US Politics- One More Impeachment, For Old Times’ Sake

Fury Resurrected

56 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

https://www.comicsands.com/carlson-trump-supporters-freedom-peril-2649781552.html

Tucker Carlson Throws Gasoline On The Fire By Telling Trumpers Their Freedoms 'Are In Peril' Now

"What happened today will be used by the people taking power to strip you of the rights you were born with as an American: your right to speak without being censored, your right to assemble, to not be spied upon, to make a living, to defend your family, most critically."

He's not entirely wrong, in so far as if we allow this to expand criminal statutes and definition of terrorism it is only going to further empower the police state. Of course that does not mean that it will affect the right wing/white nationalists who perpetrated these crimes, in fact historically reactions to these sorts of events tend to disproportionately create negative outcomes for the left wing and marginalized groups. For example the various agencies using the patriot act to spy on innocent Muslims rather than the real threat of white nationalism. We have to be very careful of how much we allow the expansion of the police state in response to events like this.

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I felt bad for that grandma. Her reaction was the complete opposite of what I expected from starting lots of videos with an angry looking person appearing to see someone filming them.

Honestly, I did too.  I have seriously Trumpanistas family.  I have argued with them till I’m blue in the face.  She sounds like she loves her Grandson and doesn’t understand why he did something as stupid as he did.

14 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

They'll probably get a slap on the wrist. if some of these guys have prior convictions as you said, I don't know.

It looks like that would be the case;https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/capitol-rioter-seen-in-horned-hat-carrying-spear-arrested-us-attorney/2535850/

He wanted terrorize congress.

He did and he counts that as a win.

12 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Honestly, I did too.  I have seriously Trumpanistas family.  I have argued with them till I’m blue in the face.  She sounds like she loves her Grandson and doesn’t understand why he did something as stupid as he did.

I'm sure she loves her grandon, bt she thanked Trump for inviting them... My impression was not that she disapproved. (And yes, she did seem nice and worried etc.)

14 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I'm sure she loves her grandon, bt she thanked Trump for inviting them... My impression was not that she disapproved. (And yes, she did seem nice and worried etc.)

I’m glad he resigned.  His attorney, through yesterday had said he was refusing to resign his seat.

not 'pepper spray,' so far as I know, but hereabouts, the USPS carriers are *required* to carry 'dog spray,' because there are that many surly canines in this area.  used to be the same story for the phone company; still might be the case.  We are regularly warned about avoiding dogs during 'stand-ups.'

for myself, I don't bother with the 'dog spray' - though maybe I should.  I do carry a 'multi-tool,' which has folding pliers, screwdrivers, and other attachments including a finger length knife.  That device is handy for impromptu repairs to mailboxes and other tinkering.  

I hate t

22 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Sounds legit.

"WH office of pardon attorney". Brilliant.

I hate to disillusion you, but yes indeed, there is a WH Office of Pardon Attorney. Applications for pardons go to the Pardon Attorney for review and consideration, and then the Pardon Attorney draws a list of candidates for pardon which is submitted to the President. That is, under other presidencies.

Of course, the Donald didn't actually bother having any of his pardon candidates reviewed by the Pardon Attorney, because I'm sure he knew damn well that the Pardon Attorney would say, "Roger Stone? General Flynn? Are you fucking nuts?"  Although someone likely reviewed the pardons list to cherry pick for black and brown people to pardon for the Republican Convention video.

It may be that they are so short staffed at the WH now they decided to use the Pardon Attorney to organize the list of people to pardon.

Thread found on conservative Reddit:

Twitter Purge: Conservative Social Media Personalities Report Losing Thousands of Followers

It had to be pointed out to these hyperventilating dummies that if you lose thousands of followers, that’s not a Twitter purge; it’s your own followers disavowing you. Most of them, however, shrugged off this fairly obvious line of reasoning, choosing instead to continue to believe in the Grand Unified Theory of Twitter Can Fuck Right Off.

It is funny to scroll down from many of the twitter links that have been provided in this thread and see how many people are saying things like, hey, I lost 100 followers overnight! Someone posted a link to "the night of a thousand knives", where there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth and accusations of The Great Purge, orchestrated by the Dems and Facebook and Twitter and silicon valley.

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I hate t

I hate to disillusion you, but yes indeed, there is a WH Office of Pardon Attorney. Applications for pardons go to the Pardon Attorney for review and consideration, and then the Pardon Attorney draws a list of candidates for pardon which is submitted to the President. That is, under other presidencies.

Of course, the Donald didn't actually bother having any of his pardon candidates reviewed by the Pardon Attorney, because I'm sure he knew damn well that the Pardon Attorney would say, "Roger Stone? General Flynn? Are you fucking nuts?"  Although someone likely reviewed the pardons list to cherry pick for black and brown people to pardon for the Republican Convention video.

It may be that they are so short staffed at the WH now they decided to use the Pardon Attorney to organize the list of people to pardon.

Well that's depressing. 

So on top of Rudy’s genuinely hilarious “what happened to Parler” tweet last night, he also tweeted out “what happened to @POTUS”. This is reportedly one of the four people who currently have access to Trump, and he literally has no idea what’s going on. 

Rudy's rehearsing his insanity defense, is what a more cynical observer might think. Putting up the lovely senile old man act, who doesn't quite undertand what's going on.

What movie is this, what's going on with this weird little man demanding trial by combat?

Well, it's an improvement over her curtains. Yes, I found the curtains in her office to be almost as tasteless as that right wing nut in her chair in that photo. And yes, afaik, MPs can decorate their own office space, those curtains were her decission.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

At the time I said the pilot should have landed the plane at the nearest airport and had the pack of them taken off and charged with whatever offense they charge those types of people with.

While I certainly agree airlines should ban anybody harassing politicians - or any other passengers - on flights (as I think any reasonable person would), I sure hope none of them adopt a policy of landing at the nearest airport to kick them off.  That could get quite disruptive, flying is annoying enough already.

2 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Just like labeling what happened on Wednesday as domestic terrorism is problematic because of a portion of the population's view of BLM and burning police precincts and other things.

I think I've settled on insurrectionists as my preferred term for them.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

He means a pool ball.

Heh.  The friend/colleague I play(ed) pool with the most is from Manchester.  We have a perpetual conflict in recognizing/calling them solids (the correct term) or spots.

50 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I hate to disillusion you, but yes indeed, there is a WH Office of Pardon Attorney.

Not sure why the office itself should be disillusioning.  The office is designed to identify/determine applicants that are actually deserving of pardons.

Capitol Trump Supporters Attack AP Photographer for 'Being Antifa', beat him up, throw him over a balcony...

(One other guy helped him up, declaring "no he's not." Good thing he didn't have any tuna cans with him...)

Archived