Make Mine Captain Marvel! (SPOILERS)

Jeor

29 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

He's got at least one more cameo in forthcoming films, maybe two.

Yeah, he's in Endgame for sure, because they filmed that cameo before his appearance in Captain Marvel.

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

There were some geeks complaining that because of mallrats it was stan lee appearing as stan lee and that it therefore "broke" things to have the creator of most of these characters exist as everyone would recognise him in all his other appearances and thor, Spidey etc would know they were comic book characters. Which is pretty sad as i think it made an excellent final cameo having stan as stan (not that he was ever anyone but his stan persona in all his appearances).

Those geeks are not geeky enough, clearly. The MCU is a parallel universe where some things in that universe are the same and other things are not. And obviously the Stan Lee of the MCU did not write comic books about the MCU characters, unless they were based on a true story type comics. Maybe Stan only writes DC comics in the MCU :D. Ain't no real Super Man or Wonder Woman in the MCU.

Box office estimate for Captain Marvel's 2nd weekend is 54% drop, which is very good for movies that open >$100M. Only an estimate, but those normally don't shift by more than a few %.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

There were some geeks complaining that because of mallrats it was stan lee appearing as stan lee and that it therefore "broke" things to have the creator of most of these characters exist as everyone would recognise him in all his other appearances and thor, Spidey etc would know they were comic book characters. Which is pretty sad as i think it made an excellent final cameo having stan as stan (not that he was ever anyone but his stan persona in all his appearances).

I think if you wanted to be strict about, his cameos haven’t made sense since day 1. Obviously he can’t always have been actually Stan Lee in all the cameos. Or, he’s actually a Watcher and was just undercover in all those roles. So why not a Watcher undercover as Stan Lee?

Saw it for a 2nd time today.  I liked it but didn't love it the first time, and I'm happy to say I think I liked the 2nd viewing better.  For some reason, some of the humor didn't feel as forced this time around.  Only thing I still really don't like is the cat/flerken was the cause of Fury's missing eye.  He was basically doing the same thing he'd done all film with it - the "aren't you a good kitty" thing...and then it clawed him.  Also still disappointed in the cameo of Ronan - I'd really hoped they would flesh out his character more in this movie.  Oh well.

I also noticed that for the first real alien encounter for most of these people...they sure do get over it in a hurry. 

One new complaint - the whole gag about Mar-Vell's base location, and that it was a state vector - "just basic physics", and "You're supposed to be my science guy" jokes....When they actually get to it in orbit...the physics are all wrong....

38 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

I also noticed that for the first real alien encounter for most of these people...they sure do get over it in a hurry. 

True, although they do a good job of that with Fury, both in terms of him being initially shocked and why he pretty much immediately believes Danvers.  Also, I didn't like the cat being responsible for Fury's eye either.

The only real problem with the Flerken taking out Fury's eye is that holding a Flerken up to your face, is like holding a loaded gun to you face with your finger in the trigger. Fury should know better, and a paw to the eye is the least bad outcome from that situation.

And [will probably need a 3rd watch to confirm] I don't think Fury quite did the whole face snuggle thing any time earlier in the movie, In fact I don;t think Fury got his face within paw striking distance at all apart from that scene. It's also consistent with cat behavior, they are capricious little shits, and even if the like you, if you get all up in their grill they will take a swipe at you. So in my professional opinion it was not out of character, assuming flerkens have more or less the same personality traits as cats.

38 minutes ago, DMC said:

True, although they do a good job of that with Fury, both in terms of him being initially shocked and why he pretty much immediately believes Danvers.  Also, I didn't like the cat being responsible for Fury's eye either.

Well, I will say the scene where they sit in the bar and convince each other that they weren't Skrulls was kind of dumb.  I mean, everything Fury said, he could have been making up - she would have no idea if he was telling the truth or not.  And vice-versa.  Fury, having just encountered aliens for the first time in his life, would have no idea if Skrulls could shoot energy blasts out of their hands or not.

28 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The only real problem with the Flerken taking out Fury's eye is that holding a Flerken up to your face, is like holding a loaded gun to you face with your finger in the trigger. Fury should know better, and a paw to the eye is the least bad outcome from that situation.

And [will probably need a 3rd watch to confirm] I don't think Fury quite did the whole face snuggle thing any time earlier in the movie, In fact I don;t think Fury got his face within paw striking distance at all apart from that scene. It's also consistent with cat behavior, they are capricious little shits, and even if the like you, if you get all up in their grill they will take a swipe at you. So in my professional opinion it was not out of character, assuming flerkens have more or less the same personality traits as cats.

Well, it was more of the tone that they set, in that the flerken seemed to be somewhat intelligent and on their side the whole time.  It gobbled up the Tesseract when they needed to hide it, it ate 4 or 5 Kree when they were surrounded, and when a short time later they encountered the Kree with the Skrull families as prisoners, it refused to eat them, and purred and rubbed against one of their legs....thereby letting Fury know that it was Talos in disguise.  So, it just seemed like it was acting intelligently on their behalf up until it scratched his eye out.

It acted perfectly in line with cat behaviour - they'll tolerate you intruding on their boundaries to a certain point. If you cross that point, the consequences are you on and Fury understood this - its why he wasn't even a little pissed at Goose. He knew he done fucked up.

Andy Samberg's Laser Cats sketches were ludicrous at the time, but now they look prophetic. 

It had to be someone Fury "trusted" who took the eye.  The cat doing it is why he trusts no one.  Because losing an eye to an evil skrull would be understandable, so you'd go on with life normally.  Fury didn't grow up to be normal though because losing the eye to a cat is so dumb that you never forgive yourself and you develop trust issues.  Who else could do it?  The skrull aliens are a lot like Jesus apparently so they couldn't do it.   And Carol would've been a weird choice. 

11 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

Well, I will say the scene where they sit in the bar and convince each other that they weren't Skrulls was kind of dumb.  I mean, everything Fury said, he could have been making up - she would have no idea if he was telling the truth or not.  And vice-versa.  Fury, having just encountered aliens for the first time in his life, would have no idea if Skrulls could shoot energy blasts out of their hands or not.

Not to mention Carol casually destroyed someone's property, and didn't get called for it. Not even a "Hey!!!" from the bar owner.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Not to mention Carol casually destroyed someone's property, and didn't get called for it. Not even a "Hey!!!" from the bar owner.

haha...yeah, I thought about that too when I saw it.  And the bartender didn't appear to be a jerk, he politely asked if he could get her anything when she walked in.  Unlike the guy who's motorcycle she stole, who gave her the "Can I get a smile" line....

Of course, that's small potatoes compared to all the damage the Avengers have wreaked...

58 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Andy Samberg's Laser Cats sketches were ludicrous at the time, but now they look prophetic. 

It had to be someone Fury "trusted" who took the eye.  The cat doing it is why he trusts no one.  Because losing an eye to an evil skrull would be understandable, so you'd go on with life normally.  Fury didn't grow up to be normal though because losing the eye to a cat is so dumb that you never forgive yourself and you develop trust issues.  Who else could do it?  The skrull aliens are a lot like Jesus apparently so they couldn't do it.   And Carol would've been a weird choice. 

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I agree blowing up the juke box was kinda jerky, I assume its coming from 6 years of living with soldiers as her only memories and anything that gets destroyed there is replaced by the Kree Starforce rather than screwing over someone else. I also assumed Shield was going to be recompensing the owner given Fury commandeered the bar.

Fury having no idea if she was telling the truth about Skrulls not being able to shoot plasma blasts wasn't a plot hole though, its explicitly acknowledged that he just has to trust her on it and is a point of humour. She also doesn't need to verify the facts he's answer - I think she's looking for signs of making it up, presumably the Skrulls aren't good at fast creative story telling. The one that impersonates her with Yon Rogg fucks this up and was a bit flustered after all.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah Box Office is great. Will hit 1 billion easily.

Maybe it won't make 1 billion quick enough? Trying to help the delusional naysayers out. It's funny how a film they didn't like/watch has to fail for them. I'd be happy with just not  liking a film.

I can see how some of the humour might work better on a second viewing particularly with the skrulls. Until they established they weren't really that evil it felt strange that Talos was making lots of jokes particularly in the rembeau house where we still aren't sure whether the "we're the victims" is a ruse.

35 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The second weekend excuses are in full swing. Captain Marvel only stayed afloat because of the Endgame trailer on Thursday.

On the flipside I guess endgame will do worse at the box office just because captain marvel is present? 

I hope a lot of this turns out to be bot/russian meddling like with last jedi although it's sadly all too easy for such people to genuinely exist.

Archived