NBA 2021

DireWolfSpirit

Celtics/Bulls now postponed. I know there's a huge, huge financial hit but the NBA really needs to take six weeks off and try again in March. Get a loan like the PL clubs did, wait for vaccines to become available and do this right. This is snowball of dumb.

14 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Celtics/Bulls now postponed. I know there's a huge, huge financial hit but the NBA really needs to take six weeks off and try again in March. Get a loan like the PL clubs did, wait for vaccines to become available and do this right. This is snowball of dumb.

Have to agree

The Rockets are apparently sitting Harden until they can find a trade partner, for fear of potential injury or further dividing the team.  The leading contenders are still believed to be the Nets and the Sixers.  The Sixers apparently haven't quite decided if they're willing to part with Simmons.  Harden + Embiid is a better fit than Simmons + Embiid, but I'm not sure that really is enough to make them contenders and Harden is a headache that a lot of teams aren't interested in right now. 

I remain convinced that if the Nets trade several role players + a bunch of first round picks for Harden that they will regret it.  There's still only one ball.  Building a team around three ball-dominant offensive stars and very little else (as they'll have to trade several role players in this deal) is a recipe for disappointment.  Hard to imagine how a team like that could win a playoff series against teams that can actually defend like the Bucks or Celtics or Heat.  Let alone the Lakers.

1 minute ago, Argonath Diver said:

I am hoping the Nets get him, simply so I can have three of my least favorite divas in the league on one team. I think it would still be a failure, and that's what all three of those selfish, deluded pricks deserve.

It's funny I thought about mentioning that very thing too. 

Irving and Harden are probably my two least favorite guys in the league.  I don't hate Durant nearly as much as the other two, since he seems like a decent guy on a personal level.  But I still haven't fully forgiven him for joining GSW and would be just fine with him never winning another title. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's funny I thought about mentioning that very thing too. 

Irving and Harden are probably my two least favorite guys in the league.  I don't hate Durant nearly as much as the other two, since he seems like a decent guy on a personal level.  But I still haven't fully forgiven him for joining GSW and would be just fine with him never winning another title. 

Completely in agreement. I really liked Durant until his all-time cowardly move to jump to GSW. Also, his whole burner account thing was hilariously pitiful. Perhaps the bile I feel rising when I read about Irving and Harden are recency bias, but Durant is such a joy to watch on court, he's easier to forgive. Harden I find completely unwatchable on court, so he currently trumps even Irving's current idiocy to hit my "Least Favorite NBA Player in a Decade" award. 

Hell, I've even forgotten most of my fifteen year resentment of LeBron with these other guys lately.

I wish the superstars I truly enjoy - Jokic, Lillard, Butler, Curry, and Antetokounmpo - were doing better this weird-as-hell season so far.

(and yes, I memorized Giannis' last name like I used to for Scrabble practice)

Details of the trade.

The Rockets will receive four first-round picks and four-pick swaps, all unprotected. Those picks will come from Brooklyn in 2022, 2024 and 2026 along with Milwaukee in 2022 (previously owned by Cleveland), and the swaps will come from Brooklyn in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027. They will also receive Rodions Kurucs and Dante Exum. Additionally, Caris LeVert will be sent to the Indiana Pacers, who will send Victor Oladipo to the Rockets. Jarrett Allen and Taurean Prince will go to Cleveland in the deal. 

The Pacers traded Oladipo?  That's very surprising.  Is Caris LeVert really that good?  I don't know much about him.

The Nets...oof, this team looks like a trainwreck to me.  They have traded away their draft capital for the next 7 years for Harden.  At least the NBA has a heel squad to root against. 

The Rockets got about as good a haul as they could have hoped for.  Oladipo plus a whole bunch of picks.  I'm not really sure if they're just going full fire sale though.  They don't have their own first rounders for several years, so they can't just rely on tanking getting them good picks.  Oladipo+Wall+Wood isn't good enough to make the playoffs in the West, but it's definitely good enough to not be a bottom 5 team either.  So they're on the mediocrity treadmill, at least at the moment.  Wonder if they're going to try and get their 1st round picks back somehow. That would be funny. 

Holy shit, it really happened. The Dipo move is very odd for the Pacers, to me. I am also a bit unaware of LeVert. Man, I'm trying to keep up with the impeachment chaos, some ubernerd gamer chaos in my game of choice, my real-life stuff, and now this. I have like 16 tabs open across both monitors right now.

Nets are taking a huge gamble, but those three players are dynamic forces when they're each engaged.

edit: Oh yeah, I forgot Dipo's contract is almost up. So LeVert is a solid get if they assumed Dipo was gone.

Its like the Nets learned nothing by trading away all their future picks for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett...

Yeah, they'll win a lot of games and then collapse in the playoffs for the next year or two, but does anyone expect these guys to be on the roster when those 2025-2026 picks come around?!!?  Those things are gold, Jerry... GOLD!

12 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

Definitely a good young core for your Cavs. I assume they'll move Drummond ASAP.

Yeah, they somehow seemed to stumble their way into a halfway good rebuild.  

Now they just need to get healthy.  So many damn injuries already this season.

22 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Eh, I think the Nets made a dumb move. It would be one thing if this big three provided a healthy mix of defense and rebounding ability to go with the scoring, but it's mostly just scoring, scoring and scoring.

Last I checked there was only one ball.

100%. The last decade's super teams all had parts that fit, even the Cavs with Love. These guys are just overlapping pluses and minuses. The one upside is they can have at least two of them on the court at all times.

Poor Steve Nash.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Poor Steve Nash.

That was my first thought too.  This can’t be what he envisioned.  Say what you will about Kyrie and Durant, they do fit together.  But for the life of me I can’t imagine what Harden brings.

I can’t even figure out how Harden is good for that matter.  He doesn’t look like an chiseled elite athlete.  There’s no blinding speed.  He can shoot from outside, but lots of unathletic guys can do that and aren’t good enough for the league.  :dunno: 

Archived