International Events 5, "As the World Turns"

DireWolfSpirit

This business of Russia poisoning a guy with the stuff sewn into a seam of his underwear -- does this or does this not sound just like the sorta thing that would make shoggoth just die laffing as the best thing evah?  He and  Putin, two peas in a pod.  No wonder trump's putin's bitch.

Spoiler

Can't delete this damn thing 

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Reminds me of MS Dhoni's 5 year old daughter Ziva getting rape threats (from a 16 yr old) for her father's IPL team, Chennai Super kings not performing to its lofty usual standards. Shudder to think of it 

Continuing a tradition, Rio de Janeiro's mayor Marcelo Crivella has been arrested today on corruption charges. 

He should not be confused with Rio de Janeiro's state governor, Wilson Witzel, who was removed from office following a judicial decision for obstructing justice in a corruption investigation, and has later been removed by Rio state assembly following his impeachment, whose proceedings are under way right now and probably will lead him to lose his position. And he should not be confused with his predecessor, Luiz Fernando Pezão, who was arrested for corruption and obstruction of justice while he was in office.

For anyone interested in keeping score, Rio has one impeached governor for corruption, 5 former governors who are or have been in jail for corruption- that's literally every living person who was elected for the office- plus one former governor (elected as lieutenant governor) who had her assets frozen due to a corruption investigation. 

Meanwhile, the city has one mayor in jail for corruption, and it's only two living former mayors (one set to take office again at January 1st, and the other set to take a seat in the City Council) already with convictions or investigations pending from everything from corruption to building a golf course in an environmentally protected area.

Also, most of the State Assembly is being investigated or has been charge in a scheme in which they pocketed part of their staff's wages- including on that list Bolsonaro's eldest son, Flávio, who was elected to the Senate last election.

That list I mentioned includes people from the far right to the left, men and women, black and white, people with origins in the wealthy elites to very humble ones, and people who were career politicians to ones that never held office before. And probably the saddest part is not that Rio is specially corrupt, but the fact that all of Brazil is, just that Rio has a lot more media attention, both national and international, so it's harder to get away with it.

4 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Continuing a tradition, Rio de Janeiro's mayor Marcelo Crivella has been arrested today on corruption charges. 

He should not be confused with Rio de Janeiro's state governor, Wilson Witzel, who was removed from office following a judicial decision for obstructing justice in a corruption investigation, and has later been removed by Rio state assembly following his impeachment, whose proceedings are under way right now and probably will lead him to lose his position. And he should not be confused with his predecessor, Luiz Fernando Pezão, who was arrested for corruption and obstruction of justice while he was in office.

Call me crazy, but I think I'm seeing a bit of a pattern here.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yep. 

There's also the small matter that the state of Rio is virtually bankrupt, because not only the corruption, but overspending- the government increased expenses drastically during the 00's and early 10's, but a massive part of the revenue came from oil royalties, and of course those nosedived (even more with COVID-19), while many of the expenses couldn't be reduced, particularly public employees' wages- and of course there was massive spending (and corruption) with the Olympic games. The city itself isn't doing much better.

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Idk, the name "Wilson Witzel" sticks out like a sore thumb.

In other news, Israel's government once again collapses and the country will hold its fourth round of elections in a two year period some time next year.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In other news, Israel's government once again collapses and the country will hold its fourth round of elections in a two year period some time next year.

Never trust anyone with alliterative first and last names.

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

If you can’t trust Wade Wilson, then who can you trust?

Exactly...I think?

Oh no! I just realised, my very good friend is Iranian with an alliterative name. :uhoh:

People with the same first and last name are really victims of a cruel joke.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

If you think Witzel sticks out, it's because you don't speak Portuguese and doesn't realize that Pezão is a nickname that means...Big Foot. Rio actually had Bigfoot for governor, and sent him to jail for corruption! That's how bad things are.

As for Israel, they probably are not going to have a government again until Nethanyahu quits or dies, and the latter is likely to come first.

I know a Chinese whose name basically translates to this. Not because her parents are especially cruel but because the family and given name switch position when you are no longer in China...

On 12/22/2020 at 7:11 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

I used to work with a dude named George George, I shit you not.:D

On 12/23/2020 at 5:31 AM, Maltaran said:

I encountered a Michael Michael at work once. He sometimes went by Michael squared 

Ah, shades of Major Major Major Major.

For those of you who are illiterates, the Major is a character in Joseph Heller’s novel Catch-22. :lol:

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

He was Greek, right? I used to work with a Greek lass named Georgina Georgiou. The Greeks are mad for St George.

Whenever I need to look up info on a patient, but all I'm told is their name is Muhammad Muhammad (or some variation of the spelling)..... :crying:

A strong earthquake in Croatia. A child died and many buildings are demolished.

We could feel it quite strongly even in the middle of Slovenia, and apparently it was felt in other neighbouring countries too. It was even scary here, I cannot imagine how it must be there in the middle of it on top of the corona crisis.

Archived