UK Politics: Statues of Limitations

22 minutes ago, Conflicting Thought said:

Hmm i thought the preferred nomenclature was, SJWs. 

Social justice warrior has a lot of syllables for some of the people who bandy it about to remember. Woke is easy. 

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

Just listening to the Food Programme on Radio 4. According to it, Boris Johnson had an epiphany about the effects of weight on health after his own experience of Covid-19, and has resolved to Do Something about obesity in Britain. 

It follows that we should hope the Prime Minister is exposed to as many deeply unpleasant experiences as possible to push him towards socially compassionate policies. What first? 

Alcohol poisoning?

"Sturgeon refuses to rule out Scotland screening visitors from England
First minister’s comments come after public health expert said people arriving from England could also be asked to self-isolate"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/29/sturgeon-refuses-to-rule-out-scotland-screening-visitors-from-england

And the EU isn't going to allow in visitors from the US.  I wouldn't either if I were the EU.  This is a global loop, driven by the US refusing to do anything to contain, isolate, test and trace and treat.

Not to mention all the prosperous USians who will doubtless attempt to refugee in Europe from the virus and accompanying shortages and violence of the winter due to the above by the end of the year. (If I'm wrong in this prediction for what's coming here this fall and winter, I'll be the most glad of all!)

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Being woke is a bad thing is it?

Wouldn't everything be so much better if everyone turned a blind eye to racism like the good old days!

Not sure your definition of woke works if that’s how you imagine it’s being used.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

It’s up to you how you prefer to be referred to.

Personally, I'm happy with either, they're compliments after all, not insults.

If I've got to go to war for anything, I can't think of anything better than social justice

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Personally, I'm happy with either, they're compliments after all, not insults.

If I've got to go to war for anything, I can't think of anything better than social justice

That’s fair. But it is used as an insult, probably because your definition of the term is probably quite different than mine. ( neither are a term I tend to use all that often anyway because it tends to connect you to the end of the spectrum of idiots on the internet)

Right, some people use it as an insult because they view racial equality as a bad thing, or compassion and empathy are such alien concepts to them that they can't conceive of a reason why people might care that others are treated poorly.

The definition of the word hasn't magically changed, you're just on the side of a bunch of racists and bigots.

Yeah, that’s the difference. Suggesting that not being ‘woke’ means you aren’t for racial equality or worse, are actually racist, is pretty much the sort of non thinking reactionary position you would expect from the least generous definition of a ‘woke warrior’

Really all these terms these days just tend to characterise a personality type: a self aggrandising , censorious , morally superior middle class student who is permanently outraged on the internet. It has very little to do with someone who is defined by being against racism or not.. I mean what year is it?!

27 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah, that’s the difference. Suggesting that not being ‘woke’ means you aren’t for racial equality or worse, are actually racist, is pretty much the sort of non thinking reactionary position you would expect from the least generous definition of a ‘woke warrior’

Really all these terms these days just tend to characterise a personality type: a self aggrandising , censorious , morally superior middle class student who is permanently outraged on the internet. It has very little to do with someone who is defined by being against racism or not.. I mean what year is it?!

I mean, thats clearly the way YOU characterise the term sjw or "woke warrior" (havent heard that before, so thank you, i really like the term). But most  people that are not reactionary  dont view the term sjw the way, you and others like you view it.  I

And iternet outrage, censorship, middle class people?? Did you just read the anti sjw manual or something?  At least be more original with your "criticism". 

Just now, Conflicting Thought said:

I mean, thats clearly the way YOU characterise the term sjw or "woke warrior" (havent heard that before, so thank you, i really like the term). But most  people that are not reactionary  dont view the term sjw the way, you and others like you view it.  Internet outrage?? Maybe try harder? 

If you really think your definition is the correct one then that’s up to you, but for a lot of people it means something very different. I’d also say the definition I used above is one I recognise in quite a lot of people. 

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Yep, your far-right white-supremacist MAGA definition.

Yeah, thanks, it can be hard to illustrate the sort of self righteous outrage I was talking about.. but you’ve done a good job here. 

Your second point is just silly. Asking why I believe something I don’t. Not the first time I’ll note. Again a great illustration. You truly understand wokeness.

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

Do I seem outraged to you? You're not very perceptive, apparently.

It only takes a second to look on Twitter to see the kind of people you're aligning yourself with in your choice of definition. Or perhaps your social media of choice is Parler; you can check there too.

I mean this conversation started with Jonathan Pie.. is he a far right MAGA hat wearing racist? 

Scotland with no deaths and 5 new cases today is impressive.

Curious what they have planned for Leicester. It has been a little disheartening to see a lack of masks in indoor places over here.

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I mean this conversation started with Jonathan Pie.. is he a far right MAGA hat wearing racist? 

No, he's just in the Ricky Gervais camp of sticking up for free speech by being as obnoxious as possible. (Which, for both of them, is obnoxious indeed.)

He is apparently pro-transphobia though,

But that wasn't what I said anyway. And aren't you normally quick to criticise those that misrepresent what you say? I didn't say that anyone using that definition is an anti-mask-wearing WLM clownshoe, I said that in choosing to use the phrases in that way, people are aligning themselves with that sort. Not the same thing at all.

14 minutes ago, Raja said:

Scotland with no deaths and 5 new cases today is impressive.

No deaths recorded for 4 days now, which is also impressive. It does feel like Scotland and Northern Ireland might be bringing the virus under control, unfortunately we can't say the same yet about England or Wales even if the UK 7 days average of cases has fallen below 1000 for the first time since March.

Archived