US Politics: The vote is Joe's. Signed, sealed, delivered.

A Horse Named Stranger

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

A friend tried to hire me to work in a rural area of the state a few months back. Would have been a fun escape from the world for a bit, but a big pay cut with no benefits. 

Oh yeah the rural areas of this state suck.  

Charlotte is awesome.  Asheville is great too if you like craft beer and can tolerate hipsters.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

Talisker was the first Scotch I tried that really made me say, "Holy shit, this is good."

Some other favs are Ledaig (had the 10 and the 18...both phenomenal), Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, and Port Charlotte.

Overall, I prefer bourbon, though.  I have to be in the right mood for Scotch, but I'm always in the mood for a good bourbon. 

Lagauvin is nice but usually just that small amount more expensive than a few other really good options to make me feel bad about buying it. I don’t care much for Laphroaig or Ardbeg, the ones I’ve had are just a little bit too intensely smoky, but I wouldn’t turn them down if offered! I usually get Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, or Talisker if I’m getting a decent scotch. Depends on my mood or if there’s a deal. I also get Dewars more often than I should admit in a convo about good scotch.  :lol:

Just now, S John said:

Lagauvin is nice but usually just that small amount more expensive than a few other really good options to make me feel bad about buying it. I don’t care much for Laphroaig or Ardbeg, the ones I’ve had are just a little bit too intensely smoky, but I wouldn’t turn them down if offered! I usually get Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition, Balvenie Caribbean Cask, or Talisker if I’m getting a decent scotch. Depends on my mood or if there’s a deal. I also get Dewars more often than I should admit in a convo about good scotch.  :lol:

One of my buddies who is a big Scotch guy has always recommended Balvenie.  I need to finally bite the bullet and buy a bottle.  I tend to spend most of my liquor budget on bourbon, so Scotch often gets neglected, especially this time of year when all the expensive special release bourbons start dropping.

18 minutes ago, briantw said:

Talisker was the first Scotch I tried that really made me say, "Holy shit, this is good."

Some other favs are Ledaig (had the 10 and the 18...both phenomenal), Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain, and Port Charlotte.

Overall, I prefer bourbon, though.  I have to be in the right mood for Scotch, but I'm always in the mood for a good bourbon. 

Good choices all around. I've never tried Ledaig though.

Have you tried the Ardbeg Uigeadail? No age profile, but has a great smoke to it. 

9 minutes ago, S John said:

One of my best friends is a lifetime Scotch drinker and makes no bones about the fact that she drinks the cheaper stuff a lot because the better stuff is, well, expensive. Especially here in Canada, where we pay a ton more in taxes on booze.

She directed me to a wonderful story the New Yorker did on Balvenie, which you might enjoy. :)

https://paidpost.newyorker.com/article/balvenie/balvenie

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

Good choices all around. I've never tried Ledaig though.

Have you tried the Ardbeg Uigeadail? No age profile, but has a great smoke to it. 

I have.  It's the best Ardbeg I have tried, which includes 10, Drum, Corrywrecken, and Wee Beastie that I remember.  Currently have Drum and Wee Beastie in my bar.  Definitely will get another bottle of Uigeadail at some point, probably early next year once the big bourbon release season is over.  

Something of note I just overheard.  The Maricopa update that will happen at 11am eastern will be about 75,000 votes.  They will include a large portion of provisional ballots that voters filled out after requesting a mail-in ballot but ultimately deciding to come vote on election day.  If those votes break like the early mail-in ballots that were dropped when polls closed on Tuesday, that may well put Biden up by an unattainable margin.

1 minute ago, Impmk2 said:

I'm imagining a bunch of Republican officials standing around a ballot box in Georgia right now, arguing about who's making that call to the white house before they update the official numbers.

While holding the poll workers at gun point, and of course not wearing masks.

Lindsey Graham, Ted Cruz back Trump's baseless claims of rigged election

https://www.axios.com/ted-cruz-lindsey-graham-trump-election-1ff23822-6878-4d5c-98ef-aa07d7d492ad.html

The big picture: Graham, who just won re-election Tuesday in what was expected to be one of the most competitive races of his Senate career, told Hannity that "everything should be on the table" when asked whether the Pennsylvania State Legislature should invalidate the delegates that the states’ voters selected.

He added that he is donating $500,000 to the president's defense team to support Trump's pledge to continue fighting to have ballots thrown out in court.
Cruz, meanwhile, said that the Justice Department, state legislatures and possibly the Supreme Court could get involved in the election if voting laws are not followed.

37 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

To do a recount that would for may favor Trump.

Recounts basically never change the results by more than hundreds of votes.  If Biden's up by more than 2,000 when all the votes are counted in Georgia, there's essentially no chance a recount would change the result.

Archived