Football: half-way point

Iskaral Pust

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

edit to add: one of my United-supporting friends texted me to agree that Burnley is the club the PL could most do without.  I assume that means they clogged and kicked all game as usual while their fans raged like some Orwellian weekly hate ritual. 

Burnley doing Burnley things. They really should have had two players sent off. I'm just glad that James came through unscathed because he bore the brunt of some nasty tackles. Mike Dean's officiating was a disgrace as usual. 

6 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Haaland has joined Dortmund. 

Probably the right decision for him to go to Germany to continue his development for a couple of years. Having said that it’s a little surprising he’s gone to Dortmund rather than Leipzig. That seems like the obvious red bull progression and they’re having a better season than Dortmund this year anyway.

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Probably the right decision for him to go to Germany to continue his development for a couple of years. Having said that it’s a little surprising he’s gone to Dortmund rather than Leipzig. That seems like the obvious red bull progression and they’re having a better season than Dortmund this year anyway.

Dortmund is a great place for young players to develop as well. He'd also probably be a guaranteed starter for Dortmund immediately since they are short in the CF position. 

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not really the biggest surprise ever. However the rumored 20m € transfer fee (release clause) does strike me as quite low.

Hopefully Salzburg learn from this and go the route of Benfica. If you are going to be a selling club that puts in release clauses, make sure that the number is a bloated one to force clubs to either negotiate or trigger the clause anyway. The release clause for Minamino and reported one for Haaland is ridiculously low. If they played for Benfica, they'd have clauses of at least 40-50 million or more. 

20 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Hopefully Salzburg learn from this and go the route of Benfica. If you are going to be a selling club that puts in release clauses, make sure that the number is a bloated one to force clubs to either negotiate or trigger the clause anyway. 

I think the issue for Salzburg is that they market themselves to young talents as a club who will develop players and then help them to move on to the next level. If they’re putting bloated buyout clauses into player’s contracts that might discourage people from coming. Benfica and Porto might be selling clubs but the Portuguese league is much bigger than the Austrian one so they don’t need to promote themselves as much.

The other thing to remember though is that Haaland only signed for them 18 months ago and barely played for the first team last season so there was no particlar reason to renegotiate his contract. 20mil is actually a really high release clause to insert into the contract of a teenager moving from Norway to Austria.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The other thing to remember though is that Haaland only signed for them 18 months ago and barely played for the first team last season so there was no particlar reason to renegotiate his contract. 20mil is actually a really high release clause to insert into the contract of a teenager moving from Norway to Austria.

18 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think the issue for Salzburg is that they market themselves to young talents as a club who will develop players and then help them to move on to the next level. If they’re putting bloated buyout clauses into player’s contracts that might discourage people from coming. Benfica and Porto might be selling clubs but the Portuguese league is much bigger than the Austrian one so they don’t need to promote themselves as much.

These are both important points.  Salzburg got a bit unlucky that Haaland and Minamino were so visibly successful so quickly.  Slower progress could have allowed new contracts with higher release fees.  Also Benfica and Porto are tapping a huge Brazilian feeder system, while RBS has to fish in smaller, less established talent pools.

And the news reports about United missing out on Haaland say they were unwilling to include a new buy-out fee and give Raiola and Haaland’s father a large share of any transfer profit.  That kind of agent bargaining shows why Haaland’s RBS buy-out fee wouldn’t be very high.  They plan to  make several big transfers over his career and get a big pay-day each time. 

Archived