Sign in to follow this  
BigFatCoward

Today is a good day!

46 minutes ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I got my old wallet out of the closet yesterday.  Was surprised to discover that it still had 60 USD in it.  Also, I got an unexpected bonus from work of 200 USD. So, first round at the next Council Meeting is on me.  :cheers:

YOU HAVE NO AUTHORITY HERE!

today is a good day because I was able to sell some of my holidays at work that i didn’t want to take which will be rolled into my pay. This was company policy last year, then for COVID related reasons we weren’t allowed to sell, and now the policy changed back.

1st dose of Moderna covid shot complete. They shot us around the shoulder. There were two people giving the shots so two of us went in the room at once and the line moved pretty fast. It just felt like a pin prick to me. We sat in an "observation" room for 15 minutes afterwards to make sure we didn't have an allergic reaction. I had the shot about 3 hours ago and haven't really noticed any sort of side effect so far, besides a little bit of arm pain at moments.

I had my first dose on Wednesday (AstraZeneca). Felt absolutely fine until about 6-7 hours later when all of my energy just disappeared.

I think Bill Gates must have been using me to mine bitcoins or something.

Anyway, today is a good day as I have zoom drinks with friends in a bit, and a nice bottle of gin to take care of.

15 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

I had my first dose on Wednesday (AstraZeneca). Felt absolutely fine until about 6-7 hours later when all of my energy just disappeared.

Anyway, today is a good day as I have zoom drinks with friends in a bit, and a nice bottle of gin to take care of.

Ugh, that's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid of losing time to side effects and falling behind on stuff...

8 minutes ago, Lizard Queen said:

Ugh, that's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid of losing time to side effects and falling behind on stuff...

It hasn't been too bad, really. I've still been working the last couple of days, it's just I've been wiped out in the evenings.

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It hasn't been too bad, really. I've still been working the last couple of days, it's just I've been wiped out in the evenings.

That's just from all the killer robot rampages

5 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

It's probably the human equivalent of when your computer will sit there for minutes while installing a Windows update.

Had the best walkies ever today! It all started with an unfortunate incident of a tiny white dog running out of a garden at the corner of a street. Slightly worried about what might transpire, I just held fast on the Chancellor’s collar and brought him to my feet. Marvelously no particular muscle work was necessary, only the firm grip and verbal warning that NO the tiny fur ball, a tenth of his size was not to be eaten. He stayed still without any barking or snarling, which made the little’s doggo’s attitude take a 180 degree turn on the last half meter. It (probably she, which helped the situation immensely) just approached him with open curiosity, they touched their noses together, the little white furball returned to its garden, and I firmly ushered the Chancellor around the corner. He got a treat, lots of praise and didn’t at all wish to return to the white doggo, so we walked on, leash loose again. Then, to celebrate this new level of goodboiness we took a small detour down to the crop fields where he was as good as an angel before we returned home. My heart swells with pride and joy. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Oh boy, whatever happened to my favorite ever thread? 

Today is a good day because 

I have a day off. 
I cooked a very nice chicken meal and I could both smell and taste it.
I went for a walk and enjoyed some sunlight. 
I started a very cool new audiobook. 
I’m stuffing myself with cinnamon rolls I made yesterday. 
And I have plans to reorganize my bookshelf later. 

And it’s worth to note that today feels like a good day in spite of tragic covid stats. I suppose one’s best chance is clinging to the little things. 

Not sure if this belongs here or in the covid thread... But our covid wastewater methods paper got accepted (with some pretty minor revisions) into a pretty great journal today (IF approx 6.5).

Not kidding ourselves that it's anything too ground breaking, but we're really happy to get this one across the line. Has taken near 6 months, with a good portion of that it sitting in review. Kinda thinking I should've pushed for first author (or maybe even joint first) on it given the amount of experimental work / analysis I put in, but our junior post-doc really needs the papers at this point in her career and she did the bulk of the writing. Hoping we can polish off the revisions inside the next week and make it all officially official.

Yesterday was a great day, but today was just a good day. Yesterday was awesome because an old high school friend talked to me. I felt some warmth! And my sister stopped by. 

Today I spent re-examining my life a little. Where I wanna go and who I wanna be. I think that I need to do that often. I am twenty-eight. I should start acting like it. I wonder whether I should use my tablet. I wonder if it is appropriate to go back to Mass. It’ll be amazing once the answers turn up.

My mum's back garden has remained untouched by human hands since The Beforetimes. As you'd expect, things were hellishly overgrown. 

Until today, when I brought forth the Four Horsemen of the Chopocalypse. Lawn mower, strimmer, heavy-duty hedge trimmer, and the big blowy sucky thing.

The weather was glorious, it felt so good to be working outside. And with the help of Marvin Gaye and Michael Kiwanuka, on shuffle in my cans, and a bowlful of weed that I grew myself, I had the finest time I can remember having for a long, long time.

Today was a good day. 

Today’s a good day because it’s Easter weekend and I’m doing little projects around the house and watching series and eating fruitcake and trying to relax.

Posted (edited)

5th wedding anniversary today!

Takeaway ordered for 2030 hours, expensive(ish) bottle of wine on standby.

Fingers crossed, two-year old daughter settles to sleep quickly.

Was amused to read the wine label assure me it will “age gracefully until 2040.”  This bottle will be breached by 2040 hours tonight, never mind the year 2040

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

19 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

5th wedding anniversary today!

Takeaway ordered for 2030 hours, expensive(ish) bottle of wine on standby.

Fingers crossed, two-year old daughter settles to sleep quickly.

Was amused to read the wine label assure me it will “age gracefully until 2040.”  This bottle will be breached by 2040 hours tonight, never mind the year 2040

Congratulations!

On 12/17/2020 at 4:50 AM, larrytheimp said:

Turns out I broke my elbow on Saturday, I've generally avoided the ER over the last 20 years but damn.  Just have to keep it in a sling unless the orthopedic says something else on friday.  Trying to stay positive about it, we're getting 18"+ of snow tonight and it's straight up powder and im very tempted to ski some stuff I've been eyeing for a couple years tomorrow.  We don't get these local conditions very often (every other year or so).  will probably compromise, be safe, and xc ski flat stuff with the dog.  

I went downhilling once with arm still in cast and once the day after slipping at the Jacuzzi edge and getting 16 scalp staples.

Do not get between me and my skiing:D

2nd shot in the books. I am somewhat confident I will be asymptomatic, as I was for the actual virus and the first shot. 

Feels good. Took my friend who is quite high risk, and he is absolutely delighted. Other than me,  he has hardly interacted with anyone for over a year. Can't wait to get him out the house to St Louis' top-notch zoo. 2 years ago I pushed his wheelchair around post-major stroke, now he will be able to get off the train for some good walks in the non-hilly parts. He's come a long way, and I can't wait to celebrate with some sea lions and prairie dogs.

Relatively new neighbors approached us a few weeks ago about possibly buying our backyard playset?  They have an 18 month old and, of course, our 15 and 13 year-olds aren't using it much anymore (they just sit on the swings sometimes these days).  We said sure because it saves them money and, of course, what are we gonna do with it?  So today we got it moved from our yard to their yard.  It was a large job but it went better than I anticipated.  We had it moved and reassembled in about 5 hours.  Their little guy (and any future children) will have a blast with it for years to come:)