Canadian Politics: Is that a Light at the End of the Tunnel?

Fragile Bird

44 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Is she an anti-vaxxer?

Lol, I said I had talked about my anti-vaxxer SiL in the Covid threads. Repeatedly. It’s a bit weird, until this pandemic she hadn’t had a problem with getting various vaccines. She fell down an internet rabbit hole and it looks like she’ll never get out.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, I said I had talked about my anti-vaxxer SiL in the Covid threads. Repeatedly. It’s a bit weird, until this pandemic she hadn’t had a problem with getting various vaccines. She fell down an internet rabbit hole and it looks like she’ll never get out.

Weird my mind skipped that part when reading.

4 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Sure, but isn’t the Liberal platform the only one that’s actually been, you know, costed?

Yep, and it's not like the NDP and CPC haven't also clearly been signaling for an election, they just didn't want to be the ones to pull the trigger. So yeah the other guys threw out a bunch of promises without anything about how they would do it, and at least in the CPC's case has been flip flopping a lot. So what's their excuse for not being ready?

Anyway did anyone watch the French debate? I saw some clips and Trudeau seemed to have done the best by far, but it doesn't seem to have had that much of an impact in Quebec.

6 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Yep, and it's not like the NDP and CPC haven't also clearly been signaling for an election, they just didn't want to be the ones to pull the trigger. So yeah the other guys threw out a bunch of promises without anything about how they would do it, and at least in the CPC's case has been flip flopping a lot. So what's their excuse for not being ready?

O'Toole actually just had his platform edited, re: firearm control. Might be a first in Canadian politics lol

7 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Anyway did anyone watch the French debate? I saw some clips and Trudeau seemed to have done the best by far, but it doesn't seem to have had that much of an impact in Quebec.

I tuned in and got really annoyed there weren't English subtitles. Hope that's not the case Wednesday night.

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

I did. Can't say I was impressed with any of the leaders, but debates these days are just so over the top and full of attempted soundbites I wasn't expecting to be. In terms of Quebec, it does seem that the Bloc numbers have gone down since the debate - who knows if it's just a blip, but if it's not, that's likely to benefit the Liberals.

13 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah, I had a good laugh when I saw that earlier. 

He stole this idea from New South Wales! Was quite a successful initiative to be honest. I made use of it on my travels home earlier this year. But it is small fry for federal politics.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did everyone know we have a new, end of September, federal holiday, National Reconciliation Day? Starting this September?

Bit of a weird one…I guess a lot of people won’t have it off anyway? It’s hard to argue with the intention behind it but I’m yet to be convinced that it achieves much.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did everyone know we have a new, end of September, federal holiday, National Reconciliation Day? Starting this September?

What's being reconciled? Or is it like Marlon Brando in the Wild One, when asked "What are you rebelling against, Johnny?" he answers "Whaddaya got?"

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

And of course Ontario will not recognize it as a stat holiday.

I agree with Paxter - the holiday is a bit of a toothless gesture without action on the rest of the recommendations from the TRC report. 

It reminds me of the City of Toronto deciding to rename Dundas Street. What does it achieve? It lets people pat themselves on the back for a job well done, an then go back to their normally scheduled programming.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What's being reconciled? Or is it like Marlon Brando in the Wild One, when asked "What are you rebelling against, Johnny?" he answers "Whaddaya got?"

We had a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that investigated the treatment of the indigenous population in residential schools. Among the recommendations of the Commission was the creation of a federal statutory holiday that gives the public a chance to recognize the intergenerational harm that residential schools have caused to indigenous families and communities, and to honour those who have been affected by that injustice.

Anyone tune in last night?

i. Trudeau did well enough, especially when he slapped Rebel cheeks during questioning afterward. I expect the Libs will see a bit of an uptick in subsequent polls-- they really need more fight, imo

ii. Paul impressed me, she had a couple sharp zingers and spoke intelligently on the issues, but I don't see it helping the Greens unfortunately. They're more or less running a one riding campaign and Paul's chances of winning it are small. I suspect her leadership of the party won't survive long after the election 

iii. Singh did alright. He also made it clear [or so it seemed to me] that he does understand the division of Fed/Prov responsibilities, which is good but still downgraded my estimation of him because instead of being ignorant he's being duplicitous    

iv. Blanchet was the same as always, getting tired of his Nation to Nation schtick though. I know he's pandering to Quebecers, but still... 

v. 'Toole was a clod of dirt in the background, pale compared to the other four leaders. Scrambling on firearm control, and this crap about axing 10 dollar a day daycare for a tax credit likely tanked the Cons chances-- although, their health spending plan is bullshit too. Perhaps he'll do better in the English debate tonight, but I don't know, I suspect he's going to get ganked   

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

We had a Truth and Reconciliation Commission that investigated the treatment of the indigenous population in residential schools. Among the recommendations of the Commission was the creation of a federal statutory holiday that gives the public a chance to recognize the intergenerational harm that residential schools have caused to indigenous families and communities, and to honour those who have been affected by that injustice.

Thank you.  I kinda thought that was it.  Kinda too late to recognize the harm, but better too late than never? Ya, that was snarky, but not directed at you guys.  I mean, the USA hasn't even done that . . . .

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Thank you.  I kinda thought that was it.  Kinda too late to recognize the harm, but better too late than never? Ya, that was snarky, but not directed at you guys.  I mean, the USA hasn't even done that . . . .

Perhaps, but in a lot of of the ways that actually matter it feels like the US is ahead of Canada in that regard. Like, even with this alone:

'US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land' https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53358330

Canada closing in on 85% of the eligible population with at least one dose of a vaccine. There has been a bit of uplift on first doses this week, which is encouraging. 

On a personal note, I had my appendix out last night after a stint in the emergency department on Wednesday. Was very grateful for a relatively well functioning (and free) health care system. 

6 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Canada closing in on 85% of the eligible population with at least one dose of a vaccine. There has been a bit of uplift on first doses this week, which is encouraging. 

On a personal note, I had my appendix out last night after a stint in the emergency department on Wednesday. Was very grateful for a relatively well functioning (and free) health care system. 

There should be a Wow emoji! Did you stay overnight? Here’s to a speedy recovery!

9 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Get well soon, yo.

27 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There should be a Wow emoji! Did you stay overnight? Here’s to a speedy recovery!

Two nights, yeah. Unfortunately St Mike’s emergency was jammed on Wednesday thanks to the long weekend so it took a while to see a doctor…but after that it was quick to get imaged, operated and discharged.

@JEORDHl: Thanks! Three smallish incisions in the abdomen, should be back to normal in a couple of weeks.

Canada hasn’t been that lucky for me between a torn ACL (skiing at Blue Mtn), Covid and appendicitis. But I’m a PR now so something must be going right :).

Archived