Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action show on Netflix (now sans its creators).

Werthead

9 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Why’d you think Hollywood is afraid of putting any kind of sex or romance in modern day blockbusters anymore ? They could’ve done something great with Rey and Finn for example, but instead everyone is so sexless in those new Star Wars films it baffles my mind cause real life dosent work like that, and romance has always been a strong part of them and space opera in general.  I hope Netflix dosent screw up this part in Avatar. That’s what separates it from other cartoons cause the characters feel and behave realistically like growing adults. 

:lol:

I'm already exhausted by my own generation. Pretty soon people will be inspecting each other's hands, to confirm that calluses meet the required quantity and firmness to demonstrate that pearls have been clutched with adequate frequency and sufficient grip strength.

Edited by IFR

12 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Why’d you think Hollywood is afraid of putting any kind of sex or romance in modern day blockbusters anymore ? They could’ve done something great with Rey and Finn for example, but instead everyone is so sexless in those new Star Wars films it baffles my mind cause real life dosent work like that, and romance has always been a strong part of them and space opera in general.  I hope Netflix dosent screw up this part in Avatar. That’s what separates it from other cartoons cause the characters feel and behave realistically like growing adults. 

I hate that I’m actually agreeing with you, though I was rooting for Rey and Poe. I mean, we did technically get a little romance towards the end with a very stupid and out of place kiss.

• 2 weeks later...

https://variety.com/2024/tv/reviews/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-review-netflix-1235914237/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/avatar-the-last-airbender-review-netflix-1235829956/

Receptions been mostly mixed with the general consensus being the acting, especially for the dramatic, genocidal bits, simply isn’t that strong. 

Disappointing , but I’ll still be watching it on Friday, atleast giving this season a try !

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/reviews/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-review-netflix-1235914237/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-reviews/avatar-the-last-airbender-review-netflix-1235829956/

Receptions been mostly mixed with the general consensus being the acting, especially for the dramatic, genocidal bits, simply isn’t that strong. 

Disappointing , but I’ll still be watching it on Friday, atleast giving this season a try !

The majority of the cast is played by child actors. As I said weeks ago, the acting would always be the most difficult hurdle.

Edited by sifth

26 minutes ago, sifth said:

The majority of the cast is played by child actors. As I said weeks ago, the acting would always be the most difficult hurdle.

GoT and HP didn’t really suffer from this. You CAN get good child actors, especially ones in the range of 12-18. In any case I’ll reserve judgement after actually watching the show.

Only watched Ep 1 so far. I'm not sure GoT or HP are good examples of child actors doing good. When I watch HP1 now Radcliff and Emma Watson were really not good. Rupert Grint was all right. For GoT the adults did the heavy lifting while the children did what they needed to do until they got better with experience and growing up a bit.

It's 1 billion times better than that Shyamalan turd, so it's getting a thumbs up from me.

The one bending criticism I have is Aang basically being able to fly (or at least fall with style) without his glider thing in the opening scene, but then seeming to tubmle to his doom in the last scene desperately trying to catch his glider. They didn't need to have the opening scene play out that way and it would have made the final falling scene of ep 1 better. But a pretty minor point.

Saw the first episode, before work. This is no One Piece Live action. Some great visuals and costumes, but the acting is very stiff; which is understandable for the younger cast. Though the actor who plays Sokka is easily the worst in my book and hurts my head, whenever he opens his mouth. At least it's not the M Night film though and firebenders no longer need heat sources to burn stuff; such a lame power, lol

1 hour ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

GoT and HP didn’t really suffer from this. You CAN get good child actors, especially ones in the range of 12-18. In any case I’ll reserve judgement after actually watching the show.

Really? I thought the kids were pretty horrible in the early seasons of Thrones; Joffrey’s actor being the only exception. The kids playing Bran and Sansa just couldn’t emote and felt like wax dolls at times. They got better over time though.

28 minutes ago, sifth said:

Really? I thought the kids were pretty horrible in the early seasons of Thrones; Joffrey’s actor being the only exception. The kids playing Bran and Sansa just couldn’t emote and felt like wax dolls at times. They got better over time though.

Absolutely, child actors are notoriously awful and it's actually really rare for them not to be wooden/boring/annoying. GoT's actors definitely improved as the show went on, but they were not great at the start.

Harry Potter is similar, the main trio were pretty much dreadful, outside of Ron being occasionally funny, and it was only really towards the end as they got older that they seemed to relax into the role. 

31 minutes ago, sifth said:

I really liked all the kids except Joffreys siblings whom they eventually replaced anyways 

Only seen the first episode so far but it's mostly fine. The pacing felt a bit off, and I'm not sure if we need that long prologue bit (at least it's not Halo where its going to be Season 3 before they get to the bit where the games actually start), but it was mostly fine. The actors were mostly decent (Katara grew on me a lot, and Aang and Zuko I think mostly nailed it), and I like they gave Iroh and Aang a moment together. In the animated show it was always a bit odd how fast everyone was to trust Iroh despite them not really knowing him. We knew he was a good 'un, but the characters didn't.

Some of the standard "clearly filmed in the Volume" CG BS, but to fair I have no idea how they could have done those antarctic scenes otherwise. Hopefully we're not going to have tons of scenes later on that could have been filmed in a real forest but they do it on the Volume anyway, and it looks naff.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I thought the kids were pretty horrible in the early seasons of Thrones; Joffrey’s actor being the only exception.

C'mon, Maisie Williams fucking nailed it. 

I also thought Emma Watson was fine in the early HP movies. Not revelatory or anything but she could act- the other two couldn't, really.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

C'mon, Maisie Williams fucking nailed it. 

I also thought Emma Watson was fine in the early HP movies. Not revelatory or anything but she could act- the other two couldn't, really.

I’ve never been a fan of Williams; though I admit she was the best of the Stark children.

Just watched the first episode and it was a disappointment Actually it confirmed my fears. This is not Avatar The Last Airbender. This is Shyamalan, but competently executed. It has very nice visual, but it lacks the soul of the original save for Zuko and Iroh who are the bright spots in this misery. There is none of the fun and energy of the original, it's a generic action fantasy show.

I don't blame them for the child acting, but I do blame for Gyatso and Sokka, the former who is almost unrecognizable

Spoiler

Gyatso in the original wanted Aang to have a normal childhood because it was the right thing to do. Here he thinks Aang is not mature enough. His reveal to Aang was awkward and lacking in tact. No wonder Aang runs away almost immediately

the latter is just a dull asshole

Spoiler

He seriously wants to leave Aang behind to freeze to death. There is little of the delightful sibling banter with Katara.

One significant scene that was missing was the penguin and the exploration of the wrecked Fire Nation vessel. As a result Katara don't really bond all that much

Spoiler

It's not her who brings Aang out of the Avatar Air Temple. Actually thanks to Gran Gran's spoilers, we missed out on so much.

I did not feel like the scenes before the comet contribute anything meaningful. I found the original's way far superior.

Spoiler

There is the insane coincidence of the Fire Nation attack occurring only minutes after Aang runs away and AT NIGHT

Lastly (and least) it's a bit weird that Kyoshi, gets to narrate the "Water, Earth, Fire, Air" with a brief appearance and not Roku, who matters far more for the story.

So far the show has not convinced me that it needed to exist.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername