Police: V doesn't necessarily stand for Victory

JGP

2 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

My white trans women friends would like to have a word.

Then they can read this:

5 hours ago, DMC said:

It definitionally does.  I'll admit I omitted the LGBTQIA+ community, but again, you're making a mountain out of not even a molehill.  I was just trying to demonstrate how to make the sentence succinct.  If you wanna include women, and the LGBTQIA+ community at the end, of course I agree, not like I was trying to publish that line as a thesis, just responding quickly to a post.  And I'm pretty sure you know all that.  Get off your soapbox.

13 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

LGBTQIA+ people, including me, would prefer that you get it right the first time. Stuff like your ill-considered first comment is what lets violent cops off the hook. Next time, do better.

I always get this "do better" thing around here.  Like my omission means I wasn't conscientious enough when replying a damned message board.  It's annoying and patronizing.  I wasn't making any comment about LGBTQIA+ people, all I did was suggest - with tongue firmly in cheek - that another post was too wordy in messaging.  Then Kal - excuse me, @Kalibear - and now you jump on me as if I made some grave error instead of, ya know, just people talking like adults.  If you want to just say "hey, you left out the LGBTQIA+ community," I'd respond "yeah of course, my bad."  But no, you have to make this a shame exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

Attempted murder by police in Kenosha, WI of a Black man (unarmed) who was attempting to break up a fight (while his kids were in the car, bearing witness).

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/us/kenosha-police-shooting.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

You know, I get the feeling that this might be a systemic issue. It seems to be more than a couple bad apples. Oh, and he was shot SEVEN times. In the back.

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm not watching the clip. Is it as bad as it sounds? 

Yeah, I've seen too many videos of our police committing wanton murder and destruction as well. All reports are that, yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

It is mind-blowing that police nationally remain unwilling to be part of the solution. Adopt civilian oversight, abolish QI, increase training requirements, ban 'warrior' training (take away guns from police who have taken or advocated for this training until they recertify), etc. down the list. It's pretty clear that the "defund the police" is not only a reaction to the criminality and systemic racism in police departments and also complete disregard to adopt any changes (even bullshit changes make them scream - i.e. Boston "removing" funds from the OT budget which is paid out NO MATTER what.)

The latter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/20/nyregion/nypd-ccrb-records-published.html

Shot:

Some 81,550 officers — from the rank-and-file to the current commissioner — were named in the complaints. Together they offer the public the broadest look to date at how officers are investigated and punished for a range of offenses, from using profanity and slurs to beating or choking people during arrests.

The civil liberties union noted that less than 3 percent of the 323,911 complaints resulted in a penalty for officers, 12 of whom had been terminated.

Al Baker, a police spokesman, said the department had refined the discipline system and implemented changes recommended by a panel of prosecutors and judges. “All of this advances the NYPD’s priority to make its internal disciplinary system as fair, effective, and transparent as it can,” he said.

Chaser:

But that might become even more difficult for the review board, which is preparing to possibly lay off staff because of budget cuts brought on by the coronavirus pandemic. The Independent Budget Office recently said the review board, which has a $20 million budget and 200-person staff, was too small to oversee the police department, which has a $6 billion budget and 36,000 officers.

12/81,155 = 0.015% for those following along. I wouldn't expect 50% or even 10% necessarily fired - impossible to know the appropriate number ... Other than 0.015% is a fucking joke.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Yeah, I've seen too many videos of our police committing wanton murder and destruction as well. All reports are that, yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

It is mind-blowing that police nationally remain unwilling to be part of the solution. Adopt civilian oversight, abolish QI, increase training requirements, ban 'warrior' training (take away guns from police who have taken or advocated for this training until they recertify), etc. down the list. It's pretty clear that the "defund the police" is not only a reaction to the criminality and systemic racism in police departments and also complete disregard to adopt any changes (even bullshit changes make them scream - i.e. Boston "removing" funds from the OT budget which is paid out NO MATTER what.)

I’ve linked the story several times before, but there was a lawsuit in I believe 2008 that revealed nationwide that police forces actively hire the most average candidates they get. They intentionally weed out the more qualified candidates.

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve linked the story several times before, but there was a lawsuit in I believe 2008 that revealed nationwide that police forces actively hire the most average candidates they get. They intentionally weed out the more qualified candidates.

This is true and a problem - still there is less training for a LEO than hair dresser. Some of the training (e.g. warrior training) that is either ineffective or actively training police to treat civilians as the enemy to be feared, controlled, and dominated.

52 minutes ago, Week said:

This is true and a problem - still there is less training for a LEO than hair dresser. Some of the training (e.g. warrior training) that is either ineffective or actively training police to treat civilians as the enemy to be feared, controlled, and dominated.

Playin' it like movie-cop style:

A police driving maneuver used to end chases has killed 30 people since 2016. Many departments refuse to use the tactic because of the risks.

"Deadly force behind the wheel"

Special Report

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/investigations/pit-maneuver-police-deaths/?

[....]
The total number of people who have been killed or injured as a result of the maneuver is unknown because the nation’s more than 18,000 police departments are not required by the federal government to keep track.

The death on May 25 of George Floyd under the knee of a Minneapolis police officer has led to renewed public scrutiny of violent police tactics, including shootings, stun guns and chokeholds. But the PIT maneuver — also a potentially deadly use of force by police — has not received the same attention, despite its risk and widespread adoption by departments nationwide.
[....]

1 hour ago, Week said:

I can’t remember if I saw it here or somewhere else, but it was jarring to see a chart of how much training EU countries require to become a police office compared to the U.S.

This obviously isn't in the same league as Wisconsin cops aiding and abetting right wing militias who killed people (just like Portland police showing professional courtesy to the Proud Boys) but it's good evidence of boldfaced cop lying, even at the expense of a wealthy and connected black man.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/extended-video-deputy-is-polite-to-fans-before-shoving-toronto-raptors-president-twice-in-chest

This is from an incident last year, but now we have the lying-ass officer's own bodycam evidence to show he's a lying-ass sack of shit. He politely redirected several groups of fans going the wrong way, but a black man in a suit holding up his credentials to get on court with the team he runs, gets met with a shove. Then this piece of shit lying cop, who already had a fraud conviction in his past, claims that Ujiri shoved him to the ground and caused him physical injuries and trauma. The guff on this lying pig.

Even after this damning video came out, the Alameda County Sheriff's office is doubling down and standing by the convicted fraud artist they hired and put in charge of people's lives.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This obviously isn't in the same league as Wisconsin cops aiding and abetting right wing militias who killed people (just like Portland police showing professional courtesy to the Proud Boys) but it's good evidence of boldfaced cop lying, even at the expense of a wealthy and connected black man.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/extended-video-deputy-is-polite-to-fans-before-shoving-toronto-raptors-president-twice-in-chest

This is from an incident last year, but now we have the lying-ass officer's own bodycam evidence to show he's a lying-ass sack of shit. He politely redirected several groups of fans going the wrong way, but a black man in a suit holding up his credentials to get on court with the team he runs, gets met with a shove. Then this piece of shit lying cop, who already had a fraud conviction in his past, claims that Ujiri shoved him to the ground and caused him physical injuries and trauma. The guff on this lying pig.

Even after this damning video came out, the Alameda County Sheriff's office is doubling down and standing by the convicted fraud artist they hired and put in charge of people's lives.

This is an excellent example of something I mentioned in an earlier thread. Cops get to control the narrative, they say what happened and the media just goes with it. Then months, or in this case a year, later the actual evidence is released. The difference between this and other examples, is the victim is well connected enough that it's news enough to get some actual attention. Whereas in most case only the initial report gets attention, and the follow up doesn't so everyone keeps assuming the initial report was correct. (Though obviously as we've seen plenty of people will ignore even explicit evidence if it goes against what they want to believe)

Cops continuing to side with the right wing militia, just straight up victim blaming.

You know it's funny (in that not actually funny at all kind of way) the 17 year old murderer was described as trying to "resolve a conflict" so was Jacob Blake, but Blake was trying to do so without killing anyone, and ended up shot for it. This 17 year old killed two people and wounded a third, and the cops are covering for him. Wonder what the difference could be?

Archived