Lovecraft Country

JGP

Well that was very good, and ended pretty much where I expected that it would, but definitely not how I thought it would.

Maybe I missed it in the book, but they really made Dell's talk about there not being grizzlies in the woods just black bears heavily laced with racism.  She did say that the black bears weren't smart smart in the book too, so I guess it was probably intended to be racist there as well.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

have never seen such pacing for an HBO show. What the hell is the rest of the season going to throw at us?

That's how it felt while reading the book too.

More book to show changes:

Christina was Caleb in the book.  Hopefully they do something interesting that gender change - likely they will with the limiting of women in the group's dinner (Letitia attended that in the book).

Atticus and Montrose have the last name Turner (not Freeman), while George's is Berry.  George's father died when he was 3, and Montrose's was married to George's mother later.

Montrose was shot while they were trying to escape not Letitia and George.  His wound was healed magically, but he still was in pain as if he was still wounded. 

That pain went away when Samuel died, and I think that will be the same thing that saves George.

The manor house is not destroyed in the book (it was by Titus Braithwhite in the 20s while he tried to perform a similar ritual/summoning).

Samuel used magic during the ritual to control what Atticus could do, even granting him the ability to read the language of Adam.  Caleb had given him a sheet of paper (through William), not a ring, that had three words of Adam on it and Atticus read it partway through the ritual instead of what Samuel was forcing him to recite which disrupted the ritual and killed all of the members of the Order of the Ancient Dawn.  Caleb then lets them leave because he had planned the rest of their deaths from the beginning. 

Atticus read through the bylaws of the Order, and gave the speech about the belief that he was the only living heir to Titus Braithwhite.  Maybe they are really killing of George and they wanted to send him off with more to do in this episode. 

As they approach the bridge trying to get away an impenetrable darkness eats up all of the light from their headlights and the car stalls, not a forcefield in their way.

There's no cow birthing a shoggoth scene.

I thought the second episode was markedly weaker. The CGI was dreadful and many of the emotional beats fell flat. It was also weirdly nonthreatening after that first great episode. Seems like hillbillies with shotguns are more terrifying than magic cults bent on human sacrifice. 

The music for this series is terrific, whatever else may not be up to that element's level.  What a scene in the first episode of the two sisters on stage together.  Holy cow!  Not only was it pitch perfect staging, but it sounded pitch perfect too.

Perry Mason did a great job with the music too.

Between this and Watchman it seems that horror-fantasy is the only way popular culture is finding to deal with what's going on for African Americans, now or in the past.

Episode 3 was much better than 2.  But wow, are they changing a lot of stuff from the book.  Can't believe they actually killed uncle George.  For some reason they split Hiram Winthrop into two characters/ghosts.  None of the ghosts that made full appearances in this episode were in the book

I'm assuming the elevator movement, lights turning on, and killing of the three white boys was the Winthrop ghost after the exorcism of Epstein - but honestly they're veering off so dramatically that who knows at this point.

Feels like each of the last two episodes should have been 10-15 minutes longer.

On 8/31/2020 at 3:06 PM, Corvinus85 said:

I enjoyed the episode, mostly, but it turned from horror to dark comedy for me at one point. I also spent most of it thinking that maybe they're doing a weird anthology format, until the end when stuff was explained.

Let me guess 

Spoiler

baby head man

the effects in this show are dreadful. I hope @Nictarion is wrong, but signs indeed point to this series having peaked in episode 1

Just now, Veltigar said:

Let me guess 

Hide contents

baby head man

the effects in this show are dreadful. I hope @Nictarion is wrong, but signs indeed point to this series having peaked in episode 1

No, it was actually

Spoiler

the giant ghost head coming out of the pictures. And even the banging trapdoor made me think of The Evil Dead. 

I disagree with you on the visuals. They're not that dreadful, you've been indulged too much by recent shows. :P

While I liked episode 3 a bit more than 2, I'm still struggling with this a bit. This feels more standard horror schlock than Lovecraft inspired (yes I know, Lovecraft produced some/a lot of schlock as well). There's potential for something interesting here, Lovecraftian horror through the eyes of people who aren't racist, New England WASP professors, but it's not being realized here yet for me. And yes, the CGI is incredibly bad sometimes.

I'll give episode 4 a shot, but if it doesn't start improving, I might drop this.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:28 PM, Corvinus85 said:

No, it was actually

Hide contents

the giant ghost head coming out of the pictures. And even the banging trapdoor made me think of The Evil Dead. 

I disagree with you on the visuals. They're not that dreadful, you've been indulged too much by recent shows. :P

I'm not even watching that much tv anymore :crying: This is worse than the BBC show Adventures of Merlin back in 2008. Why didn't they just go for practical effects as much as possible? Fucking 

baby head man killed all the tension for me, but the big head bopping out of those photo's like it's in the video clip of Hot Chip's I feel better (without cancer jesus) was also pretty bad.

Archived