DCEU: Killer Clowns from Gotham City

GallowKnight

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

The inclusion of JSA members and Atom Smasher in particular makes me think the villain-to-redemption-to-villain-again arc is what they're going for.

I had DC Fandome running on my PC while I was drawing on my Cintiq and would swap when I got interested. Watched the DJ bit.

DJ said he'd been working on developing this with the producer for the better part of a decade, and he kept refering to Black Adam as an anti-hero, 'judge, jury, and executioner' and 'truth, justice, and the Black Adam way.'

Noble savage, or something.

15 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

DJ said he'd been working on developing this with the producer for the better part of a decade, and he kept refering to Black Adam as an anti-hero, 'judge, jury, and executioner' and 'truth, justice, and the Black Adam way.'

Noble savage, or something.

Definitely not noble savage and if that's what he was using he's either misunderstood Black Adam or misunderstood what that phrase means, but yes, the whole 'judge jury executioner' thing is the center of Black Adam's arc in Geoff John's iconic JSA series that I think they're going for.

Oh, the noble savage was my add on. The whole 'truth, justice, and the Black Adam way' was his, and he must've said anti-hero at least half a dozen times during his spiel. 

re: the JSA series you mentioned, I haven't read that one. Remember the name of it, or any details? I'll pick it up on comixology.

18 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

re: the JSA series you mentioned, I haven't read that one. Remember the name of it, or any details? I'll pick it up on comixology.

It's within the JSA series from 1999 to 2006, but I can't tell you where exactly Black Adam's arc starts (but it does weave in and out through from when he first appears to the end, through Infinite Crisis which 'ended' the series and then into the 'relaunch' 'Justice Society of America' title (ie they just made the name longer and reset the issue numbers) through to the end of John's tenure on the title with issue 28 of that run.

Bear in mind also that if you get them as single issues, when you get to the Black Reign mini-event you'd have to also make sure to get the Hawkman issues that also tie into the story- and that one's key coz it's very much the finale of the first part of Black Adam's arc. within the series.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

You know what, thinking on it some... bringing Keaton back as Bruce could be a fun way to do Batman Beyond.

Hasn't that been an idea that folks have been kicking around for a while now?  It isn't a half bad idea either. 

The more I think on this new Batman movie...how silly it seems to hash over covered ground again seemingly...it's also the trend in how they've treated Batman in general during the last ten plus years...Bale was what? Right around 30 playing a starting out Batman...Affleck is the mid to late 40s Batman who's hinted at being an extention of Bale, right? But then you now have Pattinson who's early to mid 30s...I get having to reinvent characters from time to time, but Marvel seemingly finally figured it out with their tweaks with Spider-Man, both the use of Tom Holland and acknowledging his origins and motivations, but retelling it again, as well as how they've also embraced Miles Morales.   DC doesn't seem to be able to do that with Batman...

Also, having watched the "Synder Cut" trailer...what's the big deal?  

What actually annoys me about DC and Batman is that there is so much potential with the character to tell interesting stories. Why not use Batman as you know, an actual detective , solving crimes and stuff. There are some fantastic source material to work from.

But instead they feel that the safest idea is to return to the obvious classics, Dark Knight returns or Batman: year one.. it’s kinda dull, just repeating the same thing over and over.

If I wanted any sort of origin story I can go and watch Begins. 

I dunno, maybe the movie will be ok, but like a lot of people, i seemingly don’t get why they went in this direction  when there were so many to choose from

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

No idea.

I actually more or less believe Snyder's departure as having more to do with family issues [his daughter committed suicide iirc] but if that thing [JL] was really around 4 hours long I suppose I can also see how DC might've wanted to rein it in once Whedon was brought on. Snyder and Whedon have very different visions as well, so-- mess. The Snyder fans appear to feel it'll redeem JL, or something. I'll watch it, because duh, but don't have a lot of hope it'll reverse my opinion of how badly DC/WB have fucked up such excellent IPs.

Marvel makes them look like rank amateurs. 

Besides a few parts in BvS I didn't care for Batfleck, but in JL he was a fucking joke lol, so obvs YYMV. Good riddance.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why not use Batman as you know, an actual detective , solving crimes and stuff. There are some fantastic source material to work from.

But instead they feel that the safest idea is to return to the obvious classics, Dark Knight returns or Batman: year one.. it’s kinda dull, just repeating the same thing over and over.

I see no evidence that this is Year One or TDKR. It is a somewhat early-years story but looks to be based on Zero Year which hasn't been done on screen before, and if the trailer is anything to go by he will be detectiving (that's the big strength of the Riddler as antagonist), so...

27 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Affleck is the mid to late 40s Batman who's hinted at being an extention of Bale, right?

Is he?

35 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hasn't that been an idea that folks have been kicking around for a while now?  It isn't a half bad idea either. 

The more I think on this new Batman movie...how silly it seems to hash over covered ground again seemingly...it's also the trend in how they've treated Batman in general during the last ten plus years...Bale was what? Right around 30 playing a starting out Batman...Affleck is the mid to late 40s Batman who's hinted at being an extention of Bale, right? But then you now have Pattinson who's early to mid 30s...I get having to reinvent characters from time to time, but Marvel seemingly finally figured it out with their tweaks with Spider-Man, both the use of Tom Holland and acknowledging his origins and motivations, but retelling it again, as well as how they've also embraced Miles Morales.   DC doesn't seem to be able to do that with Batman...

There’s no connection between Baleman and Batfleck. 

22 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The inclusion of JSA members and Atom Smasher in particular makes me think the villain-to-redemption-to-villain-again arc is what they're going for.

I'm thinking that might be the plan. I think the really evil things he did were largely retconned say it was possession/evil spirit. The last 15 years he's worked as sort of a DC magneto in the sense he uses deadly force to protect his homeland/people and doesn't have time for modern heroic codes.

Dwayne Johnson is perfect for the role in terms of appearance and the fact his career these days guarantee mindless entertainment to good is very promising. He seems quite keen on the character too. Maybe another chance for him to do ancient antihero better than scorpion king - he's come a long way since then

17 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I see no evidence that this is Year One or TDKR. It is a somewhat early-years story but looks to be based on Zero Year which hasn't been done on screen before, and if the trailer is anything to go by he will be detectiving (that's the big strength of the Riddler as antagonist), so...

Is he?

Comic sites are suggesting it's more similar to "batman ego" by darwyn cooke. Beyond the riddler it doesn't really resemble zero year either as the plot there involved riddler completely taking over Gotham and controlling society.

Wonder if serkis will be secretly playing killer croc, clayface or Grodd (planet of the apes)?

I'm also intrigued about the Terence Winter Gotham PD show because it's Terence winter. But i imagine everyone will accuse it of being a rehash of the silly Gotham show. I'd also think for that to work, jeffrey wright would need to at least guest star

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Wonder if serkis will be secretly playing killer croc, clayface or Grodd (planet of the apes)?

Serkis is Alfred, iirc from the con.

57 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Serkis is Alfred, iirc from the con.

Alfred is a CGI character in this?!!?  This'll be worse than Batman and Robin where he died and became a computer program!!! :lol:

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

This'll be worse than Batman and Robin where he died and became a computer program!!! :lol:

I... totally blocked that from my memory apparently. 

Thanks, bud   

asshole

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

Alfred is a CGI character in this?!!?  This'll be worse than Batman and Robin where he died and became a computer program!!! :lol:

Exactly, Serkis is probably doing mo cap of a person 20 years older than him. He will play himself in the inevitable origin flashbacks where we will be told how Batman's parents died - which is wise because this is often overlooked in the films despite being the foundation of the character :)

On 8/23/2020 at 1:27 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

There’s no connection between Baleman and Batfleck. 

Hmmmm...I still feel like I've read that somewhere, but it isn't worth dragging it out.

That being said, Little Jax tried to take me down a rabbit hole with him last night over a youtuber he likes who does "Film Theory", which is this guy trying to connect the various dots of various movie theories together. Despite it being from a few years ago, Little Jax wanted to prove to me, with the youtuber's evidence, that the Joker played by Jared Leto in Suicide Squad was in reality the Tim Drake Robin who'd become the Joker...

YouTube can really suck.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:07 PM, Heartofice said:

What actually annoys me about DC and Batman is that there is so much potential with the character to tell interesting stories. Why not use Batman as you know, an actual detective , solving crimes and stuff. There are some fantastic source material to work from.

If I wanted any sort of origin story I can go and watch Begins. 

I dunno, maybe the movie will be ok, but like a lot of people, i seemingly don’t get why they went in this direction  when there were so many to choose from

I mean I could like the idea of Batman being more detectivey but that makes the GCPD even more incompetent if you need a rich kid with no training to figure out (not so difficult) mysteries for them.  I'd rather see a story where the cops are actually competent and Batman essentially does stuff they wont because of the law.  You know like a vigilante does.  Instead Batman just wants to be a super cop with zero police training who is better than every cop ever just because.

3 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I mean I could like the idea of Batman being more detectivey but that makes the GCPD even more incompetent if you need a rich kid with no training to figure out (not so difficult) mysteries for them.

I think you could solve that by making the GCPD competent but almost unfixably corrupt and lazy. (Like kind of the police existentialism that's sweeping the states right now.)

7 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

I think you could solve that by making the GCPD competent but almost unfixably corrupt and lazy. (Like kind of the police existentialism that's sweeping the states right now.)

Yeah or have something like clues lead to the mayor we cant question him, Batman can etc.  I just don't like it when Batman figures everything out because that's honestly just incredibly lazy and stupid.

Or make it a period piece where Batman has access to tools because of his wealth that cops don't.  Its pretty much the case for all Batman detective stories I've seen/read except you know the cops should actually have those tools, so make it believable that they don't.

Archived