US Politics - Count All The Posts

Relic

Kamala would certainly be favored to get the democratic nomination in 2024, but I don't see her being able to clear the field the way Hillary did. And the left are already sharpening their knives. 

27 minutes ago, Darzin said:

Yeah the hardcore Trumpers sure, but the narrative for most normal people will be he lost. 

For real. Pakistan has elected a female leader for crying out loud. Hillary Clinton was not an avatar of all women, she had some specific flaws and and a very long propaganda campaign agianst her. Taking her failure to mean American can't elect a woman is the wrong lesson to learn.

I didn’t say Clinton was an avatar for all women.

I’m saying being a woman is a disadvantage for anyone seeking political power.

So is usually being anything but white in America.

Electing Barack Obama didn’t suddenly make color something the majority of people would not look at in politics, Clinton winning wouldn’t make being a woman a drawback for anyone seeking political power.

The economy is terrible, likely to stay terrible due to Republican obstruction.

This would look bad for any incumbent.

It would look worse for a black woman incumbent who’d have to go against a man whose main appeal is exploiting good ole bigotry and who got 70 million people to vote for him.

9 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The President's party usually loses House seats in mid-term elections and since the Democrats have already lost some this time around and don't have much of a margin, it's quite likely that she wouldn't be Speaker in any case so she's not giving up much.

First, she didn't know who would be president in 2022 when she made the agreement.  Second, the assumption that the Dems will lose the House in 2022 is entirely premature, especially with a GOP Senate to share responsibility attribution.

12 minutes ago, Darzin said:

Kamala would certainly be favored to get the democratic nomination in 2024, but I don't see her being able to clear the field the way Hillary did. And the left are already sharpening their knives. 

Which is stupid.

She’s not Marx, but she’s by no means as bad as many on the left kept trying to frame her as in comparison to Sanders.

7 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Which is stupid.

She’s not Marx, but she’s by no means as bad as many on the left kept trying to frame her as in comparison to Sanders.

Doesn't matter though - you think she shouldn't be the candidate because she's a black woman. You're pointing at supposed knives with your own blade.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

First, she didn't know who would be president in 2022 when she made the agreement.  Second, the assumption that the Dems will lose the House in 2022 is entirely premature, especially with a GOP Senate to share responsibility attribution.

I think it's pretty much a given, unless demographics have shifted to make several formerly purpose districts blue. The way districts have been drawn up seems to favour the status quo being a Republican house majority, so it's only when the electorate in general sees a need to punish the Republicans that Democrats take the House. Maybe changes in the South are bringing districts there back to Democrats after the long night out in the cold after civil rights. And 2020 is not a great sign, Democrats are going to lose seats in the House despite Biden getting a huge NPV victory.

This was unlike Obama, where his win swept in a larger Democrat majority than what the 2006 mid-term brought. But like Obama I fully expect Biden to only have 2 years to get a Democrat legislative agenda through the house, but almost everything will be blocked by the Senate. The Republican Senate is going to seek 4 years of vengeance on Biden for beating Trump (though they don't care about Trump, only that a first term Republican president lost, again), and it will whip every senator to vote against every House Bill under threat of being primaried.

There is some faint hope that the electorate will be in a mood to punish those who stood in the way of legislation that has popular support, and the mid terms will maintain a Democrat House majority and hand the Senate to the Democrats. But I don't think that will happen. It might do, but 70 million people just voted for Trump, an odious individual with no obvious redeeming qualities.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think it's pretty much a given

Anyone that thinks they know how the 2022 midterms will play out right now is either a fool or a liar.  You'd think at the end of 2020 it'd be obvious to anybody that almost anything can change in a year, let alone two.

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Doesn't matter though - you think she doesn't have a chance because she's a black woman. You're pointing at supposed knives with your own blade.

A black woman who’d be dealing with a abysmal economy due to willful obstruction by Republicans, and who wouldn’t be the person the people elected the last time around.
Do you think Obama, would have kept his approval rating as high as Trump’s if Corona happened under his watch and he had fucked up the response as badly as Trump did?

Hell Trump got more votes than Obama did in 2008,

Do you think women don’t have it harder to find acceptance to the idea of them leading than men?

Biden based on his actual politics is probably more of the things that people pointed to for why Clinton was so bad—yet was never reviled nearly as much.

And I know she’d had her own scandals some real, others completely bonkers

But her sex did not help her.

Republicans have elected women to political office.

Alabama elected a woman to be governor in the 60s.

I know women-—even in more traditionally conservative places in America—can win. 

But I’m saying being a woman makes that more of a hurdle.

Can we agree to that?

I have to say I just got to the tail end of Biden's speech, and it felt good to have an adult leading agian. He called for lowering tensions and promised to work for all Americans whether they voted for or agianst him. Simple basic platitudes but ones we've been lacking for a long time.

For those of you outside the US ABC news has has a livestream no VPN needed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwjhikkGjPU

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Can we agree to that?

I guess the question is how far do you go to try for that sexist/racist vote?

There's also the option of dropping LGBT rights, or reproductive freedom, or gun control. That might nab a few votes...

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Anyone that thinks they know how the 2022 midterms will play out right now is either a fool or a liar.  You'd think at the end of 2020 it'd be obvious to anybody that almost anything can change in a year, let alone two.

You forgot prescient. Because obviously if the Republicans get the house back then I will have correctly foretold the future today.

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Can we agree to that?

To a degree but I wouldn't map out 2024 just yet... maybe wait until Biden is actually president. We have no idea how the election will look in 2024 or if Harris will even be the nominee. 

13 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But I’m saying being a woman makes that more of a hurdle.

Can we agree to that?

Yes.  Can we agree that by using this electoral reality as justification to never entertain the possibility women and/or minority candidates could break that glass ceiling is in and of itself fortifying that ceiling?

Anyone posted the desperately aggressive mails the Trump team is sending to get donations before?

If that doesn't sound like a scam, I don't know what does...

It should also note that it says in the small print that 60% of all donations will be used to pay off Trump's campaigning debt. The shamelessness is appalling...

Can anyone educate me on North Carolina?

I appreciate that it's pretty strongly Republican, but it seems to have stopped counting votes Wednesday morning, with 250k left to count, and just buggered off home without bothering with them.

Yes, I get that they have a fairly late deadline for mail-in ballots, but what about the 250k ballots that are just waiting there in the office? Roughly how many are expected to arrive after election day?

Equally, how big a coup would it be IF it did flip?

Archived