Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

14 minutes ago, sifth said:

Really? What do the say on Discovery?

They build an android body for that discombobulated Trill soul and the doctor says they're drawing on work done for a guy called Picard 800 years earlier. They also note that a lot of the time they build android bodies and try to transfer people into them, it goes badly wrong, so they rarely do it.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

They build an android body for that discombobulated Trill soul and the doctor says they're drawing on work done for a guy called Picard 800 years earlier. They also note that a lot of the time they build android bodies and try to transfer people into them, it goes badly wrong, so they rarely do it.

I see, the whole thing sort of hurts my head to think about. I'm just thankful I gave up on Discovery after season 3. I admit things were starting to improve that year, but the season final showed me that the team behind these products doesn't know any restraint. The universe doesn't have to be ending every year.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Rather contentless but it seems to promise a genuine attempt to recapture some of the TOS feel. Have they said if it'll be serialized or more standalone?

Myers elaborated on the series' approach to episodic storytelling, explaining that the writers wanted to "bring a modern character sensibility" to "Star Trek in the way Star Trek stories were always told. It’s a ship and it’s traveling to strange new worlds and we are going to tell big ideas science fiction adventures in an episodic mode. So we have room to meet new aliens, see new ships, visit new cultures."[37]

That's from wikipedia but

https://trekmovie.com/2020/09/08/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-will-reveal-number-ones-mind-blowing-backstory/

is the source

I'm still 50/50 on Strange New Worlds. Pike was a fun character in season 2 of Discovery, but I know the people making this show, are violence and murder junkies; something I hate constantly seeing in Trek. I want to believe this will be something hopeful and uplifting, but I just don't know.

Still, I gave Lower Decks and try and that ended up being a really great experience, so who knows.

I really want to enjoy Picard as I loved NG when I was growing up but SO much of this annoys me. 

Rios smoking on the bridge? 

I get that people change/mellow over time but  Raffi calling him JL? 

It's like rank etc means nothing anymore in the Federation.

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

I'm really amused by what rattles some people. Now I want everyone to smoke all the time and call each other by their first names in every Trek show. :P

I mean they do mention in Trek that people don’t smoke anymore. They view it as poisoning their bodies. Quark is even shocked that humans were dumb enough to poison their own body at one point in time.

Haven't seen the episode, but at least he wasn't vaping. You'd think in the Star Trek world you could smoke and then just repair the damage.

I've never understood how synthahol works. Like it's just to have cocktails that taste the same but don't intoxicate? That's no fun. Apparently the Romulans are the only ones who know how to party. I'd love to see like "Romulan meth" on Lower Decks. Bonus points if it's blue.

2 hours ago, Macklunkey said:

I really want to enjoy Picard as I loved NG when I was growing up but SO much of this annoys me. 

Rios smoking on the bridge? 

It's like rank etc means nothing anymore in the Federation.

Being drunk on the bridge was the worse breach there I think. Can you imagine someone asking to pitch in and use a computer on the D bridge, while intoxicated? Picard would tear them a new one, if Riker or Worf didn’t intervene first.

Ep 2:

Entertaining enough, but my god there isn’t a single plot point that isn’t stolen from some combination of Yesterday’s Enterprise, Mirror Mirror, Tapestry and The Voyage Home. A whole episode of ‘ooo, wouldn’t it be scary if there was an evil Federation? Imagine that!’.

RIos and his affectation for the cigar while on the bridge...well, Captain's prerogative...and they certainly were trying to be subtly funny every time he seemed about to light it, he was interrupted...though the affectation is something I'd expect out of a more senior captain, and one who hadn't been out of the service for a few years prior to getting that new ship...

Why is the default always "Dark Universe"? Why can't they ever get transported to the hippie orgy dimension?

"Like wow man, we just said, 'fuck it' y'know, and just spent the last 250 years getting high and getting sticky. Someone with rudimentary baking skills could totally rock up and rule this place. Far out."

Archived