US Politics - All He Wants for Christmas Was His Two Dead Sheep

Mlle. Zabzie

27 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Why would you be surprised? He's 62 now and one of the main criteria the right wing activists who advise Trump on who to appoint have is that candidates be young enough to probably be on the bench for decades. So he's probably too old to appeal to them.

I was going to suggest they may have thought he was too old but, hey, Trump was pretty vicious against Hillary and Bill, and that would be salt in the wound, wouldn’t it?

13 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was going to suggest they may have thought he was too old but, hey, Trump was pretty vicious against Hillary and Bill, and that would be salt in the wound, wouldn’t it?

Donald Trump doesn't pay close enough attention to anything to remember who was or who wasn't involved in Bill Clinton's impeachment. He only would rub salt in a wound if the salt was right there staring him in the face, and this isn't such a situation. :)

14 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

hyperbole it is then.

Now, the question I have just started mulling over within the past few days is this:

'Given that Trump attacks and betrays *everybody* at one point or another, and given that even republicans find him difficult to work with at best, is it safe to assume that all republican senators would actually want to put up with Trump's crap for another term?'  Set the other BS aside.   

Just the last ten years along of their actions have all been squarely aimed at voter repression, voter suppression, destroying rights of women and ever other Other you can name, denying the right to vote to as many people as possible.  Additionally action they've taken upon every rule and regulation of corporate entities from Wall Street and the banking monoliths and even the Federal Aviation Authority have been on getting rid of as many regulations and controls as possible, and never really prosecuting even overt criminal behavior.

Beyond this, even if one wishes to deny that various social safety nets have anything to do with national democracy, one cannot deny that denial of affordable, easily accessible health care, food and shelter, water, etc.,  denial to women reproductive control, prenatal care and post natal care, blockage of any gun possession regulation, have entirely adverse affect upon the climate, infant mortality, expected life span.

The point of democracy is life liberty and happiness -- and every one of their policies is aimed to deny all three to anyone but themselves and their obscenely bloated corrupt paymasters.

So no, not hyperbole.  To say otherwise is denial of what is going on, or at best, ignorance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More on polling:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-democratic-presidential-candidates-are-becoming-less-popular/

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Just the last ten years along of their actions have all been squarely aimed at voter repression, voter suppression, destroying rights of women and ever other Other you can name, denying the right to vote to as many people as possible.  Additionally action they've taken upon every rule and regulation of corporate entities from Wall Street and the banking monoliths and even the Federal Aviation Authority have been on getting rid of as many regulations and controls as possible, and never really prosecuting even overt criminal behavior.

Beyond this, even if one wishes to deny that various social safety nets have anything to do with national democracy, one cannot deny that denial of affordable, easily accessible health care, food and shelter, water, etc.,  denial to women reproductive control, prenatal care and post natal care, blockage of any gun possession regulation, have entirely adverse affect upon the climate, infant mortality, expected life span.

The point of democracy is life liberty and happiness -- and every one of their policies is aimed to deny all three to anyone but themselves and their obscenely bloated corrupt paymasters.

So no, not hyperbole.  To say otherwise is denial of what is going on, or at best, ignorance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More on polling:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-democratic-presidential-candidates-are-becoming-less-popular/

still didn't even attempt to answer the question.  Need I repeat it?

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Over the years I have often read that the hatred of Hilary Clinton was rooted in her role in the impeachment team, and as Bill moved up in the world of politics Republicans revenged themselves on her. It’s not something I pulled out of a hat, but I really couldn’t provide you with quotes and links.

There's probably some truth to this - I'm obviously too young to remember (or even be alive), but I'm sure some Republicans that still remembered her harbored resentment.  But I think it's quite the overstatement to attribute the intense hatred she's received for the past quarter century to being a research staffer on the impeachment hearings.  It's also strange to compare her role to MCs that managed the Clinton impeachment - they're not remotely on the same level.

My understanding is the intense hatred (on the right) is rooted in her being the first First Lady to (publicly) take an active and even a leadership role in the administration's policy and politics.  And of course, many of the voters that hate her the most are probably still unaware of her role in Nixon's impeachment proceedings.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

My understanding is the intense hatred (on the right) is rooted in her being the first First Lady to (publicly) take an active and even a leadership role in the administration's policy and politics.  And of course, many of the voters that hate her the most are probably still unaware of her role in Nixon's impeachment proceedings.

I agree, though I don't think either Clinton left Arkansas without a lot of scars, and those got retroactively magnified because of the role she played in the WH. 

In other news, The Turtle just tipped his hand that they Senate trial is going to be completely coordinated with the WH. Not a shocker by any means, but it's dumb to admit it publicly. This is just another example of how Democrats fail at messaging. Republicans are winning the partisanship battle despite the fact that their behavior is deeply more partisan than the Democrats. Openly defying your oath of office to protect the president is as partisan as you can get while also being completely unethical. 

3 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

still didn't even attempt to answer the question.  Need I repeat it?

You. Had. A. Question. ?

What was it? O. That.  Bedbug has been an idiot (or something) so why would the rethugs put up with him and others like him forever?

That question was answered.   They don't believe in democracy. So what he's accomplishing is the plan, this is the way they roll.  They've been busy with this since Nixon.

It seems even more ridiculous now, in 2019, but a lot of the hatred was also rooted in the fact that she had an actual job. 

23 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Prosecute the appointed ones, at least. Barr, Pompeo, Mulvaney, DeVos, Chao. Giuliani isn't even appointed, he's just a crooked lawyer sticking his hand out in Russia's backyard. And the whole rotten Trump clan, of course. NRA leadership is almost certainly dirty with Russian oligarch money. 

I would love to see all of them go to prison--I guess I was thinking about congressional republicans, but it might be a stretch at this point to assume they're dirty too. It'd be great if this mafioso takeover of the White House was punished with prison time. 

I distinctly remember the early iteration of the right wing outrage machine went after Hillary Clinton during the 92 election campaign. She was trying to defend Bill from the Gennifer Flowers scandal and said she wouldn't just stand by her man like Tammy Wynette if he'd cheated on her. There was also some shit about refusing to bake cookies or something? I mean it was definitely "political wife doesn't just gaze adoringly at her man during speeches" territory, refusing to play the pliant homemaker. I suppose the backlash was inevitable as soon as she got a long term national spotlight on her.

12 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I distinctly remember the early iteration of the right wing outrage machine went after Hillary Clinton during the 92 election campaign. She was trying to defend Bill from the Gennifer Flowers scandal and said she wouldn't just stand by her man like Tammy Wynette if he'd cheated on her. There was also some shit about refusing to bake cookies or something? I mean it was definitely "political wife doesn't just gaze adoringly at her man during speeches" territory, refusing to play the pliant homemaker. I suppose the backlash was inevitable as soon as she got a long term national spotlight on her.

Ever since 1992, she continued to provide more media attention for cookies than even the Cookie Monster -- just two examples, both from 2016, both in the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-cookies.html

“I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies and had teas, but what I decided to do was to fulfill my profession,” she said during Bill Clinton’s first presidential campaign.

The blowback was intense and she spent weeks apologizing, saying that she respected women who chose to stay at home and raise children. Family Circle magazine invited her to and Barbara Bush to submit recipes for a chocolate-chip cookie bake-off, and she obliged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/us/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign-donald-trump.html

Mrs. Clinton has battle wounds from wading into gender in the past. In 1992, she seemed an affront to stay-at-home mothers when she defended her legal career, saying, “I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies.” As a working mother in the White House, Mrs. Clinton redefined the role of first lady when she tried, and subsequently failed, to overhaul health care, but she also played the role of a traditional wife when she stayed with Mr. Clinton despite his affair with Monica Lewinsky.

49 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Ever since 1992, she continued to provide more media attention for cookies than even the Cookie Monster -- just two examples, both from 2016, both in the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/us/politics/hillary-clinton-cookies.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/us/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign-donald-trump.html

The funny thing about the cookie recipes is that Barbara Bush provided a recipe that used dried cherries, really showing her upper-class habits. 30 years ago it was almost impossible to find dried cherries, even at the bulk store where we all went to get our baking supplies. Even today it’s more difficult to find dried cherries than any other fruit. Note, I’m not talking about candied cherries used in fruit cake, but the far more expensive dried variety.

I mean, who the f used dried cherries in chocolate chip cookies, secret ingredient or not.

eta: I would point out my recollection was that it was Laura Bush, not Barbara, who provided the cookie recipe, for oatmeal cookies with dried cherries. After that all the women’s magazines in the US started publishing cookie recipes that used dried cherries. You too could bake like a 1%er!

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The funny thing about the cookie recipes is that Barbara Bush provided a recipe that used dried cherries, really showing her upper-class habits. 30 years ago it was almost impossible to find dried cherries, even at the bulk store where we all went to get our baking supplies. Even today it’s more difficult to find dried cherries than any other fruit. Note, I’m not talking about candied cherries used in fruit cake, but the far more expensive dried variety.

I mean, who the f used dried cherries in chocolate chip cookies, secret ingredient or not.

eta: I would point out my recollection was that it was Laura Bush, not Barbara, who provided the cookie recipe, for oatmeal cookies with dried cherries. After that all the women’s magazines in the US started publishing cookie recipes that used dried cherries. You too could bake like a 1%er!

Dried cherries in a chocolate chip cookie? Fucking savages 

Weird how Biden thinks that Labour getting hammered in the UK is a warning about Democrats "going too far left", yet Clinton losing in 2016 somehow wasn't a warning about "Democrats going too milquetoast toast and running their campaign on platitudes"?

I think Brexit played a much bigger role in the UK election than Corbyn being too far left, but the usual commentators will use it as ammunition against populist left candidates like Bernie. Maybe they'll be right but I doubt it, especially since Bernie is quite moderate compared to Corbyn. I mean in Canada Or Denmark his policies would be standard.

20 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Wow this is a scathing review of Kamala Harris.

https://news.yahoo.com/kamala-harris-flames-black-people-100015483.html

I must admit I was tone death to the scale of resentment/baggage that she could not shake.

Yeah, Lara Bazelon has led the charge challenging the progressive-prosecutor label of Harris. I really admire Lara's writing, and her sister Emily Bazelon (law scholar, Slate's political podcast, NY Times, etc) even more. I think these sisters always provide excellent, thoughtful analysis about legal issues.

Michigan has an array of fruit companies with dried cherries available. Traverse Bay Fruit company and Montmorency(sp) are two that I regularly get cherries, juice and cherry cider from. Here's a link- http://www.cherrycentral.com/home_shoppers/traverse_bay_fruit_co.php

Buy Michigan people!

Archived