Watch, Watched, Watching: Getting Sneaky

RedEyedGhost

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My best guess is that people who’ve been into ASOIAF since the beginning probably have been more socially engaged on average.

Why? On what evidence?

56 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Why? On what evidence?

Anecdotally speaking, from my personal experiences, practically everyone I know who has read the books is also college educated, which makes it more likely that they are socially conscious and thus more likely to engage in activities to further social progress.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

Beats me why people watch it if they hate it so much. 

I don't understand comments like this.  You think people that have been watching a show for 8 years, should stop watching it when there's only a handful of episodes left?

10 hours ago, red snow said:

It's clearly an alternate version of how the books will end so just wait/hope for the books/

You sure about that?

40 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I don't understand comments like this.  You think people that have been watching a show for 8 years, should stop watching it when there's only a handful of episodes left?

Some of these people have been giving every episode 1 out of 10 for 8 years. They are fucking mental If they are still watching. 

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

You sure about that?

That would have to be an emphatic "yes". 

No one is making anyone watch it. If they hate it that much or even if it's just this season they hate, then life is really too short than to waste 80 mins a week watching something that makes you angry. I suspect it's because they enjoy hating it which in an odd sense means the creators are still providing entertainment for them. 

If the show ran another 3 seasons would people still "have" to watch it? How far into a show does it become some physical addiction where the viewer can't stop watching it? 

By all means people can choose to watch the last few episodes but at no point is anyone forcing them to do so.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Why? On what evidence?

I think the politics thread on this board and much of the other threads in General Chatter attest to it.

Also, it's possible to divide your passion's focus between entertainment and "real world" issues. Though you should care more for the latter than the former. I can get very passionate talking about pop culture but I never lose focus on what's the most important. I think it's the same for many people. I don't think you can make a judgement on people who rant, rave, or whatever on MCU movies, Star Wars, ASOIAF, etc, if that's the topic at hand, maybe they are just as loud or louder when politics, environment, health, etc. are the topic. Passionate people tend to be passionate about everything.

3 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Also, it's possible to divide your passion's focus between entertainment and "real world" issues.

Ha! The HBO / Book Forums say just the opposite.  For these people this is their life.  They spend all day and all night chewing over all the same stuff and have for years. And they are the same people, season after season.  Unt8il just recently, when the media has started to crack on its own drooling :drool: lemming devotion.  :rolleyes:

There Will Be Blood has been on Showtime lately and I always get sucked in. I wonder what Daniel says to Eli after the baptism? Probably just something along the lines of “You’ll pay for that”. 

I took my niece to see Endgame. I liked it more the second time, and it was her third time already:

Spoiler

She texted me and asked if she should bring tissues for me for when Thanos gets dusted. She’s ten :wacko:

Fingers crossed this doesn’t turn into a lengthy and pointless debate about hate watching, and whatever else.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Spoiler

Wait, the woman who looked on lovingly as her husband poured molten gold on her brother's head before walking into an inferno carrying three petrified dragon eggs' madness came out of nowhere?

Worst show evaaaaaaah! :P

I hate D&D. They are legit devils! 

3 hours ago, red snow said:

No one is making anyone watch it. If they hate it that much or even if it's just this season they hate, then life is really too short than to waste 80 mins a week watching something that makes you angry. I suspect it's because they enjoy hating it which in an odd sense means the creators are still providing entertainment for them. 

If the show ran another 3 seasons would people still "have" to watch it? How far into a show does it become some physical addiction where the viewer can't stop watching it? 

By all means people can choose to watch the last few episodes but at no point is anyone forcing them to do so.

Hehehe he.. your sentence reminded me of a scene with Paul Giammatti in Private Parts where Paul receives news to his chagrin that Howard Stern's ratings are even higher among his haters when compared to his supporters.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Ha! The HBO / Book Forums say just the opposite.  For these people this is their life.  They spend all day and all night chewing over all the same stuff and have for years. And they are the same people, season after season.  Unt8il just recently, when the media has started to crack on its own drooling :drool: lemming devotion.  :rolleyes:

Exceptions that prove the rule? :dunno: 

There's stages to fandom.

fan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fanatic

passionate>>>>>>>>>>>>obsessed

Being a fan of something is a good thing, when it gets to fanatic stage it's time to talk about an intervention.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

In my personal experience, I've been very disappointed by this season, but I'm also a huge fan of the books and thus want to watch to see how it all ends and use that to spend the next however many years until Martin either finishes this shit or dies theorizing about what the show changed or didn't change.  Plus, the show is still pretty fun to watch even when the writing is dog shit.  There's not a lot of logic to anything any more, but the production values are absolutely insane and it's generally gorgeous.  It's like an old school Michael Bay movie at this point.  Entertaining but devoid of substance. 

I'm sure it's more the need of closure.

I think having a known end date probably makes it harder to quit, as you know when you'll be able to get that closure.  If it was opened ended, and a show had dropped this much in quality, I'm sure the rating would drop precipitously.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

In my personal experience, I've been very disappointed by this season, but I'm also a huge fan of the books and thus want to watch to see how it all ends and use that to spend the next however many years until Martin either finishes this shit or dies theorizing about what the show changed or didn't change.  Plus, the show is still pretty fun to watch even when the writing is dog shit.  There's not a lot of logic to anything any more, but the production values are absolutely insane and it's generally gorgeous.  It's like an old school Michael Bay movie at this point.  Entertaining but devoid of substance. 

This is where I am too.  I really enjoyed the spectacle of last night's episode - probably my favorite of the season, but it could have been a great episode if this was episode 9 of 10 instead of 5 of 6.

2 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

This is where I am too.  I really enjoyed the spectacle of last night's episode - probably my favorite of the season, but it could have been a great episode if this was episode 9 of 10 instead of 5 of 6.

Agreed.  I similarly enjoyed the spectacle and dread of episode three while simultaneously being disappointed by the direction the plot went and the complete lack of logic to any of the tactics. 

The first episode of Chernobyl was really good. Terrifying, especially given how innocent people were completely oblivious of the danger they were in. The locals playing in the fallung ash was particularly chilling. So far it's very much disaster film but I'm curious to see how the rest plays out. Also very refreshing for the dhow to start with the core exploding. I was expecting there to be at least an episode of character set-up before getting into the event itself.

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm sure it's more the need of closure.

I think having a known end date probably makes it harder to quit, as you know when you'll be able to get that closure.  If it was opened ended, and a show had dropped this much in quality, I'm sure the rating would drop precipitously.

We're on the same page in terms of enjoyment of the show and i think the show would have benefited massively with more episodes. Strange how such a popular show has been condensed into less episodes. It feels like there's at least 2 seasons squeezed into 5 episodes so far. Sometimes this works eg Babylon 5 season 4 (but they still had 22 epidodes to cover 44 episodes of story). Oddly this is a little like "rome" (which has often been cited as the template for the show) in which they breezed through at least a decade's worth of history in a way that would be very annoying for someone with knowledge of the period.

Usually everyone is happy to keep a show going. I guess star wars and a very large cast eager to capitalise on the show's success made it hard to run any longer.

The show forums are a terrifying dystopia .. almost as rabid as the politics forum! 

I get their displeasure though, the show has been pretty dire at times recently. 

I felt like this season has found its feet a bit though, season 7 was the real issue in that they seemed to have no idea how to get to the end and wrap it up without just moving at breakneck speed.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Maybe you should refrain from casting such wide aspersions on what people do with their lives outside of the forums. Spending time on here posting about loving/hating the show says nothing about their political activities or engagement with real world issues. People can have a fierce passion for a particular pass time and still do other stuff.

I equate the show forums to the old Monday morning water cooler discussions. Some people may still watch the series just so they can participate in the discussion afterward.

I need closure. I'm no longer confident GRRM will finish the books, so I'm settling for fan fiction.

Archived