U.S. Politics: Self Medicating

Martell Spy

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Kloubuchar is a Midwestern lady. She looks and talks like a tough old oak that doesn't take sass. Sexually repressed moms can see themselves in her and men with more guns than sense won't get scurrd 'cause she sounds too mean.

In other words one might say that she's an ideal choice to shore up the areas where Democrats were weak in 2016. 

I agree that she would be solid, though I know the left wing of the party won’t be happy.

Biden’s VP pick is not going to be the shiny bit of garland to decorate the ticket as most VP picks are.  Biden’s VP pick is a life insurance policy.  Klobuchar is a centrist Midwestern woman and the very real prospect of her becoming president if she’s Biden’s VP shouldn’t scare off the people who need flipped to win.  Since Biden has promised a woman, I think he could do a lot worse than Klobz.

And in other Biden news...while the vetting of Reade is not great and continues to be a brutal way to treat people who come forth, holy crap she testified as an expert witness despite her degree being ceremonial:

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Obviously doesn't mean that she is going to get the nod, but seems she is a finalist at least. Kind of weird that this is the one that we hear about, unless this is the first of a number of finalists.

According to this, sounds like his team will be vetting a lot of people (well, women).  I doubt he'll pick Klobuchar, and I think she'd be one of the worst choices of those mentioned.  

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, this does beg the obvious question. 

We were so naive. My sister was only 17 at the time, and we just thought he must have written an important number down and given her the wrong photo. We all quickly forgot about it, but for a couple hours there we felt bad that he had left and wouldn't have this phone number he obviously must have wanted. 

1 hour ago, dornishpen said:

If Biden is focused on flipping the Obama to Trump rust belt states and states like Arizona, I don't see how Klobuchar helps him at all. I think he's probably stronger in the rust belt than she is. I could see maybe she'd be useful in states like Iowa where her hot dish in the heartland shtick goes over well, but over all I don't think she's a good pick.

ETA I'm not even sure I know what a hot dish is, I had the wrong name and googled it and now I'm scared. Do people really eat that?

A hot dish is a casserole.  

55 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

We were so naive. My sister was only 17 at the time, and we just thought he must have written an important number down and given her the wrong photo. We all quickly forgot about it, but for a couple hours there we felt bad that he had left and wouldn't have this phone number he obviously must have wanted. 

52 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Inquiring minds want to know!

Dude's sister couldn't even lock down an all-time B list actor.

B)

I really hope it's not Klobuchar. I'd be pretty happy with all of the big names that are floated around except her. I found her debate performance pretty disqualifying, her barely concealed rage at being challenged with reasonable questions was not a good, look and if Pete Buttgieg gets under her skin that much, how can she face the Republicans? 

I do think there is a decent chance it's her if she made a VP deal in exchange for dropping out on super Tuesday.

1 hour ago, Darzin said:

I do think there is a decent chance it's her if she made a VP deal in exchange for dropping out on super Tuesday.

Considering Buttigieg and Klobuchar dropped out virtually simultaneously I don't think there was any deal made or suggested.  I suspect someone else made his wishes clear.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

And in other Biden news...while the vetting of Reade is not great and continues to be a brutal way to treat people who come forth, holy crap she testified as an expert witness despite her degree being ceremonial:

It should be noted that Reade is challenging whether or not Antioch's records are correct.  

Still, it is becoming very hard to argue that on a balanced view, there is enough evidence that you should disbelieve Biden.  That doesn't mean you should disbelieve Reade, or that it didn't happen.  But similarly believing Reade doesn't mean disbelieving Biden.  If your starting point is to believe both, and saying you need decent evidence to overturn that belief, I fail to see how enough is being produced to overturn the belief in Biden.  

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I mean, this does beg the obvious question. 

I agree.

4 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

That's not answering the big question.

Did Caruso wear his douche bag sun glasses? I mean, I live with the assumption that they have attached and grown to his body in a bizarre, symbiotic fashion. So that it feeds of mediocrity acting talent evaporating from either his head or his hand.

So can you confirm the existince of said sun glasses or not?

6 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Apparently Biden has asked Klobuchar to undergo VP vetting. Obviously doesn't mean that she is going to get the nod, but seems she is a finalist at least. Kind of weird that this is the one that we hear about, unless this is the first of a number of finalists. Also don't understand the politics of picking her. Shes don't really bring much to the table, and the only thing truely notable about her campaign is how much she seemed to despise Pete.

I think I probably find a connection because I can link quickly to a fair number of national level politicians, but my connection to Trump is more interesting because it is only three or four degrees (depending if you include having met someone once at a wedding as a degree) and it goes through Vince McMahon.

Mine are not very exciting but the highlights are-

a friend of mine had his fiancée seduced away by Matthew Gray Gubler (he is still salty about this and gets mad every time I’m like welllllll fair enough)

I turned down a dinner invitation with a well known punk musician/actor/person who is famous for being famous because said person was only two years younger than Fury Sr.

I know or know people who know every tattooer who has ever been on tv (this is not impressive and is true about pretty much all of us)

I am one degree of separation or less from every member of the Misfits, any lineup.

I have dated members of a couple semi well known metal bands.

Everyone in Minnesota knows someone who knew Prince in some capacity (in my case a photographer I worked with was hired by him a few times)

I called Ozzy Osbourne an asshole at the mall of America as a teenager.

Fury Sr used to work out in the same gym with Hulk Hogan, who looked a lot like him at the time.

a member of my 90s Chat room V:tM group was Ryan Gosling’s cousin. 

I was once hugged by Ice T

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I agree.

That's not answering the big question.

Did Caruso wear his douche bag sun glasses? I mean, I live with the assumption that they have attached and grown to his body in a bizarre, symbiotic fashion. So that it feeds of mediocrity acting talent evaporating from either his head or his hand.

So can you confirm the existince of said sun glasses or not?

He wore the sunglasses. 

9 hours ago, Darzin said:

I really hope it's not Klobuchar. I'd be pretty happy with all of the big names that are floated around except her. I found her debate performance pretty disqualifying, her barely concealed rage at being challenged with reasonable questions was not a good, look and if Pete Buttgieg gets under her skin that much, how can she face the Republicans? 

Personally I like Klobuchar a lot, but I doubt she'll be the VP. All indications are that the Biden campaign is looking at a lot of people, and it seems likely this news was leaked by a Klobuchar ally who was trying to get her name in the mix some more. Most of the talk recently has been about Warren and Harris.

I doubt Warren gets the nod either though. It does seem like she and Biden are talking a lot more now, and she'd make a good Treasury Secretary if she wanted to leave the Senate. But naming her VP doesn't square at all with Biden's talk about wanting to be a bridge to the next generation of Democratic leaders (which he has seemed quite sincere about).

There's a lot of other names being floated around here and there, but I think Harris is the favorite. I'd take the field over her if I was betting, but she's got the best odds.

7 hours ago, dornishpen said:

According to google it's a tater tot, meat and condensed soup casserole which sounds terrifying.

That's a very specific hot dish, not all hot dishes are tater tot hot dish.  Hot dish is just any casserole.

Archived