Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

22 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But where does Spidey get Marvel from?

I thought the Mar-vel thing was already being used in the film? Or am I just letting the comics overwrite my experience of the film?

46 minutes ago, red snow said:

I thought the Mar-vel thing was already being used in the film? Or am I just letting the comics overwrite my experience of the film?

Carol hasn't taken on that name as an honorific to her mentor as at the end of the CA movie. Though if she introduces herself using that name  when she appears in Endgame it will set up the Freudian slip by someone. Perhaps Rocket might say it sarcastically but it still sticks, I can see Rocket delivering a line about how Captain "Marvel" is rather late to the party, a day late and a dollar short and all that. He could probably even do air quotes to really deliver a verbal gut punch. She can just go back with "Hmm, 'Captain Marvel' I like it". Though if they did do some banter like that it would need to be in a situation where snark isn't going to appear dismissive of the grave situation of the movie.

29 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Does it need to be said at any point? Nobody really calls Cap “Captain America” anymore do they. It’s an out-of-universe problem, not an in-universe one so I’m not fussed if nobody ever mentions it.

I'm trying to think of a TV show/film recently where they don't call the hero by their known name (excluding shazam!). Pretty sure there was one but can't remember. 

I think it's nice to have the names even when they take the piss out of it (Spider-man with Dr Strange, everyone scoffing at Starlord etc). But if she's been in space for 25 years it could be what the skrulls/kree have been calling her and she's absolutely comfortable with it. It's the lazy route but easiest in a film that probably has a lot of other things to do!

30 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Does it need to be said at any point? Nobody really calls Cap “Captain America” anymore do they. It’s an out-of-universe problem, not an in-universe one so I’m not fussed if nobody ever mentions it.

I think it would be good to go through the same kind of evolution as Captain America --> Cap. Though everyone has a super hero name, except Dr Strange, because that's super hero enough, a la Spider Man's line in IW. So it would be kinda weird for her not to have an official in-universe super hero alias, even if no one uses it. And what could it be shortened to? Marve?

Also, sigh! At least one trailer reviewer on Youtube saying Carol's no-line staring contest with Thor is too much uppity feminism for their liking. And it wasn't even a rabid MRA dude saying it! 

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think anyone has ever called Scarlet Witch by her proper comic name either. Though that could be a weird rights thing.

I don't remember anyone calling her brother Quicksilver, either.

Has anyone ever called Natasha 'Black Widow' in the films?

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm trying to think of a TV show/film recently where they don't call the hero by their known name (excluding shazam!). Pretty sure there was one but can't remember.

Do they ever call David Legion in the TV show?

I don't think they ever called Mockingbird by her super hero name on Agents of Shield.

20 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also, sigh! At least one trailer reviewer on Youtube saying Carol's no-line staring contest with Thor is too much uppity feminism for their liking. And it wasn't even a rabid MRA dude saying it! 

You've lucked out. I can't even repeat the horrid things ';ve heard today here. I'd be insta banned and I would let them, and I';d ban myself, and then punch myself in the face. :(

4 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Has anyone ever called Natasha 'Black Widow' in the films?

Closest they came for Scarlet Witch, IIRC is in Avengers 2, when Iron Man is fighting Hulk, he says some thing like "that little witch is messing with your head, Banner!".

I am almost certain Black Widow was called by that name at least once.  I think when the Russian general is interrogating her at the start of Avengers 1 - he calls her something like "the famous Black Widow". 

Hawkeye...I think the closest for him is when Selvig calls him "The Hawk" in Avengers 1.

1 minute ago, HokieStone said:

I am almost certain Black Widow was called by that name at least once.  I think when the Russian general is interrogating her at the start of Avengers 1 - he calls her something like "the famous Black Widow".

That does sound familiar. I don't really see any of her colleagues using that term towards her - I'm definitely sure they wouldn't do it twice.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

That does sound familiar. I don't really see any of her colleagues using that term towards her - I'm definitely sure they wouldn't do it twice.

Here's a list...I missed a few instances...

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/94358/are-agent-barton-and-agent-romanoff-ever-called-hawkeye-and-black-widow-in-t

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think they ever called Mockingbird by her super hero name on Agents of Shield.

You've lucked out. I can't even repeat the horrid things ';ve heard today here. I'd be insta banned and I would let them, and I';d ban myself, and then punch myself in the face. :(

Man you must hang out in some weird places on the internet. 

If it was a dude staring at Thor people would be calling it badass. Hell if anything Thor's line "I like this one" is mildly sexist. Talking about someone in the third person when they are standing in front of you is pretty disrespectful most of the time.

I'd prefer: "I like you" *looks at the others in the room with a smile* "I like her!"

As to the super hero naming conventions: It would be pretty weird for Avengers to use each other's aliases in conversation with one another. It's mostly the rest of the world who either receives, or coins these aliases. Iron Man didn't name himself Iron Man in the MCU, the media did. And maybe it will be the media that bestows the title on Carol.

Stark of course tells Peter to be a friendly neighbourhood Spider Man. Which is a third person use of the term. But still.

Public aliases don't make much sense if you don't mask yourself when on super hero duty; except for giving the public warm fuzzies about being safe and protected by Earth's mightiest heroes.

35 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

If it was a dude staring at Thor people would be calling it badass. Hell if anything Thor's line "I like this one" is mildly sexist. Talking about someone in the third person when they are standing in front of you is pretty disrespectful most of the time.

I'd prefer: "I like you" *looks at the others in the room with a smile* "I like her!"

At least he didn't grab her, smash her to the ground, and yelled I like it, another:P

44 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Stark of course tells Peter to be a friendly neighbourhood Spider Man. Which is a third person use of the term. But still.

If I recall, in the trailer for the next Spider Man movie, Nick Fury says "Nice to meet you...Spider Man..."

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If you think responses to Marvel in that trailer are bad, just wait to see how that part of twitter melts down when Carol goes toe-to-toe with Thanos while the men do the lighter work.

Apparently in the comics one story has Thor and CM both fighting Thanos. They end up losing, but Carol gets knocked out clean pretty quickly and Thor puts up a good fight. But yeah, pretty much everyone other than Thor and CM should mostly be doing the light work because they will only get in the way.

16 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Pfft, wait til the Star Wars trailer drops.

I can't wait for my youtube recommendations to be flooded with "why ep9 is the worst movie ever made and here are 10 trillion reasons girls suck and kennedy is going to be fired" videos

Archived