NBA Finals 2019: Can the Raptors Claw Out a Win?

Maithanet

5 hours ago, briantw said:

I mean, as I said, he took less money than he could have gotten elsewhere for a free ring.  I'm just happy he didn't get it.  Don't hate him.  Simply happy he wasn't rewarded for joining the best team ever to rehab and get an easy championship.

This stuff had really morphed from ‘all they care about is money, not winning’ of the pre-‘super team’ era.  My basic take away is that fans just don’t like it when players get to make important decisions. Super-teams constructed by management are never regarded as moral issues.

9 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

This stuff had really morphed from ‘all they care about is money, not winning’ of the pre-‘super team’ era.  My basic take away is that fans just don’t like it when players get to make important decisions. Super-teams constructed by management are never regarded as moral issues.

I think both sides have always existed. Its just about whether you are on the side of that particular player/team or you aren't. Its about winning if your team does it but its destroying competitive integrity when the other team does it. I recall that there was criticism of the 2008 Celtics for what its worth.

The reason why Cousins gets so much attention is because the Warriors were already stacked and that he was expected to sign a max contract somewhere but ended up taking a "massive discount" with the MLE. He was playing well prior to the injury so it wasn't as if he was like most other veterans who were past their prime taking the minimum instead of the MLE. 

On the other hand, you only have to look at what the Spurs had to give for DeRozan/got for Kawhi to see how scared teams are of committing to injured players. Or, with the benefit of hindsight, you look at Cousins' actual production and wonder if you couldn't have done better with Lopez or something for that money. The latter is terrible logic though.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The real question is: will Trump invite a foreign team to the White House, and if so will he serve cold poutine with american cheese?

After thinking about this overnight, I think Trump is more likely to reinstate the steel and aluminum tariffs against Canada for the win. Maybe he’ll ask the FBI to investigate the players who joined a foreign team. 

Or more likely, he’ll slap a 5% tariff on cars built in Canada, going up 5% every month until Canada gives back that NBA championship we so unfairly stole from the USA. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Warriors confirm Klay has a torn ACL.

Fuck.  This series may have wrecked Golden State for good.

Oh no!  Man, maybe I'm just an optimist at heart when it comes to sports, but when Durant and Klay both went down, my immediate reaction was "not too serious, out a few weeks".  That SUUUUCKS. 

8 hours ago, Jaime L said:

If he can turn a team originally built around Rudy Gay into a champion and build 50 win teams in Denver without a superstar, he can maybe work a miracle in DC too. I'm all for backing up the Brinks truck for him.  

8 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

They raised the difficulty level by quite a bit with the super max to Wall though. 

I think the NBA needs to include a super max exception to the salary cap. Its great that you keep your star players but what is the point if it comes at the cost of sacrificing the rest of your team? 

Any project aimed at turning the Wizards around will take many years.  The Wall contract is bad, but it's not like it's a 10 year problem.  In the short term, a good GM could turn Beal into youth/picks, tank for a good pick this year (won't be hard with no Beal or Wall), and then start gradually rebuilding around their youth with some veteran leadership from the assuredly diminished Wall. 

If Ujuri wants to be an even richer man, I'd be happy to see him come aboard. 

Man, I’m going to have a hard time ever respecting this championship. Yes it was a one point game and Curry had a clean look, and yes the Warriors’ missed free throws from the charity stripe will haunt them, but the injuries are too much to overlook. I think the Warriors win games 3 and 6 with a healthy Klay. With a healthy KD, I think it’s a gentleman’s sweep. And with a fully healthy team, which Toronto had, the Warriors straight up sweep them and it wouldn’t look close. But I guess this is just how dynasties die. Sucks for the Warriors that they lose another All-Star for all of next season.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sucks for the Warriors that they lose another All-Star for all of next season.

He won't be out for a full season, likely return after the All Star game. And yes the injuries sure do suck, but not respecting this championship is like saying you don't acknowledge the Warriors winning in 2015 against the Cavs, or 2017 against the Spurs. Injuries are a part of the game. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Man, I’m going to have a hard time ever respecting this championship. Yes it was a one point game and Curry had a clean look, and yes the Warriors’ missed free throws from the charity stripe will haunt them, but the injuries are too much to overlook. I think the Warriors win games 3 and 6 with a healthy Klay. With a healthy KD, I think it’s a gentleman’s sweep. And with a fully healthy team, which Toronto had, the Warriors straight up sweep them and it wouldn’t look close. But I guess this is just how dynasties die. Sucks for the Warriors that they lose another All-Star for all of next season.

Meh.  The Warriors benefited from injuries constantly during their entire run.  They likely don't win in 2015 if Kyrie and Love aren't both out, and there were plenty of other series where they were healthy and the other team was missing a star.  Injuries are a part of the game and the Warriors' luck finally ran out.

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

He won't be out for a full season, likely return after the All Star game. And yes the injuries sure do suck, but not respecting this championship is like saying you don't acknowledge the Warriors winning in 2015 against the Cavs, or 2017 against the Spurs. Injuries are a part of the game. 

No. Adrian Peterson ruined ACL tears for everyone. You really need two years to get back to 100%. Him coming back after six months and winning MVP distorted that.

And regarding your two examples, people bring them all the time. The Warriors got extremely lucky during their first run, and while that Spurs team was up 20 when Kawhi got hurt, I still think most people believe that the Warriors would have handled them in five or six.

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

Meh.  The Warriors benefited from injuries constantly during their entire run.  They likely don't win in 2015 if Kyrie and Love aren't both out.  Injuries are a part of the game and the Warriors' luck finally ran out.

Maybe? 

Injuries are a part of the game, but when there are that many while the other team is at full strength, and they can still only beat you by a basket? Warriors win that game by 20 with KD and Klay on the court.

One thing of interest though. The league is going to be completely up ended this offseason. We celebrated the East this year because it was finally competitive. That could be over. The top four teams could all be dismantled. Kawhi is likely going to leave. So is Kyrie. So is Butler. And while the Bucks won’t lose Giannis, they’ll likely be losing a lot of people around him. And Victor isn’t going to be able to help the Pacers until the middle of the season. The conference is wide open. Then we get to the West. The Warriors are broken. The Rockets want to start over. God knows what the Lakers and the Clippers will look like.

I’m gonna come out early and say that before we see everything reshape, the best team at this exact moment in time is the Nuggets followed by the Blazers. Funny, I liked both those teams in high school. Care to venture why?

:pimp:

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe? 

Injuries are a part of the game, but when there are that many while the other team is at full strength, and they can still only beat you by a basket? Warriors win that game by 20 with KD and Klay on the court.

The Warriors were going to cruise to an easy title win over anyone with Durant healthy, which is why no one really respected his title wins the way he hoped they would.  He was basically a cheat code on that team.

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Maybe? 

With KD maybe. But they've already beaten Klay twice. 

Archived