Soda. Pop. Coke.

SkynJay

Taken from the US Politics thread.

Is it Soda, Pop or Coke?  And where exactly is the dividing line.

Interestingly, Coke was the trend nationwide for a time, so much so that Coca Cola ran ads almost begging people to use their full name to get 'the real thing.'  They feared Coke being the generic name greatly (Under the Influence is a great podcast about advertising if you want the full story).

For me we drink Soda.  Buy weirdly, if you buy a bottle or can from the vending machine you are at a pop machine to most people.  So maybe we are close to the dividing line here in Colorado?

My grandpa from Oklahoma is the only one i know who used pop.

Soda. Always soda.

Although, I just had a stunning realization, which is that growing up we always called it a 'Coke Machine' when referring to a vending machine. Regardless of whether it sold Coke products (although they usually did).

In the UK, coke only means coca-cola (or cocaine, it depends on the context). If you ask for coke in a restaurant, they will only bring you coca-cola (or cocaine, depending on the restaurant I suppose), or some other cola if they don’t have coke (“Is Pepsi ok?”).

The generic name for them is “fizzy drinks”. People will understand you if you say “soda” or “pop” (gross), but you will be treated with suspicion.

I don't have much to contribute to this... debate, but such linguistic "particularisms" are a common source of funny exchanges and jokes in France and, I would assume, in most countries.

Here's a map showing the most famous example of regional particularism in France:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3Ng-z3Ihkj/?utm_source=ig_embed

For you barbarians, a "pain au chocolat" (lit: chocolate bread) is a type of pastry that is very dear to all French kids and a symbol of childhood and innocence. But the uncivilized tribes in the South-West call it "chocolatine" (lit: little chocolate).
The joke recently went all the way to Parliament when a representative proposed a bill to enshrine the term "pain au chocolat" into law.

For curious minds, there are maps for other French particularisms here:
https://positivr.fr/langue-francaise-cet-atlas-repertorie-les-expressions-regionales/

Linguist M. Avanzi wrote a book on those in 2017. It's... funny.

The sorts of people that say coke are the ones that walk aground the beach in wrangler jeans, cowboy boots, a flannel shirt, and one hugely over sized belt buckle. Only Texans say coke.

People that say soda have funny accents and talk way too fast.

Clearly the only choice here is pop.

I call them ... boring poisonous chemicals. Anyone else?

At least I get some fun out of poisoning myself with alcohol!

1 minute ago, Week said:

I call them ... boring poisonous chemicals. Anyone else?

At least I get some fun out of poisoning myself with alcohol!

I  love the seen in Family Vacation when Clark Griswold orders Coke and the French waiter refers to it as American Champagne.

31 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I've never heard anyone use 'coke' for anything other than Coca Cola. That would be weird otherwise.

I would say 'pop' or 'fizzy drinks' when talking about carbonated beverages.

It's a Southern U.S. thing, and it makes no sense. 

Pop is the lingo here, but I also have spent a decent amount of my life in Cali, so I use soda and pop interchangeably. Most people know what you mean, but you might get an odd look now and then when using the wrong term. But I'm an adult and rarely drink any. At least up until everything went insane, and getting some fast food is all you can have.

But who the fuck thinks calling all drinks coke makes any sense at all? 

My formative local colloquialism years were spent in Colorado and both my parents adopted calling it soda, even though they are from MN, so I always call it soda.  Almost as a point of pride.

I don't care what you call it, as long as it isn't 'soft drink'.  Soft drinks have cocaine in them.

32 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

In the UK, coke only means coca-cola (or cocaine, it depends on the context). If you ask for coke in a restaurant, they will only bring you coca-cola (or cocaine, depending on the restaurant I suppose)

What kinda restaurants do you have in the UK in which it's possible they'll bring you cocaine?

1 minute ago, aceluby said:

Don't be mad at me because you're on the wrong side of history.

My arm isn't as good because I've been out of the sport for more than a decade now, but I can still hit you in the nuts with a can of pop from, man I hope at least, 50 feet away. 

"Soda" is the only correct choice. "Pop" is flyover country talk. Generic "Coke" is acceptable only if you have a Southern accent. "Soda pop" is the devil's compromise and should be abjured.

Archived