US Politics: Locking Up the Vote!

Fragile Bird

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I just saw this.  Trust to Gothamist to get to the root of all matters NYC based.  Or at least as far as it can be got at, at this time, it seems.  

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epdgm4/new-yorker-suspends-jeffrey-toobin-for-zoom-dick-incident

I still cannot figure out what exactly would get him so aroused during a zoom meeting.

6 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I still cannot figure out what exactly would get him so aroused during a zoom meeting.

T'was an an election simulation featuring New Yorker all-stars. simulation!  If anyone could understand that surely the commentators on this thread can! :rofl:

8 minutes ago, maarsen said:

WHOMST AMONG US HAS NOT NEEDED TO JERK IT WHILE SIMULATING AN ELECTION

ELECTION AND ERECTION ARE TOO CLOSE TO EACH OTHER

39 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@Castellan - showering in the morning vs evening and wearing yoga pants vs a suit is a far cry from jacking off during a meeting.

I have, at times*, rolled out of bed, put on some deodorant and a dress, put my hair in a bun, and gone to work (*during a particularly wretched filing season when I caught mono), and showered when I came home.

I have also worn yoga pants and a long sweater to the office. Not unusual for a casual office environment.

Sure, some TV host might be appalled at both of those things, but imo, save the disapproval for jacking off in a meeting.

You know, the guy who tweeted “he was jacking off” doesn’t know shit, he was just being rude, or, as the Trump campaign likes to say, “he was just having some light-hearted fun”.  Toobin himself said he was mortified and thought he was not visible. He probably had a shirt on for the interview. Lots of people got caught with just underwear on, maybe his boys were just enjoying some freedom? :ph34r:

What a way to ruin your career.

eta: and I gather he was doing a radio interview, not a tv interview, who saw him? The interviewer?

eta2: ok, ok, I read the link above. “Men”

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

@Castellan - showering in the morning vs evening and wearing yoga pants vs a suit is a far cry from jacking off during a meeting.

well yes. but presumably its a slippery slope for committed jack-offing men. and meetings are very boring. At times I have consciously absented my mind and compiled supermarket shopping lists.

I was more appalled to hear the audio was on. For some reason I would find that more off putting.

Why all the pity for Toobin??? Sure it was a mistake, but each of us could make a mistake that would get us shitcanned so why not him?

Edit to add- with the mass unemployment going on in the service industry you have no idea how tiny a violin I need for Toobin getting suspended from one of his multiple lucrative jobs for making colleagues see him masturbating- accidentally or not.

5 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Why all the pity for Toobin??? Sure it was a mistake, but each of us could make a mistake that would get us shitcanned so why not him?

Well its sounds a bit like I have suffered so now I am going to throw stones at someone in the stocks in the village square.

I don't even know who Tobin is, by the way. 

3 minutes ago, Castellan said:

Well its sounds a bit like I have suffered so now I am going to throw stones at someone in the stocks in the village square.

I don't even know who Tobin is, by the way. 

I mean, yeah, I’ve seen a lot of dicks against my will and should not have to do so in the workplace, as these women should not.

9 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Edit to add- with the mass unemployment going on in the service industry you have no idea how tiny a violin I need for Toobin getting suspended from one of his multiple lucrative jobs for making colleagues see him masturbating- accidentally or not.

My assumption is he has been suspended from every one of his multiple jobs ie writing for the New Yorker and being a regular contributor to CNN. So he’s now unemployed. I don’t think people have pitied him - is saying what a dumb way to ruin your career pity?

And no one is suggesting anybody should have seen his dick, are they?

I like Jeffrey Toobin. He’s a sharp political commentator who cuts through the political crap. What a dumb way to ruin your career.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My assumption is he has been suspended from every one of his multiple jobs ie writing for the New Yorker and being a regular contributor to CNN. So he’s now unemployed. I don’t think people have pitied him - is saying what a dumb way to ruin your career pity?

And no one is suggesting anybody should have seen his dick, are they?

I like Jeffrey Toobin. He’s a sharp political commentator who cuts through the political crap. What a dumb way to ruin your career.

Castellan has made some comments that seem very sympathetic to Toobin’s position and also stated he thinks women wearing yoga pants are a slippery slope to men jerking off in meetings which is pretty awful.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

What happened with Toobin is a technology-caused tragedy.  This is the dark side of Zoom -- it's so easy to unknowingly have one's web cam still on.  You've minimized, but not realized it was still on.  The guy wasn't trying to expose himself to the world.  He though he was in the privacy of his home doing what evidently guys do a lot -- and he's got the right.  He just didn't realize the camera was still operational.  This is just awful.  Can we even imagine what he's going through?  Course if had been tRump, it wouldn't be no thang, right?  Though probably he'd have even more difficulty 'doin' it' than Homelander?

Also even if Pence pardons him for his crimes a lot of his crimes were committed in NY and date from prior to 2016 which Pence can't do anything about.

Yeah, knowing the details now, it's super fucked up. I left my camera on the other day without realizing. Luckily I just was muttering to myself while folding laundry.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

It's hard to even conceive of anything like the Comey letter having that much of an eleventh hour effect on the race.  The only thing that I think could possibly substantially move the needle like that at this point is if Biden got covid or some other serious health emergency.

Don't jinx it!!

Pod Save America have nice rants about those lasst-minute sort-of dissenting Republicans, and also  "How Trump can still win":

Two new developments. SC denies GOP request to stop extended period for returning mail ballots in Pennsylvania. Apparently, John Roberts voted with the liberals. The other news story is that the debate commission will mute the mics when the other person is speaking. Let’s see if the orange clown decides not to debate.

Archived