and Sir Patrick having creative input is going to make for a great show.

I was trying to find some YouTube reviews on Discovery and there might be some out there, but I couldn't find them. All I found were filled with hate. The hate was for the 'desecration' of canon material or because SJW agenda - mostly both. My god, why can't people just calm the fuck down? (I know, the internet is a horrible cesspool, brings out the worst in some people and gives them a platform to spew hate, yada yada) Sometimes it's just surprising all over again.

All I will say is, I liked the Enterprise jerseys. Seeing bright red, yellow and blue uniforms cheered me up greatly, and it was the first time the show felt even slightly like a Star Trek show to me. 

13 hours ago, Gertrude said:

I was trying to find some YouTube reviews on Discovery and there might be some out there, but I couldn't find them. All I found were filled with hate. The hate was for the 'desecration' of canon material or because SJW agenda - mostly both. My god, why can't people just calm the fuck down? (I know, the internet is a horrible cesspool, brings out the worst in some people and gives them a platform to spew hate, yada yada) Sometimes it's just surprising all over again.

I don't get the hatred. Trek has always been particularly progressive and diverse for it's time. I'm not sure what version of Trek these people are harking back to.

13 hours ago, Gertrude said:

You'll never find anything positive about Discovery on YouTube.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

All I will say is, I liked the Enterprise jerseys. Seeing bright red, yellow and blue uniforms cheered me up greatly, and it was the first time the show felt even slightly like a Star Trek show to me. 

I don't get the hatred. Trek has always been particularly progressive and diverse for it's time. I'm not sure what version of Trek these people are harking back to.

It was also funny how they had colour coordinated spacesuits too.

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

You'll never find anything positive about Discovery on YouTube.

Or pretty much any other show. I get annoyed at my phone recommending youtube videos because of a genuine interest in a show or film only for it to be some sleazy/angry/smug man talking about shows ruined by political correctness or whining that people are whining about batgirl in "heroes in crisis". Now I'm whining at people whining about people whining - it's a bottomless pit

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Ha, it's not for fashion though.  An easy way to identify a fellow astronaut from the others is definitely needed when a team wears spacesuits, especially for identifying them from a distance.  This is not bad, but colours would be better.

2 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Ha, it's not for fashion though.  An easy way to identify a fellow astronaut from the others is definitely needed when a team wears spacesuits, especially for identifying them from a distance.  This is not bad, but colours would be better.

Also, for the audience to identify which one of them kicks the bucket. :P 

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Or pretty much any other show. I get annoyed at my phone recommending youtube videos because of a genuine interest in a show or film only for it to be some sleazy/angry/smug man talking about shows ruined by political correctness or whining that people are whining about batgirl in "heroes in crisis". Now I'm whining at people whining about people whining - it's a bottomless pit

It kills me, that seeing people of color, the LGBT community and other marginalized groups on science fiction is a big deal. 

Fortunately there are podcasts to bring relief from the Youtube cesspool. "The Greatest Discovery" is a good review/recap one, done by the guys who started "The Greatest Generation" in - I think - 2016. It's on iTunes and Maximum Fun. On TGG they've gotten all through TNG and are almost done season 3 of DS9 now. There's an associated online community that is largely lacking people complaining about SJWs and virtue signalling.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah that actually threw me out a little, as it was quite silly... but I want to embrace the silly with Star Trek, I kind of think Discovery takes itself far too seriously.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

YouTube I think has a bit of a problem with its recommendations. It seems to over value extreme content and assume that if you watch one video on a topic then suddenly you are interested in a whole raft of other topics. Watch one video on Doctor Who or Star Trek and suddenly you will be bombarded with suggestions about how SJWs are taking over the world. 

I'm still not enjoying this show however, despite it having moments that capture my attention. I don't really think that first episode was much better than most of last year. 

If someone asked me what the plot of this episode was.. I'm not sure I could have told you. Something about an asteroid.. blah blah. 

I'm hoping this is one of those shows that just finds its feet 2 seasons in, but right now I don't think its close to doing that.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:52 PM, SpaceChampion said:

There is a definite logic in it. In the episode i imagine it would be as useful just to know who was who (conveniently helps the viewer too) more than their expertise. Shame they didn't have them last season.

I think while the show is flawed (particularly with timeline issues and narrow character focus) i may have to begrudgingly say it's the right show to launch trek on tv again. Tv viewers exoect flashier shows nowadays and there will be people watching this whose sole exposure to trek are the recent films and in that sense it captures the essence well. My hope is that the other spin offs will try and go for substance over style eg the picard show. If the other shows are all going to be like this then i'd rather not have the picard show at all. But if this is the platform they needed for a good next gen spin off - so be it

Nice to see more of the crew get to do more. As ridiculous as the save the planet stuff was, it was good fun. Pike continues to grow on me. This episodes also felt slightly Mass Effect(y) :P, though ME was partially inspired by Trek, I'm sure, so it's all going full circle.

Archived