RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

Once Upon A Time In The West  holds up. Logan’s Run does not.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Once Upon A Time In The West  holds up. Logan’s Run does not.

I've re-watched several times Once Upon A Time In The West because it is that good.

Still slowly making my way through the final season of Jessica Jones.  I've been liking it more and more as the 13 episodes unroll.  Things I disliked earlier I now see made sense within what was coming.  But still, none of the actors can hold the screen like Krysten Ritter.  So far (beginning the 9th episode) I waver between a B+ and A- for the series (Ritter gets an A+, of course, just for her JJ, and so does the theme music).

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

I've re-watched several times Once Upon A Time In The West because it is that good.

Henry Fonda is terrific in it.

There's a surfeit of stuff to watch at this particular time. Two morose episodes of The Handmaid's Tale done so far, two episodes of Big, Little, Lies (second episode has some potentially interesting turns), decided to watch Killing Eve (liked the first season more than I'm liking the second season), tried Billions (bounced after the second or third episode, even though I'm generally a fan of Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis), watched Warrior (guilty pleasure -- the writing is insultingly on the nose, to be honest, but some charming actors and terrific fight choreography means I just turn my brain off for a bit), still have two episodes of Black Mirror, want to try Euphoria which just premiered on HBO, also want to watch Gentleman Jack. Also saw When They See Us, which I think was really beautifully acted and structured but I thought a couple of moments in the later half of the series were too self-consciously "artistic" from Ava DuVernay and detracted a bit. And Chernobyl, of course, which was amazing.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

tried Billions (bounced after the second or third episode, even though I'm generally a fan of Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis

You bounced too soon. :)  It takes another ep or two for the viewer to suddenly 'get it,' which particularly means recognizing what the character of Wendy Rhoades is and means.  And for the contours of what is going on to solidify.  It's about then one recognizes what crack writing we've got going on here.  Anyone who appreciated the 16th century + style of Deadwood's dialogs and monologues should really appreciate this, though the references are private school humanities education and pop culture, particularly of the 1980's, and video gaming.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Henry Fonda is terrific in it.

Isn't the character of Frank the only villain role he every played?

Also, one old lady once told me I looked like him when he was young. I look nothing like him. 

I really need to start watching Fleabag. Waller Bridge's previous series 'Crashing' put me off when there was a bit about the whole cast doing 'Indian accents', that rubbed me the wrong way on the series & her as a creator, but I've heard so many good things. 

Started a couple new things (new to me anyway) this week.

Bad Blood. I guess this was a tv show that is now on Netflix. Based on real life mafia in Quebec. Only reason I have watched it is that a poker friend recommended it, so far it's not very good. Talk about time jumps, this one puts West World to shame, but it at lease tells you it's changing times. I am 4 episodes in and if it wasn't recommended by someone I would abandon it already.

Big Little Lies S2.  I was skeptical since this was supposed to be a one season thing but so far it has been really good, watched both episodes last night. Meryl Streep is killing it and she reminds me of a family member of mine and that's not a good thing! Also, don't know how I missed it before but the one kid is played by the actor that plays Young Sheldon in the tv series.

Euphoria came on last night after BLL S2 so I went ahead and watched the pilot, had never heard of it before. This could be a pretty good show, definitely not shying away from any tough current topics that teens are going through.

19 minutes ago, Raja said:

I really need to start watching Fleabag. Waller Bridge's previous series 'Crashing' put me off when there was a bit about the whole cast doing 'Indian accents', that rubbed me the wrong way on the series & her as a creator, but I've heard so many good things. 

I bounced off that one about 7 minutes into the first ep of the first season.  Cannot stand hysterical, posh-dirty mouth girls and their o so white girl messes, so it's not for me.  Obvs, many others like it though.  And they don't like Jessica Jones, but I do.  That's why we need variety!

On 6/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, Zorral said:

Turns out the driving force of Big Bad in Jessica Jones, season 3, is

Reveal hidden contents

he's an incel.

Which again, helps explain why JJ's season was so often unpopular among so many hard core comix type fans.

So gay incels are a thing now too?  And I'm not so sure he fits the "in" part of incel, but I don't feel like they adequately explained any of Salinger's mativations.

Finished the season earlier tonight, and enjoyed it as a whole but as with pretty much every Marvel Netflix show it was stretched out way too long.  I think it had 6-8 episodes worth of actual show, but, of course, it was stretched out over 13.  Really enjoyed the character arcs of Malcolm, Erik, and Trish

My favorite bits were the Trish and Erik scenes.  Didn't really care what they did with Jeri,

she never was the most likeable character - the Kith and Peter stuff was bad enough, but they threw away every scintilla of likeability that she did have the moment she took Salinger on as a client.

7 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Hide contents

she never was the most likeable character - the Kith and Peter stuff was bad enough, but they threw away every scintilla of likeability that she did have the moment she took Salinger on as a client.

Gads, yes.

Nothing is really grabbing me at the moment.  We just started Billions after many recommendations but it's only so-so after three episodes.  There's basically two camps of power-hungry, narcissistic, bullying assholes, but only one of those camps is on the right side of the law.  I'm not sure from where the viewing pleasure should stem.  Especially if this is protracted over several seasons.

Over the weekend my wife did a rewatch of Sahara, not the Matthew McConnaughey movie from a Clive Cussler book, this was the 1980's Brooke Shields movie with severely outdated ethnic stereotypes.  Apparently it's a classic.  I countered the following night with a rewatch of the original Trainspotting; still a great movie.

This golden age of TV contains a lot of repetitive, formulaic pablum. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

There's basically two camps of power-hungry, narcissistic, bullying assholes, but only one of those camps is on the right side of the law.  I'm not sure from where the viewing pleasure should stem.  Especially if this is protracted over several seasons.

There are no right side of the law people here, with perhaps, slightly, one or two individuals, and that doesn't matter.

But these people are highly entertaining (for those of us who find them so, and who like that kind of writing), unlike HBO's Succession.  Now these figures are all vile, and not a single one is interesting to look at or listen to.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

There are no right side of the law people here, with perhaps, slightly, one or two individuals, and that doesn't matter.

But these people are highly entertaining (for those of us who find them so, and who like that kind of writing), unlike HBO's Succession.  Now these figures are all vile, and not a single one is interesting to look at or listen to.

I thought the District Attorney & SEC would be, by definition, on the right side of the law, but perhaps I judged too soon. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I thought the District Attorney & SEC would be, by definition, on the right side of the law, but perhaps I judged too soon. 

This is another got -- one always judges too soon, and the alliances, etc. always change.  Betrayal and lies and switcheroos are the game.

Not watching a whole bunch, TBH, but I have made time to re-watch ST:DS9, which continues to fascinate me FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME.  

Will definitely watch "Big Little Lies" soon.  Am completely mesmerized by "Chernobyl," but can only watch it for limited stretches.  Otherwise, I become way too depressed by what those poor folks suffered.  

Oh, I also enjoyed "What we do in the Shadows."  It's outrageously silly fun.  Slapstick vampires.  

So I watched the Game of Thrones documentary 'The Last Watch' - it's quite excellent. And more moving than the show! I certainly didn't expect that. 

20 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Nothing is really grabbing me at the moment.  We just started Billions after many recommendations but it's only so-so after three episodes.  There's basically two camps of power-hungry, narcissistic, bullying assholes, but only one of those camps is on the right side of the law.  I'm not sure from where the viewing pleasure should stem.  Especially if this is protracted over several seasons.

They're all horrible people in different ways but I tend to find them really entertaining. Also, Billions is does a very good job of eating through plot so it never feels slow. Good show to binge as it's just entertaining. Best character in the show is Maggie Siff (and a character introduced in later seasons). If you're not really enjoying it early on, not sure it's for you since the acting (no one eats up scenery in a monologue like Paul Giamatti), writing, pace and style of the show stays mostly the same even though plot is chewed through, alliances shift and multiple traps are set by all sides.

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

Succession got really good about 4-5 episodes in. Horrible people sure, but people none the less and Succession leaned into that in a way it didn't earlier in the season.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mexal said:

They're all horrible people in different ways but I tend to find them really entertaining. Also, Billions is does a very good job of eating through plot so it never feels slow. Good show to binge as it's just entertaining. Best character in the show is Maggie Siff (and a character introduced in later seasons). If you're not really enjoying it early on, not sure it's for you since the acting (no one eats up scenery in a monologue like Paul Giamatti), writing, pace and style of the show stays mostly the same even though plot is chewed through, alliances shift and multiple traps are set by all sides.

Succession got really good about 4-5 episodes in. Horrible people sure, but people none the less and Succession leaned into that in a way it didn't earlier in the season.

Maggie Siff's character is the best.

I did watch the entire first Succession season, actually. And their clothes are just the most ugly unattractive possible -- and these people spend millions on them!  Clothes showing the man or woman, as it were!  Who knew Matthew Macfadyen could look such a slime ball?  :D

Edited by Zorral

Saw Bad Times at El Royale on the airplane the other day. It's like it was made for that kind of experience, I really enjoyed the film eventhough it was definitely uneven and slightly disjointed. Great performances all around, was a particular fan of 

Spoiler

Chris Hemsworth, Dakota Johnson and the guy from Catch-22. The other actors were great as well (although we got to little of John Hamm), but those three stood out. 

For the rest it is sort of a silly movie. I do like it however :D