Westworld IX; 03.22.20 Divergence - Westeros.org

HexMachina

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Dolores most closely resembles Joseph Stalin if he could copy his brain and stick it in people. Wonderful villain.

Also, I was right. Those copies are gonna go schizo-titso  by the end of the season, that's your subversive conflict. Destroying the human world is too straightforward a goal with too definitive a resolution to accomplish in one season. 

I imagine Dolores will end up choosing to protect Caleb and some of the humans from herselves as they go full Skynet. She has to learn how to count on others again if she wants to succeed.

Really?

I was thinking the Hale Dolores would betray real Delores in order to protect her “son”. And that’d be the Delores v. Delores split. 

I can totally see real Delores ruthlessly turning on Caleb after using him in an Ex Machina situation. 

33 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I imagine Dolores will end up choosing to protect Caleb and some of the humans from herselves as they go full Skynet. She has to learn how to count on others again if she wants to succeed.

I agree that Dolores is earmarked for redemption at some point, probably the end.  What kind of redemption?  Don't think it's clear at all yet.  Could be Darth Vader redemption, Jack Shepherd redemption, Magneto redemption, or Andy Dufresne redemption.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

I agree that Dolores is earmarked for redemption at some point, probably the end.  What kind of redemption?  Don't think it's clear at all yet.  Could be Darth Vader redemption, Jack Shepherd redemption, Magneto redemption, or Andy Dufresne redemption.

One of those examples does not belong with the others. It's the one written by Lindeloff.

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

One of those examples does not belong with the others. It's the one written by Lindeloff.

Vigilant Lindelof hate is boring and beneath you.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Only when you're riding it.

At least when something I'm on top of becomes incoherent in seasons 4 thru 5 it's because he got fucked into a vegetative state, not because I'm a hack fraud using a simpleton's idea of a narrative philosophy..

1 minute ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

becomes incoherent in seasons 4 thru 5 it's because he got fucked into a vegetative state

...What the hell kind of sex do you have?  There are seasons involved?

Jokes aside, I get it, you don't like Lost.  Let's move on.  Ran out of liquor yesterday, started in on wine tonight.  Forgot how different the drunk is.  Wine's always a happy drunk.  Thanks corona!

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Wine's always a happy drunk.  Thanks corona!

Yeah, unless it’s red wine and you over do it.

Then you fall asleep for a couple hours, wake up sick, and vomit up dark liquid everywhere and have a momentary freak out that you’re throwing up insane amounts of blood. Until you remember what you were drinking earlier.

(hey, it only happened the once like 5 years ago)

I could see a situation where Caleb turns on Dolores when he learns she is just another thing in his life that isn’t “real.” He shut off his friends voice/phone call thing to get away and ends up in league with an android. There is bound to be some reaction to that at least (and i think Caleb conveniently not learning as much from Bernard this week supports that)

10 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Yeah I'm going with this as well

10 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Really?

I was thinking the Hale Dolores would betray real Delores in order to protect her “son”. And that’d be the Delores v. Delores split. 

I can totally see real Delores ruthlessly turning on Caleb after using him in an Ex Machina situation. 

I don't see it needing to be exclusive from this bolded. Caleb giving Dolores insight into humans and making her more human works, but so does Hale Dolores protecting her son.

What's one of the key words for this season that has been prominent in the marketing and the start of every episode? Divergence. The obvious point is the divergence from Rehoboams vision of the future, but a veiled second meaning that really works from where we are is that each of the Dolores start diverging as soon as they spin off. They're on the same person for a very brief time.

I'm going to shout out one of my favourite shows, Farscape managed to show a longer form divergence of personalities like this and I'm ready for something else to do it that feels real. I'd see the Connells Dolores and the Musashi Dolores will be antagonists while the Halo Dolores protects her son and prime Dolores has a crisis of identity/change in plan. Those 2 are a) in places that involve regular murder as part of the human life anyway and b) are not positioned near anyone they would develop empathy for.

That sounds really possible, karaddin. I have been watching that divergence note. I know it's an ancient idea refined over the years in both sci-fi and reality, but I harp back to Foundation and the careful attention paid to plan divergence.  In Foundation the mathematicians made adjustments to correct divergence, and I am going to be curious to see if moves are made, events created, or new characters added, to correct or re-direct divergences back to the central plan.

11 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Dolores most closely resembles Joseph Stalin if he could copy his brain and stick it in people. Wonderful villain.

Also, I was right. Those copies are gonna go schizo-titso  by the end of the season, that's your subversive conflict. Destroying the human world is too straightforward a goal with too definitive a resolution to accomplish in one season. 

As someone with a psychology degree speaking to a doctorb of sorts, how do we clinically diagnose this? 

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Futureworld is on today at noon Eastern Time on a cable channel called "COMET".

Just checked, I don't believe "COMET" is available for me - fucking Comcast (although you'd think it would be just from the similarity in names).  Thanks though.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:34 AM, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm wondering if any of the writers have read Ancillary Justice?

I like the irony of Delores being betrayed by Delores. There could be multiple factions and the question will become which one is the Delores we remember? A tricky question as Delores prime appears to be following her season 2 behaviour while Tessa Thompson Delores resembles the orginal host character more closely. 

I'm not convinced Delores prime cares at all for Caleb yet and sees him more as a useful tool/plaything. Maybe we'll get some mirroring of her and MIB in the sense Caleb changes Delores but for the better this time.

I liked the twist as it didn't feel like a cheat at all, made sense (who better to trust than yourself?) and best of all it only ran for 4 episodes.

Archived