Video Games: Mystery Box Character Creation

Jace, Extat

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, it's such a massive improvement over my old Blu-ray player, so it was well worth it, but I was under the impression that the 5 was just an idea that was many years away off when I bought it.

If you don't use it for gaming, and if you're happy with 4, then why do you care? It won't self-destruct the moment 5 is released.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Eh, it's such a massive improvement over my old Blu-ray player, so it was well worth it, but I was under the impression that the 5 was just an idea that was many years away off when I bought it.

Unless there are games that you really want to play that are being released on the PS5, it makes no sense for you as someone who 'barely games' to get a release day console with an absolutely tiny library of games compared to all the great stuff out on the PS4.  This goes for almost every new release of consoles.  Wait until there are a few games you really need to play and get it then, which will likely be after the first price drop.  

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

But have games really gone up in price?  I remember buying NES games (well... grandma bought them, but you get the idea) for $50.  Most new releases today are still $50 or at most $59.

Yes theres DLC and the entire “games as a service” mentality, but the base price of games really hasn’t changed in 30 years.

I remember a few exceptions, Phantasty Star IV was $100, but most have stuck to it.

I remember buying SNES games when I was 13 for $99 bucks so for me games have gotten cheaper in the 30 years since.

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

But have games really gone up in price?  I remember buying NES games (well... grandma bought them, but you get the idea) for $50.  Most new releases today are still $50 or at most $59.

Yes theres DLC and the entire “games as a service” mentality, but the base price of games really hasn’t changed in 30 years.

I remember a few exceptions, Phantasty Star IV was $100, but most have stuck to it.

In the UK Amiga and PC game prices stabilised around £29.99 in 1989. You had outliers after that - Monkey Island 2 launched at £37.99 in 1992 - but that was the basic price for brand new PC games until around 2010. Since then, there's been moderate increases until we reached the present price of around £55 about a year or so ago, bringing PC games to parity with console.

Console games have been more expensive for longer - I remember Street Fighter II launching at around £50 at the end of 1992 - but that was a bit of an outlier. Console games have been around £10-£15 more expensive compared to their PC version almost ever since until very recently. If the prices are going to jump another £15 to keep pace with new console releases, that'd be a more than 100% price increase for PC games in a decade.

10 hours ago, Werthead said:

In the UK Amiga and PC game prices stabilised around £29.99 in 1989. You had outliers after that - Monkey Island 2 launched at £37.99 in 1992 - but that was the basic price for brand new PC games until around 2010. Since then, there's been moderate increases until we reached the present price of around £55 about a year or so ago, bringing PC games to parity with console.

Console games have been more expensive for longer - I remember Street Fighter II launching at around £50 at the end of 1992 - but that was a bit of an outlier. Console games have been around £10-£15 more expensive compared to their PC version almost ever since until very recently. If the prices are going to jump another £15 to keep pace with new console releases, that'd be a more than 100% price increase for PC games in a decade.

According to the Bank of England site, £29.99 in 1989 equals to around £75 in today's money.

48 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Okay that’s nice and all... but all I got from that is the game isn’t coming out anytime soon.

Yeah, I can't believe it's been seven years since Inquisition and the game is still in early production.

I hope this is good... I liked Inquisition a lot more than many did, and it's always been my favourite Bioware series. Fingers crossed they've learned something from Andromeda and Anthem.

9 hours ago, Gorn said:

According to the Bank of England site, £29.99 in 1989 equals to around £75 in today's money.

Yup, and if they'd raised prices fairly constantly through that time to £69 today, that would be fairly logical. In the past I've pointed out that the mounting costs of AAA video game development whilst shelf prices were staying static was storing up a lot of problems for later on, which we then saw with loot boxes, Day One DLC and other stuff that was being done to try to mitigate the cost of keeping the initial costs down to generate better first day sales.

It's the more-than-doubling of prices in a decade that's the problem, which they could have avoided by not keeping prices static for the twenty years preceding.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Okay that’s nice and all... but all I got from that is the game isn’t coming out anytime soon.

REPRESENTS IN GAME DEVELOPMENT 

Translation: We haven't begun making the game, here's some concept art that wouldn't make a deviant art feature page.

1 hour ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I am one of those people who liked Andromeda, I thought it was fun if a bit pedestrian.  I think it was more a victim of negative hype than anything else.

I think it was a victim of not being finished when they released it.

2 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I am one of those people who liked Andromeda, I thought it was fun if a bit pedestrian.  I think it was more a victim of negative hype than anything else.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I think it was a victim of not being finished when they released it.

I can agree with both.  I’ve heard some call it “Inquisition in space.”  Conceptually I get it, but the gameplay in Andromeda was actually fun.  Nothing about DA:I was enjoyable to me.  It dropped all the best parts of Origins and DA2 and just left you with a hollow feeling action RPG.

Has anyone tried that Blair Witch game that came out in the last year or so? I see it's coming out for switch.  I played a bit of it on gamepass when it came out and while I like the idea of getting the shit scared out of me in some virtual woods I could not make any progress. I just got lost in the woods and could not figure out where the game wanted me to go and it got really frustrating. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Has anyone tried that Blair Witch game that came out in the last year or so? I see it's coming out for switch.  I played a bit of it on gamepass when it came out and while I like the idea of getting the shit scared out of me in some virtual woods I could not make any progress. I just got lost in the woods and could not figure out where the game wanted me to go and it got really frustrating. 

Sounds just like the movie to me.  :lol: 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, Gorn said:

If you don't use it for gaming, and if you're happy with 4, then why do you care? It won't self-destruct the moment 5 is released.

But what if I want to be posh and trendy!?!?!?!?

On 8/27/2020 at 10:18 AM, aceluby said:

Unless there are games that you really want to play that are being released on the PS5, it makes no sense for you as someone who 'barely games' to get a release day console with an absolutely tiny library of games compared to all the great stuff out on the PS4.  This goes for almost every new release of consoles.  Wait until there are a few games you really need to play and get it then, which will likely be after the first price drop.  

Funny, the only reason I bought the PS4 is because I really wanted to play RDR2. And I was somewhat joking about getting it right away. I just got the impression when I bought it that the 5 was still a long ways away, but things can move quickly in the tech sector. 

8 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

I agree. It's a fun game with cool exploration weighed down by busywork and pretty boring writing. And way too many loading screens. I remember that even the good companion quests would force you to hop between three different planets for no reason.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I agree. It's a fun game with cool exploration weighed down by busywork and pretty boring writing. And way too many loading screens. I remember that even the good companion quests would force you to hop between three different planets for no reason.

That was kind of my experience.  I would have played another entry of it.  

And yes, to an early post, I did get it a little later, so I probably benefited from a patch, but not that much later.  

As a complete PC basic gamer I have what is likely a stupid question.

I have one of those 1TB storage drives that connects with a USB. It’s basically a giant thumb drive and I use it to back up pictures and documents and such.

Is it possible to use it as a hard drive and run a game from it?

8 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

pretty boring writing

Agreed the writing could have been better. 

Still, I love Andromeda and really enjoy playing it.  This post makes me want to load it up.

Archived