Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

Gadot was well cast as a goddess who had the look in her eyes of "I've actually faced death in the defense forces, unlike most actresses in this kind of role," and whose face burned a hole through the screen during that german town evening celebration scene with the soft lighting.  Larson is well cast as a human aerospace pioneer pushing societal boundaries and getting stuff done, whose patience runs short when roadblocks appear and who is snappish because screwed with in the head and snarky just because.  Iconoclast.   

This movie crew and script and editing process didn't provide Brie with as much support as Gadot's movie did.   She didn't have as much structure to guide her performance because it didn't have Patty Jenkins' lifelong vision of the character going for it.  Ironically, Larson didn't have enough to "ground" her flygirl character to reality with.   There wasn't the same tightness of character progression from A to B to C.  So the performance is being described by some as 'all over the place.'    I don't see her as miscast.   Another person in her place woulda had the same thing happen to em.

On 3/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, Darth Richard II said:

More I think about it the more I like it. Larson in particular I think was just fantastic. Knocked it out of the park.

I'm going to see it again on Friday with a family member who hasn't seen it yet. One movie geek dude on Youtube said he enjoyed it more on second watch. So I hope I will too.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I remember when they cast Gal Gadot, and I thought to myself that she was all wrong for the role... then I saw the movie, and i was totally wrong because she was great... so rather than make assumptions with Captain Marvel, I just went to see the movie and I loved it... and I loved Brie Larson in the role...  

I, for one, prefer a good actor in these roles rather than "body-type casting"... would it be nice to have both?... sure... but comic books create unrealistic expectations, and even Chris Hemsworth is undersized to play Thor. 

In the case of Captain Marvel there is another Oscar-winning actor who better fits the "body-type" for Captain Marvel who I wish Marvel Studios moved heaven and earth to get. So we could have had both. Arguably she's a better actor too. But I am 100% on board with Brie Larsen in the role now.

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In the case of Captain Marvel there is another Oscar-winning actor who better fits the "body-type" for Captain Marvel who I wish Marvel Studios moved heaven and earth to get. So we could have had both. Arguably she's a better actor too. But I am 100% on board with Brie Larsen in the role now.

Judi Dench?

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah having had a friend and family member who's been anorexic I should have known better.

Edit: To clarify a bit I don't actually have nay problem with Gadot or slim people or, you know, not slim people, I just find some of the talk around the web about how Larson is "fat" or not "model shape" to be very offputting, and it's making me more caustic then usual.

The problem I have with that is an extreeeeemely distorted conception of fat. IDGAS about model shape, since most elite sport's women aren't model shape either. I mean any kind of body shaming talk is disgusting, but body shaming talk that does not even accurately characterise the person's body shape is next-level bullshit.

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Pretty sure he meant Theron. 

Yeah I was just looking at Oscar winning actresses and it struck me both how many could have played Captain Marvel and how many are already in Marvel or DC films. Though I don’t know if Theron would have been able to portray I dunno, quite as much fun energy that Larson did.

Got to double up as well - past hero and current face of a situational villain that may escalate in future stories.

13 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hey I fully support Dench being added to the MCU. Lady is a giant giant nerd plus she kicks ass.

I'm picturing her as like a gender swapped Professor X or Magneto or something now. I don't know the other properties well enough to know of equivalent older characters in them (if there even are any).

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

I'm picturing her as like a gender swapped Professor X or Magneto or something now. I don't know the other properties well enough to know of equivalent older characters in them (if there even are any).

Dench as Prof X, Mirren as Magneto.  

36 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Slightly annoyed they couldn't work the name "Captain Marvel" into the movie. The closest we got was Fury mispronouncing Mar-Vell. Even Guardians managed to awkwardly do it: "Behold, your Guardians of the Galaxy!"

That's true, Did anyone ever even call her Captain?

Archived