Soda. Pop. Coke.

SkynJay

15 hours ago, Hereward said:

I’d like to apologise, especially to Americans, for my recent post. It’s not really an excuse, but I was pretty drunk, though strangely I remembered every word when I woke up with a sense of shame and dread.

Don’t get me wrong, I heard what Tywin said every fucking day of my childhood, living next door to a US housing estate for the local base, and subsequently spent most of my childhood fighting American children. It’s not fucking funny. But I went over the top. 

You know what?

Thank you for kicking Napoleon's ass as well.

I'm going to go drink a toast of some soda and whiskey.

20 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, but where do you live?

Well my years of calling everything coke were spent mostly in Albuquerque.  I live in Oregon now, though.

17 hours ago, Hereward said:

I’d like to apologise, especially to Americans, for my recent post. It’s not really an excuse, but I was pretty drunk, though strangely I remembered every word when I woke up with a sense of shame and dread.

Don’t get me wrong, I heard what Tywin said every fucking day of my childhood, living next door to a US housing estate for the local base, and subsequently spent most of my childhood fighting American children. It’s not fucking funny. But I went over the top. 

Haha...I don't think you went overboard at all.  Americans need a shot now and then to help us see the nationalism that's been imprinted on us as we grow up. 

18 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

San Pelligrino Lemon or Blood Orange every time! :D.

I am a Pellegrino addict.  I love all the flavors. 

25 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Well my years of calling everything coke were spent mostly in Albuquerque.  I live in Oregon now, though.

Haha...I don't think you went overboard at all.  Americans need a shot now and then to help us see the nationalism that's been imprinted on us as we grow up. 

I am a Pellegrino addict.  I love all the flavors. 

I like most of them, those two are my favourites though.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, Tywin et al. said:

But who the fuck thinks calling all drinks coke makes any sense at all? 

Me!

I will gladly say “I’m going to grab a Coke” no matter what actual beverage I want to actually get.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

You know what?

Thank you for kicking Napoleon's ass as well.

Napoleon gets a lot of bad press, but the Bill & Ted documentary showed that he wasn't a really bad dude, he just got cranky if people kept him away from his water slides.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Even a sprite?

But that is blasphemy!

What kind of Coke do you want?

I’ll take a Sprite.

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

My ex gf from Kentucky does this.  Anything with bubbles is a coke.

She sounds like a wonderful gal.  I’m sorry you lost her.

So I just went shopping and happened to see another monstrosity that people in the UK may refer to as soda. The awful concoction that is cream soda. 

Regrettably, it was and remains my nanna's favourite drink, so she would often try and tempt me with it as a child. It is a cloyingly sickly sweet "vanilla" flavoured "drink". I use drink loosely because consuming it is like swallowing syrup.

Gross stuff.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So I just went shopping and happened to see another monstrosity that people in the UK may refer to as soda. The awful concoction that is cream soda. 

Regrettably, it was and remains my nanna's favourite drink, so she would often try and tempt me with it as a child. It is a cloyingly sickly sweet "vanilla" flavoured "drink". I use drink loosely because consuming it is like swallowing syrup.

Gross stuff.

I like cream soda! Vanilla is one of the best flavours and is basically a vegetable so counts as one of your 5-a-day, and it can be pretty much any colour you want it to be - blue, red, green, amber, puce, clear, yourfavouritecolour!!

The cans you get in supermarkets aren't the best, but done right it's great.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

I like cream soda! Vanilla is one of the best flavours and is basically a vegetable so counts as one of your 5-a-day, and it can be pretty much any colour you want it to be - blue, red, green, amber, puce, clear, yourfavouritecolour!!

The cans you get in supermarkets aren't the best, but done right it's great.

Cream soda's supposed to taste like liquid cotton candy, and neon pink is the only acceptable colour.

I’m sure the Coca Cola company has tried as hard as it can to stamp out the use of ‘coke’ as a generic reference to a soft drink. Back in the 70s in my journalism classes we were taught about copyright and how if you use the word ‘coke’ without a capital your publication would be getting a warning letter from a law firm employed the company. I think the Olympics took lessons from them. No bloody way were they going to let coke go the way of ‘kleenex’, or ‘zipper’, or ‘windbreaker’, or ‘band-aid’ and a whole lot of other brand names that became generic. Google has been fighting the good fight too.

57 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I drink soda maybe once every couple months but I love root beer, cream soda, and ginger beer.  And whatever the fuck Moxie is, that's the good shit.

Oof.  Talk about an acquired taste. 

Fun fact: moxie mixes....not horribly...with jagermeister.  

Archived