Watch, Watched, Watching: Three Monkeys Edition

Ran

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Checked out the first one and 1/2 episodes of Netflix-Germany's Tribes of Europa.   It stinks, it's so awfully stupid with world building and characterization, as well as derivative of every post apocalyptic tv, movie and novel from any period you have seen and read. Looks as cheap and cheesy as the script. The only good thing are views of what are forests in presumably German, Czech Republic and Croatian forests. 

Everyone was hyping this up. Balls if it sucks. 

@DMC,

I have not read your last comment. I said some things, you said some things, life goes on. You're an asshole, sometimes, but one I like and more importantly, respect and appreciate. So :cheers:. I'm smoking some of the little I have left as I watch The Beach.

I watched I Care A Lot which just showed up on Amazon Prime. I thought it was good, Rosamund Pike is great at playing these monstrous but compelling characters and Peter Dinklage was a good antagonist for her. It's well directed although the there's not a huge amount of depth to the plot and it gets a bit implausible at times.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:12 AM, Ran said:

Some names I'd add: Wong Kar-wai, Alfred Hitchcock, Andrei Tarkovsky, Robert Bresson, Michelangelo Antonioni, Jacques Tati, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Bernardo Bertolucci, Kenji Mizoguchi, Yasujirô Ozu, Zhang Yimou, Ken Loach, 

Zhang Yimou thank you, was definitely coming to post that.

I've always been a fan of RDJ's Sherlock Holmes films, but I don't think I've ever watched them back to back before. My understanding is most people say the second film is better, and Jared Harris' portrayal of Prof. Moriarty might be the best performance between the films, but I have to say the first film may actually be better. The runtimes are nearly identical, but the second film feels like it's at least a half hour longer. It lacks the brilliance of A Game of Shadows, and yet, I kind of want to see it again more.

I'm also left wondering which Holmes film I saw in junior high in the early 2000's from the 80's or 90's. It also featured Moriarty in a fun cat and mouse game, but alas, I'm clueless. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've always been a fan of RDJ's Sherlock Holmes films, but I don't think I've ever watched them back to back before. My understanding is most people say the second film is better, and Jared Harris' portrayal of Prof. Moriarty might be the best performance between the films, but I have to say the first film may actually be better. The runtimes are nearly identical, but the second film feels like it's at least a half hour longer. It lacks the brilliance of A Game of Shadows, and yet, I kind of want to see it again more.

I'm also left wondering which Holmes film I saw in junior high in the early 2000's from the 80's or 90's. It also featured Moriarty in a fun cat and mouse game, but alas, I'm clueless. 

A Game of Shadows is interesting in that it’s essentially a remake of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film. Hell, both films have the same antagonist with the same goal (triggering WW1 early).

I prefer the first one though.

11 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

A Game of Shadows is interesting in that it’s essentially a remake of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen film. Hell, both films have the same antagonist with the same goal (triggering WW1 early).

I prefer the first one though.

I never had connected the two works, but you're right. I'm reading Watchmen for the first time and plan on checking out some other works Moore did. V is up next, but that could come after. Personally I always liked the movie, but damn did Connery leave money on the table by picking that over being Gandalf in LOTR.

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I preferred the first one, I thought that while neither was a traditional adaptation the first did work better as a detective story. Jared Harris as Moriarty probably is the highlight of the second film.

Supposedly there's a third film meant to be out sometime, although film release dates seem to be works of fiction at the moment.

47 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I preferred the first one, I thought that while neither was a traditional adaptation the first did work better as a detective story. Jared Harris as Moriarty probably is the highlight of the second film.

Supposedly there's a third film meant to be out sometime, although film release dates seem to be works of fiction at the moment.

Hey, RDJ does need work again given his time with Marvel is at an end.

Just watched Tribes of Europa.  It was super trashy, but in a kind of endearing way, and also entertaining. Will probably watch a second season if they make one.

Watched Grosse Pointe Blank for the first time in like 15 years and really enjoyed it, not sure how much of that was nostalgia or if it's just a decent comedy with a great soundtrack.  Dan Akroyd was even funnier than I remembered.

33 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Will probably watch a second season if they make one.

You have far more patience, a stronger stomach, and maybe more time? than do I! Like Britannia, couldn't even get through the second episode of this trash.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Basil the Great Mouse Detective?

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, an excellent children's movie. I'd also recommend The Rescuers and An American Tail.

You’re right, those are great films too. There’s something about mice having a whole low level lifestyle in the full size human world that just works.

Have run through a number of movies and shows recently.

Peaky Blinders

- Loved every minute of it. Pretty much the English equivalent of Boardwalk Empire minus the music at times. Arthur Shelby is an absolute beauty of a character. Would say this is a top 10 show for me. 

Sinner Season 3

- Still working our way through it, but enjoyable. Can't see it ever matching the first season with Biel.

Freaks and Geeks

- Working my way through this as well, but I love it. Cool to see all the actors who turn out to be huge stars in their early days. The music is awesome.

Deadwood

- Yes, I've decided enough is enough, and finally am working my way to remove the tv watching taint from my resume, and watching this glorious show. Halfway through season 2 and can already say this is a top 5 show for me. Swearengen and EB are my two favorite characters to share the screen, though plenty of other combinations are right there with them. All I see and hear is Bill from tLoU when Dan Dorrity is on the screen lol. Sure it's the exact opposite for most people who've seen the show already. 

Rogue One

- Was a fun watch. I'm not into the lore of Star Wars so I have nothing to nitpick that a super fan might. Entertaining couple hours.

Love Simon

- I'm a sucker for any coming of age/high school movie. This was right up there with some of my favorites. Nice story and I like Nick Robinson. Fuck the mascot kid. 

- Holy shit. I wasn't ready for how awesome this move is. The single camera shot was fucking amazing. High pace intensity from start to finish. Couldn't recommend enough.

The scene after the dude continues on solo where he crosses the river and the sniper is shooting at him was my favorite scene in the movie. Heart was racing the whole time.

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Ha!  Brittania was so laughably bad it was worth watching.  What can I say, I love me some trash from time to time.

Well, I am rather snobby as to which trash rates as entertaining, you know, like Lucifer -- or, maybe the best ever, The Missouri Breaks.  Or maybe I'm confusing trash with bonkers? :cheers:

Archived