Football: same old, same old

A Horse Named Stranger

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Might seem like a point earned for Arsenal after being two goals down but it's really two points dropped. Arsenal were all over Spurs for the majority of the game but gifted them two goals on a silver platter. 

Never heard this script before...

Xhaka still sucks. Guendouzi was awesome in 2nd half. Much better when Arsenal has possession and he has time.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Spurs got 2-2 draws against both City and Arsenal despite being outplayed in both (obviously moreso in the former).  That’s some good efficiency, if you’re hoping this is just a temporary bad patch.

The problem for Spurs is they were rubbish in the league for the last 10 games or so of last season too.

Quite a few positives for Arsenal from that. Having said that I'd agree with Philokles that going with ostensibly your most solid trio in midfield and still ending up as open as they were is a bit of a concern.

It's been a lot more than the last 10 games for Spurs. They have been awful in the league for the entirety of the second half of last season. Saw a stat that Spurs picked up 45 points in the first 19 games last season but only 26 points in their next 19 games. So counting this season as well, they've only managed to pick up 31 points in their last 23 league games. Their run to the CL final papered over just how poor they have been in the league for quite some time now.

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It's been a lot more than the last 10 games for Spurs. They have been awful in the league for the entirety of the second half of last season. Saw a stat that Spurs picked up 45 points in the first 19 games last season but only 26 points in their next 19 games. So counting this season as well, they've only managed to pick up 31 points in their last 23 league games. Their run to the CL final papered over just how poor they have been in the league for quite some time now.

This is true, but all of the top six aside from City and Liverpool had a crazy collapse of form last season.  Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea at least had the excuse of prioritizing European competition at that time.  I definitely would have expected Spurs to have improved on that, especially since Kane hasn’t had his usual August drought and they bought two very good players.  I think the situation is not so much some continuation of late-season fatigue but that the Spurs side has hit a critical late-cycle malaise as Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen all run down their contract on top of Dembele and Wanyama being pushed out for waning physically.  Sissoko and Son have been the only two players to really develop over the past year or so, while others have regressed or at most kept the same level.

So maybe this is temporary — they have fewer talent gaps than United (attack & MF), Chelsea (attack and possibly defense) or Arsenal (defense and MF) — but that depends on whether Poch can re-engage this team and transition into a new generation. 

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Imagine your center-back being Luiz, so knowing you need cover in front of him for when he goes crazy, and the best option for that is Xhaka.

Mate, at one point our best defender was Djourou & our best option at CF was Chamakh & Gervinho. We were born in the banter era.

As an aside, I fucking love Laca

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's not the only thing going wrong of course, but Spurs' form was always more patchy when Mousa Dembele was out of the team and having got rid of him they haven't replaced him. Maybe Ndombele will be that guy but it'll take time.

Ndombele is class. I think he will fulfil that role and more - he has more quality going forward than Dembele ever did. I think Spurs need a revamp on the defensive side. With Wanyama leaving and Dier having regressed quite a bit, they don't have a quality out-and-out defensive midfielder anymore.

Then you have Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose and Eriksen all seemingly running down their contracts which expire at the end of the season. Those players will need to be replaced but if they leave on free transfers then that's around 130-150 million worth of players going for nothing which could pose a problem for Spurs given they aren't really big spenders (especially when it comes to wages) and their stadium debt is substantial as well. 

ETA. Romano reporting that Icardi is set to join PSG. 

ETA2. PSG will pay a loan fee of €5m with a €65m option to buy. Also, Agresti has reported that Juve will not be signing Boateng. 

ETA3. Damn, lots of transfer news. Joyce reporting that Liverpool and Rangers are close to agreeing a permanent deal for Ryan Kent - fee around £6-7m. Another Liverpool youngster (Bobby Duncan) has joined Fiorentina for £1.8m + 20% sell on fee. Di Marzio reporting that Arsenal have reached an agreement with Roma for Mkhitaryan on loan. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Di Marzio reporting that Arsenal have reached an agreement with Roma for Mkhitaryan on loan. 

Mkhitaryan has never really fit into the Arsenal system and we have a surfeit of attacking options in the forwards and midfield. Hopefully the usual Arsenal injury list doesn't show us up, but the squad can probably take the hit.

11 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Ndombele is class. I think he will fulfil that role and more - he has more quality going forward than Dembele ever did.

I have no doubt that Ndombele will offer more final product than Dembele did but is he as insanely untacklable? Coz that was an awful lot of what Dembele offered (as well as his underrated defensive work on its own and his positioning to offer team-mates a safe pass), he made it hard for opponents to counter-press Spurs or to set up defensive lines coz once he'd got the ball he wasn't losing it till he chose to.

7 hours ago, Mexal said:

Arsenal has seen some crazy turnover. Almost there. Still a few guys to get rid of and replace (I'm looking at you Xhaka).

Yeah, I'd normally be uneasy with this much turnover at a club in such a short space of time (in a single window we've had departures of Koscielny, Monreal, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Ramsey, Welbeck, all of who could lay claim to having a spot in the first team at one point or another).

But the fact that the squad has been underachieving for so many years shows that a clean-out is needed, so in this case it's a positive. The quality coming in (Pepe, Ceballos, Tierney, and eventually Saliba) also helps the optics.

Long time, no posting, but a good win on the weekend. I was sort of expecting it, given that Wolves were playing in Europe.

Positives include attitude and goals, but we need to change the shape of our defense somehow. Last year, Gana patrolled in front of the central two, and Zouma had pace. Now, Gbamin is injured (and not acclimated), Schneiderlin really can't do that job owing to low mobility, and the rest of our midfielders aren't relly defense first. So we need a different shielding tactic. 

Adding to that - Mina and Keane are both big and strong, but they do not have pace. So we need to lessen the space in behind them - which would lead us to defend deeper. Hopefully, this can be sorted. 

Richarlison is scoring again, though, and Kean looks like he'll come good. And Iwobi has already scored twice, so some things are going well.

23 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Of course a move from Madrid to Newcastle was a step down, but nobody else wanted you. And we regret it more than you do, you cheeky useless cunt. 

What did I miss? :blink:

Archived