UK politics - Dry Your Eyes Mate, ...

Lykos

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If you're referring to the 'rape' charges in Sweden, I think that's been shown to be an absolute crock of shit.

It hasn't. The charges were unquestionably being leverage to trap Assange into a situation where he can be sent back to the US, but that doesn't mean they aren't true, and I don't think it's ever been particularly convincingly shown that they're not. That's in large part Sweden's fault for simply refusing to guarantee Assange immunity from extradition and a lamentable failure to do right by the accusers as much as Assange, but it wouldn't make him not a scumbag.

Basically the way that he's been treated in regards to the leaks has been abominable, even though he's an absolute shitebag with that too and nWikiLeaks shouldn't be supported beyond 'Keep Assange out of US jail' but it's entirely possible he should be in Swedish jail.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It hasn't. The charges were unquestionably being leverage to trap Assange into a situation where he can be sent back to the US, but that doesn't mean they aren't true, and I don't think it's ever been particularly convincingly shown that they're not. That's in large part Sweden's fault for simply refusing to guarantee Assange immunity from extradition and a lamentable failure to do right by the accusers as much as Assange, but it wouldn't make him not a scumbag.

Basically the way that he's been treated in regards to the leaks has been abominable, even though he's an absolute shitebag with that too and nWikiLeaks shouldn't be supported beyond 'Keep Assange out of US jail' but it's entirely possible he should be in Swedish jail.

A condom breaking while having consensual sex with someone is not rape. Or is it? 

6 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

A condom breaking while having consensual sex with someone is not rape. Or is it? 

It'd be pretty impossible to say if he tampered with it or not, but the other accusation is a lot more straightforward. Having sex with someone, while they are asleep, without a condom when they had previously told you they wouldn't without one is pretty definitely rape by most people's definition and is without question the act of a scumbag.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

If you're referring to the 'rape' charges in Sweden, I think that's been shown to be an absolute crock of shit. Wasn't it all to do with a ripped condom?

If that makes you a rapist, then I can think of at least three occasions in my life where I accidentally 'raped' someone.

That is one of the many other thing Assange has done that show him to be a man of deeply questionable character: selfish, arrogant and hypocritical. I agree that doesn’t mean he should go to jail on the US charges. But let’s be in no doubt (and it’s worth saying, since your understanding of the rape charges is apparently extremely partial, in both senses of the word) that this man is no hero. He deserves no praise. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Boris making an announcement at 2000. Cant wait. Bet it's good news. 

I think we know what it's going to be.

I've seen some people suggesting it's going to be moving all remaining Tier 3 areas to Tier 4, but given that Tier 4 isn't working, I can't see that being particularly viable. A full-blown Lockdown v3.0, for 2-4 weeks, with the country dropping to Tier 4 afterwards and then a region-by-region consideration might be the most likely outcome.

I am wondering if that's how it'll be sold but they'll be more prepared to extend the full lockdown fortnight on fortnight until figures start coming down.

Matt Hancock also sounding alarm bells over the South African variant that's emerging, which apparently has significantly greater changes to the protein spike that may inhibit the full effectiveness of the current vaccinations.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Peston reporting that this lockdown will be "tough."

well it needs to be tougher than the last lockdown as they have repeatedly said numbers where still going up in the south east with the new strain.

eta.   I've not had a hair cut since 2019 I think or maybe very early 2020.   (other than self fringe trims)

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

I regret not getting a haircut. I'm going to need a cap at work now :uhoh:

Yeah, I timed it wrong. I had one too early before Christmas and now I'm probably going to end up having to cut my own hair again. Damn it.

6 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

eta.   I've not had a hair cut since 2019 I think or maybe very early 2020.   (other than self fringe trims)

I want this life.

I like my hair short because the longer it gets, the more curly/ poofy it gets. I didn't count on everything to be closed from before xmas to after new year.

Surgical cap at work it is!

2 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I'm probably going to end up having to cut my own hair again. Damn it.

I don't trust myself to do this *at all*

4 minutes ago, Raja said:

I want this life.

I like my hair short because the longer it gets, the more curly/ poofy it gets. I didn't count on everything to be closed from before xmas to after new year.

Surgical cap at work it is!

I don't trust myself to do this *at all*

to be fair, mine has now just got long enough not to be totally annoying.  there is no way I'm cutting it now until I can regularly cut it again.  Also I much preferer myself with short hair.

1 minute ago, Hereward said:

I think it’s pretty insensitive to go on about haircuts in front of a man in my condition.

just think of all the money you are saving being a man in your condition and not a woman with flowing locks.  although I reckon you would look cute in bunches.

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, I timed it wrong. I had one too early before Christmas and now I'm probably going to end up having to cut my own hair again. Damn it.

Mine was booked for Thursday. Probably not happening now. Guess the clippers will be coming out again. :crying:

Archived