US Politics: Biden our time while Trump's on the stump

Ormond

13 minutes ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

No one's come knocking yet (lived here over a decade) I had to beg for one in 2012 at the kalamazoo Democratic party HQs. Didn't bother getting a Clinton one i9n 2016.

Well Michigan's not like an important state or anything.  And it's not like Dem operatives didn't endlessly boast about their superior organizing abilities in 2016.  Oh wait...

Biden is only now hiring key staff in swing states. He just hired a Jewish outreach head in July.  There is no Indian-Americans for Biden organization out there.  None of this may matter:  the ongoing implosion of the Trump presidency by every imaginable metric may put Biden in the WH anyway.  But it would be nice if someone on his team had their shit together. 

29 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

t would be nice if someone on his team had their shit together.

Particularly for voter registration and for the elections themselves.  Particularly the voting by mail element.

I too saw that piece saying the Dems are behind in voter registration.

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

There is no Indian-Americans for Biden organization out there.  

Why would there be? Which state has more tribal Americans than black or Hispanic ones? Don't confuse social awakening with political achievement,. If you've been watching closely the last five years you may have noticed that the former lacks any real power in this country. The latter irrelevant for want of a political system that functions well enough to achieve anything.

2 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

In other news I ordered my Biden sign. Those things are expensive. Hopefully the Biden campaign is making a nice profit.

Just got back from a week in my wife's hometown in Ohio.  Not sure it's big enough to qualify as a small city, but it's suburban in size without being a suburb.  

I only saw a couple Biden signs, and far too many Trump flags...along with a smattering of Confederate Battle Flags.  Including one senior citizen standing on a bust street corner in full MAGA gear waving one of those flags at 5pm on a Friday afternoon...

It occurs that those damned Trump/Pence flags aren't going to go away when (if) he loses in November.  They're going to be the new iteration of the Confederate flag in the coming years...

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Why would there be? Which state has more tribal Americans than black or Hispanic ones? Don't confuse social awakening with political achievement,. If you've been watching closely the last five years you may have noticed that the former lacks any real power in this country. The latter irrelevant for want of a political system that functions well enough to achieve anything.

You know, I immediately interpreted that statement as referring to an organization for Americans with ancestry from India, NOT Native Americans. 

But if Native Americans were what was meant, there are in fact a few states that have a higher percentage of Native American residents than African-American or Hispanic -- Alaska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Montana.

1 minute ago, Ormond said:

You know, I immediately interpreted that statement as referring to an organization for Americans with ancestry from India, NOT Native Americans. 

But if Native Americans were what was meant, there are in fact a few states that have a higher percentage of Native American residents than African-American or Hispanic -- Alaska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Montana.

Bark of laughter.

28 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Just got back from a week in my wife's hometown in Ohio.  Not sure it's big enough to qualify as a small city, but it's suburban in size without being a suburb.  

I only saw a couple Biden signs, and far too many Trump flags...along with a smattering of Confederate Battle Flags.  Including one senior citizen standing on a bust street corner in full MAGA gear waving one of those flags at 5pm on a Friday afternoon...

It occurs that those damned Trump/Pence flags aren't going to go away when (if) he loses in November.  They're going to be the new iteration of the Confederate flag in the coming years...

I'm from Ohio and think you're exactly right.

I'm worried that the Democrats won't think past the noses on their faces and will contribute to turning Trump into a political martyr which will be doing part of Newsmax's and OANN's jobs for them. Getting Trump out of office isn't a win, it's just a change in battlefield.  

51 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Bark of laughter.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion.  Indian-Americans are those of Indian ancestry who live in America (like me).  American-Indians are native Americans. 

They have become a significant political force through fundraisers and in states like TX, VA and FL. Trump has worked hard to get them onside through things like the Howdy Modi rally in Texas and through his visit to India in January.  Biden's reputation in the community is mostly for making off-color jokes. 

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

You have to pay for signs? Up here (Canada) people knock on your door and beg you to allow one on your lawn!

It was I think 2008 or 2012 when it became Democratic party wisdom that lawn signs don't change voter preferences or motivate voters enough, so they aren't worth investing in. As such, they've generally become harder to find than they used to be and rarer than Republican signs. At least for national races; local races still rely on signs even for name recognition.

1 hour ago, Lollygag said:

I'm from Ohio and think you're exactly right.

I'm worried that the Democrats won't think past the noses on their faces and will contribute to turning Trump into a political martyr which will be doing part of Newsmax's and OANN's jobs for them. Getting Trump out of office isn't a win, it's just a change in battlefield.  

Getting Trump out will be a huge win no matter what, but the bigger the defeat the better.  If Trump narrowly loses I think it’ll be an ongoing issue, but if he gets totally stomped I don’t think it’ll take too long before the people with money are pretending like they never even heard of the guy.

24 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

McGrath isn't much of an improvement--she still veers way too far to the right. The one benefit is that Mitch will be gone, and that's a big deal I suppose.

Anyone who's not McConnell is an improvement on McConnell.

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Saw some article today saying so far that rents in places like NYC haven't really budged yet.  Will sure be curious how that changes.

I have been eagerly watching this.  Not for NYC, just in general.  My wife and I are ready to buy a place pretty soon.  Is it wrong to wish for an epic crash?

Housing prices are fucking outrageous in so many places.  A good friend of mine got married a lot earlier than most of the rest of our friend group and bought a nice but fairly basic townhouse about 10 years ago.  That same house is worth like 40% more today than it was when they bought it. Other than being located in the suburbs of a major metropolitan area, the house itself ain’t fucking worth the money it’s supposedly worth.  It’s just not. My friend and I have very similar careers and career trajectories and the truth is that he could buy this house with less money and being less advanced in his career 10 years ago than we can afford now at a more advanced position salary wise.  This house has somehow jumped multiple rungs of socio-economic status in a decade.  Wages have not even remotely gone up in proportion to compensate for the increase in property values and I’m concerned that the values across the board are simply bullshit.  And I wonder if Covid could be the thing to expose it, particularly if a certain amount of people go remote permanently and just leave the cities and suburbs behind.  Which is exactly what I would do if I could.

Point is, I want to buy, but I don’t want to be caught buying high when a major reality check might be around the corner.

1 hour ago, S John said:

I have been eagerly watching this.  Not for NYC, just in general.  My wife and I are ready to buy a place pretty soon.  Is it wrong to wish for an epic crash?

Housing prices are fucking outrageous in so many places.  A good friend of mine got married a lot earlier than most of the rest of our friend group and bought a nice but fairly basic townhouse about 10 years ago.  That same house is worth like 40% more today than it was when they bought it. 

That doesn't sound like much more than inflation, my flat in London doubled in value in 7 years. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

That doesn't sound like much more than inflation, my flat in London doubled in value in 7 years. 

Yeah, 40% in 10 years is 3.5% per year compounded, so not spectacular as far as property appreciation goes. There are some suburbs here in Sydney that have grown by 10% per year for a long time.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've joked with some friends (and here once or twice) that a lot of women look like hot bandits with masks on.

Trump public wore a mask yesterday and he looks exactly as you'd expect: Immortan Joe cosplayer. 

What? You weren’t impressed with the Presidential Seal on the mask?

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

You fiend. 

It does sure seem like it's got to get wild as there are more evictions, but I also wonder if it will be really different from one city to the next with maybe orders passed certain places to put things on hold.  No idea about the housing market.

Switching gears to Biden:  if he wins it occurs to me thar he's going to face pressure on 2 big procedural types of moves.  Whether to end the filibuster and whether to pack the courts.  Could be a disappointing thing to the left if he doesn't, but he wants to be the back to normal guy too which these moves would sure not be.

These moves are not going to happen anytime soon. SC Court packing might have happened, but Roberts just defused it for now by siding with the left enough in major decisions. There won't be much pressure for it until the SC does something really horrible again, like a major assault on Roe v Wade, destroying the ACA, or a Citizens United type monster decision.

As for the legislative filibuster, we are no where near that happening as the votes are just not there. There's no pressure on Biden since it is Democratic party senators blocking it. Including Bernie Sanders. It's not going to happen in 10 years, much like anytime soon. 

Archived