Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

Yes, for sure, Emery's system is a major problem that exposes the teams defensive flaws rather than mitigating it. I'm not sure why Torreira isn't always a starter - him and Ceballos should be making up two out of the three midfielders as they are the players who could give some semblance of control in the midfield. Their front three need to help out more defensively as well - all the top sides require more of a defensive effort from the forwards. Their fullback situation should see an improvement though once Bellerin and Tierney become available.

Emery also needs to relax his insistence on short passing out from the back - it's okay to mix it up a bit and go long from time to time. This insistence on short passes has caused Arsenal all sorts of problems ever since Emery took over and it has become so predictable what Arsenal are going to try to do at the back that even teams who don't normally press high up the pitch (like Burnley and Newcastle) changed their usual approach and ended up causing Arsenal all sorts of problems. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:37 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

What a game by Chelsea today. They needed this badly. Tammy continues to score, Mount added one on, and Tomori with an insane goal. Frank Lampard plus transfer ban has really been a blessing in disguise so far this season. Mourinho, Conte, Sarri aren't playing any of these Chelsea academy players, but Lampard, obv being English and younger, gets these young guys and has no choice but to give them a chance and they're playing superbly well right now. The formation today incorporating the wing backs was interesting as we've also run a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 so far this season. Preferably Emerson is at left wing back but with him injured during the break, Alonso slid in well to his old spot of glory. Tomori shows a lot of composure on the back line as a young guy, and nice to see Rudiger back even though he picked up a minor injury. When Kante back, I'm guessing he takes Kovacic off the field, and CHO in for Willian, this may be the most promising formation we can put on the field. Lot of talk about Reece James but I'm not ready to but Azpi on the bench just yet. Chill out. 

Big week ahead with Valencia on Tuesday for CL and Liverpool next Sunday.

Come on Chelsea.

Yeah, that was a really good result away to Wolves. The transfer ban has obviously helped the young players get a chance to play in the first team, but it's not like these young players are the only players we have available. Tammy is keeping Giroud and Batshuayi out of the starting XI. Mount has kept Barkley, Pedro and Willian all out of the starting XI at different games this season. And Timori kept Christensen out vs Sheff United and kept Zouma out yesterday. These players are being played on merit. In fact, the likes of Mount and Abraham have been two of our best players this season.

Despite only having won twice, I think we have played well at some point in every game, which is something we are able to build upon. I didn't see the first half of the Sheff United game and we were pretty poor in the second half of it, but in general, we have had good spells in each game so far. Frank's flexibility tactically is something that has impressed me. We have had a few seasons of being very one dimensional. Now, we can field different line ups and different formations and seem equally capable of playing each new style.

On 9/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, their whole orientation is unbalanced.  It’s not just that they play with three forwards who don’t defend, it’s that they don’t have a midfield shield or a possession metronome, their FBs get forward (and both are back-up FBs now) and their CBs play a high line without a ton of pace, plus they play out from the back without reliable interplay patterns.  Their whole system is prone to give up chances.  OTOH, it tempts their opponents to attack and be vulnerable themselves to counterattacks.  This is rope-a-dope football, but probably unintentionally. 

Why is Torreira on the bench behind Xhaka and Guendouzi?  Was he late back from internationals?

Aren't they also down 2-3 starting defenders in Bellerin, Holding and Tierney? The schedule is easy for a month and then they'll have some depth back with those three available hopefully. 

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

Aren't they also down 2-3 starting defenders in Bellerin, Holding and Tierney? The schedule is easy for a month and then they'll have some depth back with those three available hopefully. 

Yes.  I mentioned that the current FBs are only their back-ups, although Tierney and Bellerin will still be more attacking than defensive so it won’t change the overall lack of balance.

On 9/16/2019 at 4:39 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

Yes, their whole orientation is unbalanced.  It’s not just that they play with three forwards who don’t defend, it’s that they don’t have a midfield shield or a possession metronome, their FBs get forward (and both are back-up FBs now) and their CBs play a high line without a ton of pace, plus they play out from the back without reliable interplay patterns.  Their whole system is prone to give up chances.  OTOH, it tempts their opponents to attack and be vulnerable themselves to counterattacks.  This is rope-a-dope football, but probably unintentionally. 

Why is Torreira on the bench behind Xhaka and Guendouzi?  Was he late back from internationals?

Emery wanted Nzonzi instead of Torreira. Torreira is not tall enough for Emery which is why he play Xhaka instead. 

Emery is a terrible coach the only reason Arsenal score any goals is because Auba is so good.

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

Emery is a terrible coach the only reason Arsenal score any goals is because Auba is so good.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say Emery's a terrible coach - he does have a decent track record, having won a hat-trick of Europa Leagues with Sevilla and having some success (admittedly fairly expected) at PSG. I'm not prepared to give up on him yet as an Arsenal manager, although if he can't straighten out the defence for another season that will be a big warning sign.

Bellerin and Tierney are pretty attacking but in terms of overall quality they'd lose nothing defensively to Kolasinac and Maitland-Niles, I still think the defence might get better with our first-choices in the side.

Yeah you don't do what he did with Sevilla if you're a terrible coach, but clearly what worked in Spain and Europe then isn't working in the Prem now. It's almost like as if Arsenal hired Wenger after the all-conquering Invincibles part of his career and once he'd already got set in his ways and a bit overtaken by later developments in the metagame.

He was great in Europa league for Sevilla. That can’t be denied but I don’t think he ever got top four with them. And as for his PSG stint that was a failure Imo. Lost the league once (only manager since the oil money to manage that) and didn’t have any CL success (+managed to lose a tie after going up 4-0 in the first leg). 

I think Emery's tactics still work well in the EL - he's gotten to a semi final and final with Arsenal. His record in the EL (and the CL qualification which comes with it) might have even been a big reason Arsenal hired him. He is getting shown up a bit in league play though - at Sevilla this was covered up by the EL successes and the fact that Sevilla are generally a 5th-7th place side is Spain with only the occasional top 4 finish. His stint at PSG was nothing to write home about. 

In saying that, it isn't all doom and gloom. Arsenal have made no worse of a start than a host of other clubs looking to grab 3rd and 4th place. United and Chelsea have their own set of problems and, to a lesser extent, Spurs as well. I could see Leicester breaking into the top 6 but not top 4. I'd say that Spurs and Arsenal are still favourites to get that 3rd and 4th positions. 

Archived