Upcoming TV Series of 2019/2020 - Your most anticipated shows

AncalagonTheBlack

Just now, red snow said:

Onboard if it's a netflix film. Not sure it could sustain a series although who knows from trailer

It's a 10 episode series. I'm there for the fight scenes. If Into the Badlands can do it, so can this!

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

It's a 10 episode series. I'm there for the fight scenes. If Into the Badlands can do it, so can this!

I'd rather have a 2 hour intense martial arts movie than a netflix "2 hour movie stretched over 10" but hopefully this bucks the stereotype. "Warrior" easily sustained its run and it'd be nice to have some more action on screen.

http://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2019/07/king-arthur-is-black-and-merlin-viking.html

Netflix's Cursed, featuring the legendary figure of Nimue, has a black King Arthur.  Photos at the link above.

37 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Hope it's more like s1 and 2, and not like s3 and 4.

Well, in some ways, it cannot be, since the times are very different time.  Focus on the fascist rise of the thirties and Mosley, for one thing.  It does sound interesting though.

The interesting part of the piece for me is that it confirms 7 seasons of PB; the 6th season is already being written.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

JMS is working with Brandon Sanderson on an urban fantasy series for USA Networks.  Whatever it is I'll be watching.

Curious. Certainly worth a look. Sensate showed JMS can do "urban SFF". Hopefully USA network more supportive and in control of budgets

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

http://hollywood-spy.blogspot.com/2019/07/king-arthur-is-black-and-merlin-viking.html

Netflix's Cursed, featuring the legendary figure of Nimue, has a black King Arthur.  Photos at the link above.

I'm already tired of the arguments this will cause and distract from whether the show is good or bad. Particularly as it's supposed to be about Nimue and not the skin colour of king arthur.

3 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm already tired of the arguments this will cause and distract from whether the show is good or bad. Particularly as it's supposed to be about Nimue and not the skin colour of king arthur.

I’m almost certain it will be terrible and it will have very little do ahistorical casting decisions.

I can only think of the movie Excalibur as an example of a good Arthurian adaptation.

The Merlin miniseries with Sam Neill and Rutger Hauer (RIP) was pretty decent, as I recall. But yes, Excalibur is to date the only adaptation that really lived up to its potential, IMO.

This is a Frank Miller creation, so... I admit there's a lot of trepidation when one says that, these days. He's not produced anything really exceptional in, I'd say, a couple of decades.

Just now, Ran said:

The Merlin miniseries with Sam Neill and Rutger Hauer (RIP) was pretty decent, as I recall. But yes, Excalibur is to date the only adaptation that really lived up to its potential, IMO.

This is a Frank Miller creation, so... I admit there's a lot of trepidation when one says that, these days. He's not produced anything really exceptional in, I'd say, a couple of decades.

I remember seeing the Sam Neil one and I don’t think it has aged at all well. There are so many Arthurian adaptations and for some reason they all seem to get it wrong. 

They either go super stupid like Guy Ritchie or they try to make it realistic like the Clive Owen movie. 

Excalibur I think got the balance right, though it’s not perfect, of something that feels historical but also deeply weird and mystical. It reminds me of an English Conan movie

7 minutes ago, Ran said:

Yet Excalibur descended into idiotic depths for entire sequences even so, or have we all forgotten? (I haven't.)

I would really like to see Cornwell's Arthurian series get put up on screen, with the same skill as has been done with his Last Kingdom books.

A great deal of the problems, as we'll doubtless see again with Cursed, is centering kids, in what are really adult sensibility material.

Just now, Zorral said:

Yet Excalibur descended into idiotic depths for entire sequences even so, or have we all forgotten? (I haven't.)

You must have watched some other Excalibur. Can't recall anything I'd ever see as idiotic in that film. It captured the worldview embedded in medieval romances better than just about any other film I can think of, and Boorman's artistry is nearly unmatched in genre film. 

Just now, Zorral said:

I would really like to see Cornwell's Arthurian series get put up on screen, with the same skill as has been done with his Last Kingdom books.

Found The Last Kingdom merely okay, myself, and didn't continue past the first season. Cornwell's work doesn't really sing to me, though.

I have the feeling this Cursed series will be in the vein of Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie, with exaggerated action, over-the-top and ultimately weak special effects, and a flimsy tale, mostly 2D characters, but somehow coming together okay, though ultimately better off if not associated with Arthurian mythology, at all. I wonder, will the villains wear red because they're called the Red Paladins, or will they still wear the traditional black leather? :PThere's probably going to be a Green Knight fighting his/her own private war against the Red Paladins.

10 hours ago, Ran said:

Didn't realize it was connected to Frank Miller, expectations plummet along with my assumption it might be from a female character's perspective. I've got mixed up thinking it was an adaptation of a novel but maybe morgane le fey was the focus there?

I noticed prince valiant, the cartoon, is streaming on Amazon now. No idea how it's aged but it was excellent back in the 90s

Archived