US Politics - The Liar in Winter

Larry of the Lawn

6 minutes ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Well, no. We got some exit polling from one group that said that white women as a whole went for Trump more than they did in 2016. 

But exit polling was WILDLY different between two different groups, had a bunch of glaring issues (like 18% black people for Trump!), and is probably going to end up being pretty inaccurate given that the people who voted on election day were very skewed towards certain types of people.

Chances are good given the vote splitting that suburban white women were a pretty big deal, AND AA population turn out was also a big deal. Given, again, that 67,000 people decided this election the notion that only one group was responsible is ludicrous.

Yeah, what I was seeing was that it was somewhere between 46% and 55% of white women voted for Trump.

13 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I thought that post-election polling was indicating that the suburban white women more or less broke for Trump in similar numbers as last time. If they did break for Biden, I take it back and prostrate myself at the feet of suburban white women as penance.

If you go by Edison's exit poll you could say white women overall - or even college educated white women - broke for Trump in similar numbers.  But even then, extrapolating those numbers to specifically suburban white women is dubious.  Alternatively, AP's exit poll did indeed indicate suburban white women were rather crucial to Biden's victory:

VoteCast showed that Trump narrowly beat Biden among white women, largely on the strength of support in rural areas and small towns. But Biden dominated with women in the suburbs, winning 59% to Trump’s 40% of a group that makes up around a quarter of the electorate nationwide. Biden won overwhelmingly among Black women, 93% to Trump’s 6%, according to VoteCast.

Personally, as always, I'll wait for ANES' data before drawing conclusions.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

If you go by Edison's exit poll you could say white women overall - or even college educated white women - broke for Trump in similar numbers.  But even then, extrapolating those numbers to specifically suburban white women is dubious.  Alternatively, AP's exit poll did indeed indicate suburban white women were rather crucial to Biden's victory:

Personally, as always, I'll wait for ANES' data before drawing conclusions.

Fair enough. I am actually really interested to see more studies done on this election, I think it will be the subject of much study within political science circles in the future.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

Damn something like that woulda probably taken me at least twenty minutes to find, and I'd almost certainly give up before then.  I'm impressed.

I am a collector of grievances, and "Search by Author" is your friend. Searched for myself and "freezer" and voila.

56 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The sweeteners used are natural, stevia and erythritol.

I thought Breaking Bad made it clear we should all avoid stevia.

53 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I thought I remembered a bunch of people saying that as long as we voted for Biden we could say whatever we wanted critical about leadership after the election?

I still think it'd be nice to wait at least until he actually makes Cabinet choices rather than jumping to conclusions based on his west wing senior staff.

2 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

I think it will be the subject of much study within political science circles in the future.

That's a very safe bet.  An understatement, even.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I am a collector of grievances

More like Nixon or Hoover?

2 hours ago, Starkess said:

You state these like facts but they're definitely opinions. Unfair debt? I mean, yes, student debt is a huge problem and people making decisions at 18 make bad ones. The fact that they can't be discharged with bankruptcy is a huge problem. But I wouldn't call it "unfair debt".

Well sure, you can always see the idea of society owing an education to its members (all its members) as an "opinion."
It's just that's a really shitty one.

I always find it difficult to understand people arguing that stuff like education or healthcare are not fundamental human rights. The price in human suffering of such "opinions" cannot be overstated. But of course, the leftists are the problem, because they want progress now. Fuck them, right?

I just finished off a large bowl of ice cream, even though it is very cold in the apartment at the moment.  I was happy that I chose ice cream for dinner.  Dinner has been elaborate and hot and filling for many days, and made by me.  Tonight I did not.  Tonight I ate ice cream!

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I just finished off a large bowl of ice cream, even though it is very cold in the apartment at the moment.  I was happy that I chose ice cream for dinner.  Dinner has been elaborate and hot and filling for many days, and made by me.  Tonight I did not.  Tonight I ate ice cream!

That’s because it’s always time for Ice Cream!

3 hours ago, Week said:

Certainly seems like the case - there, obviously, is still no evidence to suggest any significant changes. How do you think this games out? I don't seem him conceding and slinking out of the WH - nor do I see him getting dragged out. I still think that he's most likely heading to Mar-a-Lago by Christmas and staying there - never relinquishing power or conceding. The government will need to peel itself away from him. It's going to be very ugly.

I think it all ends with a fart. I would not be surprised if a major of Republicans care more about their party than the country, but there's still not a large enough bloc to go along with this.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I would not be surprised if a major of Republicans care more about their party than the country, but there's still not a large enough bloc to go along with this.

I'd think Lindsey Graham fist-bumping Kamala Harris is indication enough virtually none of them are taking this seriously.

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I was in the liquor store yesterday and bought a small bottle of Salted Caramel flavored Kahlua. I think I need to buy some vanilla ice cream now. 

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Ok, so you did say it was a bad look, why the hell are you bringing it up?

Because it was still a case of the Most Pure Left using the right's own dumb culture war talking points.

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Also not laughing at you, but I did get a chuckle at how the narrative was that suburban white women were going to be a significant part of a Democratic victory when it turns out they did fuck all for us.

Oh look, Search by Author is useful again: 

I cited how overblown the "53% of white women" thing was, which as others have pointed out, is not the same as suburban (read: college educated) white women. Suburban white women are some of my best friends. Shit, I married one.

The suburban counties around Philly broke heavily for Biden, as I recall. That had to involve at least some suburban white women.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

If you read that ice cream thread it's pretty funny that DG is essentially making the same argument there as the left is about 'defund the police' now.

At the risk of opening another can of worms, I had a hard time parsing this burn on me, I am not sure what the "same argument" I'm making is but maybe we can at least agree that arguments about defunding the police and arguments about Pelosi showing off her ice cream stash have slightly different impacts on people's lives?

33 minutes ago, DMC said:

More like Nixon or Hoover?

More like Tywin Lannister, one fancies.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I understand Pelosi favors Halo Top, which I've never tried. But Biden once tweeted a picture of Jeni's, which is amazing. My cousin had five pints shipped to us in dry ice for Dante Jr's birthday and wowie zowie. My wife said she'd move to be able to get that ice cream regularly and I looked at the label and said, "Nah, we're not moving to Ohio."

Jeni's is sooo good! But you don't have to go to Ohio! I went to a Jeni's shop in Charleston SC and in Chicago, and I think they even sell pints now at my local Target. Yum. (I haven't tried the pints to see if they compare to the in-store experience...my waistline would not thank me!)

39 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Well sure, you can always see the idea of society owing an education to its members (all its members) as an "opinion."
It's just that's a really shitty one.

I always find it difficult to understand people arguing that stuff like education or healthcare are not fundamental human rights. The price in human suffering of such "opinions" cannot be overstated. But of course, the leftists are the problem, because they want progress now. Fuck them, right?

Well actually I didn't say anything at all about education. I said that framing a legally incurred debt is "unfair" as if it's a fact might rub people the wrong way.

I actually *do* agree that education is a right and, given the amount of information there is to be learned these days, that ought to include some form of post-secondary education. But that's actually not the same thing at all as talking about a universal student debt jubilee.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'd think Lindsey Graham fist-bumping Kamala Harris is indication enough virtually none of them are taking this seriously.

The elites aren't going to be the problem, and that's a lesson a lot of them have learned over the past decade.

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

More like Tywin Lannister, one fancies.

Go wet your beak elsewhere! 

2 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Jeni's is sooo good! But you don't have to go to Ohio! I went to a Jeni's shop in Charleston SC and in Chicago, and I think they even sell pints now at my local Target. Yum. (I haven't tried the pints to see if they compare to the in-store experience...my waistline would not thank me!)

I actually discovered them in the freezer case at Whole Foods a couple of weeks ago, which was the first time I'd been in a Whole Foods since the early pandemic days. I surprised my wife with them and she was very happy. We didn't tell Dante Jr about them though. He still thinks that was a one-time gift of magical ice cream from my cousin.

Shit is expensive though.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I can't...imagine Biden being this stupid.  Could just be a way to scare leftists into being happy with less offensive picks.  Also - and I think what's most likely - don't put it past Rahm himself to be planting these stories.

This may or may not make you laugh, but when I skimmed over the sentence "-up for Transportation", my first thought was that he was getting one of the ASEAN ambassadorships and somebody had my sense of humor.

7 minutes ago, illrede said:

This may or may not make you laugh, but when I skimmed over the sentence "-up for Transportation", my first thought was that he was getting one of the ASEAN ambassadorships and somebody had my sense of humor.

If only it were a literal transportation...

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Serious enough to call the GA SoS asking about throwing out mail-in ballots, no? It's still completely fucking nuts even if it's just on a lark.

Archived