Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

9 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I've spent the last few minutes with the same problem

Right?  It's the most ridiculous thing ever.  I can't find clips of something that's on television, like, two thirds of Comedy Central's schedule.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right?  It's the most ridiculous thing ever.  I can't find clips of something that's on television, like, two thirds of Comedy Central's schedule.

Haha. For the hell of it I just turned on my TV and switched to Comedy Central to check. 2:11 a.m. and you know what's on? South Park, the Planetarium episode. Cheesy Poofs. 

Edit: I must of course watch the rest of this episode. And the next one, because it's on again.

Hey, I never claimed I wasn't part of the LCD.

12 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Haha. For the hell of it I just turned on my TV and switched to Comedy Central to check. 2:11 a.m. and you know what's on? South Park, the Planetarium episode. Cheesy Poofs. 

I've had South Park on most of the day, in the background.  It's been on literally all day.  I went to the campus library to print out a bunch of articles and take out a couple books for the professor I work for, then got pretty drunk at the campus bar, came back, and what's still on Comedy Central?  South Park.  There are a couple breaks for Daily Show and tonight for Broad City (which you CAN'T say is just ok), but other than that..yep.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm trying to think of a TV show/film recently where they don't call the hero by their known name (excluding shazam!). Pretty sure there was one but can't remember. 

Man of Steel very nearly didn’t say ‘Superman’ anywhere, not even in the title. It was only when that soldier said ‘Superman, sir. That’s what they’re calling him.’ I doubt you’d have noticed if that scene wasn’t in it.

13 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I don't like that Chewbacca didn't eat the Porg. I mean, you already murdered it's ass. Hell, you even cooked it up good and probably seasoned it. May as well eat it now.

I was more disturbed by the Porgs moving in with the creature that murdered one of their relatives, just because it didn't eat the corpse afterwards...

Goose would quite happily eat all the Porgs, and not feel the slightest trace of guilt.

21 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't think they ever called Mockingbird by her super hero name on Agents of Shield.

You've lucked out. I can't even repeat the horrid things ';ve heard today here. I'd be insta banned and I would let them, and I';d ban myself, and then punch myself in the face. :(

Ugh, my Youtube feed finally threw one of these at me: Disney bought massive amounts of tickets. Captain Marvel needs to make $750 million to break even and its second weekend has tanked. Didn't watch it, but I wonder, the title of the video hits all of the troll talking points, so maybe it's a reverse troll?

What the fuck.

Star Wars movies need to take 3x their budget to break even due to the heavier marketing they usually go for. Some of the DC movies needed to gross 3x or even more because their marketing spend was insane and because some of them were caught up in lengthy development hell periods of multiple writers and directors being hired and let go, which stacks up.

The Marvel movies, on the other hand, are now purring like a well-oiled machine. They might need more than the standard 2x pattern but they certainly don't need a 3x pattern. Captain Marvel requiring $750 million would be a 4.2x pattern, which is not something that exists.

Captain Marvel has already smashed past a 3x profit pattern and is now well into profit. Anything from hereon out is gravy.

3 hours ago, felice said:

I was more disturbed by the Porgs moving in with the creature that murdered one of their relatives, just because it didn't eat the corpse afterwards...

We find out in Solo that Chewbacca has allegedly been eating his other cell mates, but decides to team up with Han instead. Maybe threatening to eat someone and then not doing it is the only way he knows how to make friends?

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ugh, my Youtube feed finally threw one of these at me: Disney bought massive amounts of tickets. Captain Marvel needs to make $750 million to break even and its second weekend has tanked.

That's not even consistent in its stupidity, if Disney are buying the tickets themselves then that would imply they would never break even.

19 minutes ago, williamjm said:

We find out in Solo that Chewbacca has allegedly been eating his other cell mates, but decides to team up with Han instead. Maybe threatening to eat someone and then not doing it is the only way he knows how to make friends?

Ah, cook-teasing?

11 hours ago, williamjm said:

That's not even consistent in its stupidity, if Disney are buying the tickets themselves then that would imply they would never break even.

It works if Disney bought $200 million worth of tickets around the world to give that opening weekend a nice shine, and then hopes this somehow convinces enough people to go see it. Which is a ridiculous notion.

I also realised that the 70% tanking the video would be claiming is the 71% Sunday to Monday drop, which of course is completely normal. But it works well as clickbait when removed from context. Oh the desperation. Meanwhile, in the real world Captain Marvel is looking like it will have a reasonable 2nd weekend hold.

On second watch, something about what Talos did and didn't know as we went through the movie irked me. I won't go see it a third time at the cinema, but I'm going to have to watch on Blu-ray some time to see if I can square it away.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I also realised that the 70% tanking the video would be claiming is the 71% Sunday to Monday drop, which of course is completely normal. But it works well as clickbait when removed from context. Oh the desperation. Meanwhile, in the real world Captain Marvel is looking like it will have a reasonable 2nd weekend hold.

Oh be prepared. Context is not the friend of these Trolls. The inevitable 50 percent drop in box office that happens to ALL huge blockbusters the second week is going to be used as evidence that Captain Marvel is a total "flop." I swear, Captain Marvel is going to be the only film in history to make over a billion dollars and be a "failure." They'll be making YouTube videos for the next year.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

On second watch, something about what Talos did and didn't know as we went through the movie irked me. I won't go see it a third time at the cinema, but I'm going to have to watch on Blu-ray some time to see if I can square it away.

Can you remember anything about what was bugging you? 

1 minute ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Oh be prepared. Context is not the friend of these Trolls. The inevitable 50 percent drop in box office that happens to ALL huge blockbusters the second week is going to be used as evidence that Captain Marvel is a total "flop." I swear, Captain Marvel is going to be the only film in history to make over a billion dollars and be a "failure." They'll be making YouTube videos for the next year.

The Last Jedi would like to have a word.

Also, for movies that open north of $150 million a 60% 2nd weekend drop is OK. But based on Thursday's $9 million box office it's pretty likely that the drop will be less than 55%

Just now, karaddin said:

Can you remember anything about what was bugging you? 

How Talos knew he needed to kidnap Captain Marvel, his knowledge of the light speed drive and the fact his people were there. Yet didn't know any detail about Mar Vel or that the lab was in orbit. Knowing about the energy signature of the light speed drive being identical to Captain Marvel's energy signature, carries with it the implication that you know a lot about what's been going on on Earth.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

How Talos knew he needed to kidnap Captain Marvel, his knowledge of the light speed drive and the fact his people were there. Yet didn't know any detail about Mar Vel or that the lab was in orbit. Knowing about the energy signature of the light speed drive being identical to Captain Marvel's energy signature, carries with it the implication that you know a lot about what's been going on on Earth.

This feels familiar to me as well. Best I can come up with now is Mar Vel took his family and he knew what she was doing and was running interference but didn't know the details of where she was on earth. The energy signature of the light speed drive could have come from other captured/interrogated Kree operatives - we know Min Erva was on the original mission with Yon Rogg but not who else might have been so there's room for someone to have been moved elsewhere and then captured by the Skrulls.

Saw it last night and thought it was good, but not great. I loved the 90's nostalgia and thought the supporting cast was great, especially Lashana Lynch, who stole pretty much every scene she was in, and with honorable mentions to Sam Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn (who is even better when he's not munching down on the scenery), and of course Reggie et. al.

Brie Larson I felt was good, but was just underserved by the script. I did not like the amnesia trope, and felt they could have still inserted the twist in a more compelling way. That being said, she was really good with what she had to work with.

On a personal note, this was a really emotional movie for me, starting from the opening Marvel screen roll/homage to Stan Lee. I teared up several times during this movie, which I've only done with Marvel movies twice (GotG I & II, with the opening scene in GotG, and Yondu's father arc in the sequel), and I openly had tears during the confrontation with the Supreme Intelligence. 

Really the only things that kept this movie from being great were my quibbles with Carol's story arc and the action sequences, which I was not impressed by at all. The opening training session was atrocious, all fast cuts, cutaways and extreme close ups. But I have faith it will be handled better going forward.

And I just have to say, shame on all you geeks posting spoilers and no one mentions how Stan Lee's cameo was him practicing his lines for his Mallrats cameo for Kevin Smith. For shame!

There were some geeks complaining that because of mallrats it was stan lee appearing as stan lee and that it therefore "broke" things to have the creator of most of these characters exist as everyone would recognise him in all his other appearances and thor, Spidey etc would know they were comic book characters. Which is pretty sad as i think it made an excellent final cameo having stan as stan (not that he was ever anyone but his stan persona in all his appearances).

I heard some of the creators involved in the recent captain marvel comic sppeared in the film but because i have no idea who they were i missed them.

For all those who felt the action was poor in the film, I'd be amazed if the russo brothers cannot deliver with the character. Their track record with action scenes and getting the most out if characters is very strong. I guess they also get to use her with 30 years experience of bring able to use her powers too.

Archived